PDA

View Full Version : OPINIONS NEEDED -- Dump Trailer ?

capecodlawn
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a new Cam superline, at dealer cost. It's a very good deal, but that's besides the point. I want to be sure it will fulfill all my needs.

My main question: can I somehow attach a leaf vac to the dump trailer, ON EITHER THE TONGUE OR TAILGATE? naturally I would box it up.

Here on the Cape, I do a tremendous amount of spring and summer clean up's, haul brush, debris and the occasional dump run for certain customers. I also foresee using it for mulch, stone and loam.

Need some opinions on dump trailers in general, what are the pro's and con's?

Thanks so much, I need to make a decision by tomorrow....I do not like to make quick decisions. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE -- CCL~

troblandscape
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
opinion:GO FOR IT

mosmgras
04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I built a box for my 6.5 x 14 dump. Sides on the trailer are 24". I built the box 36" tall for a total of about 16.5 cu.yd. capacity. The loader (billygoat 13hp) mounts to the tailgate which swings from the top to unload. I use a mesh tarp to cover.

Last season was my first using this set-up. The loader could stand to be a little bigger, but, overall it works great. Easy on, easy off.

As far as the trailer alone, it's a loadtrail goose neck 14k. I can haul around 5 tons legally. With a set of 24" side extensions I made, it'll haul 12 cu. yds of mulch under the tarp. Pros- tows great, hauls my tractor or bobcat. Cons- sometimes it's hard to get into narrow driveways or onto tight properties.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-05-2007, 08:28 PM
We have a 6X10 Bri-Mar love it you can attatch a leaf vac to the front or back I have seen different ways. The trailers are great for clean ups mulching what ever. I think it would be a good investment for you.
JOSH

turbo5560
04-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I have a conrail dump trailer, 7x14. I can fit at least 16 yards of mulch in it with no problem pulling. Because it's an electric pump it can only dump about 14 yards depending on how it's loaded. I love it! Much cheaper then spending money on a dump truck. Low maintence as well. Only downfall i see with mounting a vac to the back is if it has a swinging gate like mine, would you be able to swing the gate out and be able to dump without messing the gate up or without having to take the vac off every time?

Make sure the trialer is more then what you need. I alway find away to max mine out in one way or another. It's worth the money to get the best one you can get now then regret it later.

capecodlawn
04-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I built a box for my 6.5 x 14 dump. Sides on the trailer are 24". I built the box 36" tall for a total of about 16.5 cu.yd. capacity. The loader (billygoat 13hp) mounts to the tailgate which swings from the top to unload. I use a mesh tarp to cover.

Last season was my first using this set-up. The loader could stand to be a little bigger, but, overall it works great. Easy on, easy off.

As far as the trailer alone, it's a loadtrail goose neck 14k. I can haul around 5 tons legally. With a set of 24" side extensions I made, it'll haul 12 cu. yds of mulch under the tarp. Pros- tows great, hauls my tractor or bobcat. Cons- sometimes it's hard to get into narrow driveways or onto tight properties.

Thanks for the replies, so very much appreciated! Could you tell me how you mount the leaf loader?

capecodlawn
04-06-2007, 05:52 AM
bump this thread

supercuts
04-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a new Cam superline, at dealer cost. It's a very good deal, but that's besides the point. I want to be sure it will fulfill all my needs.

My main question: can I somehow attach a leaf vac to the dump trailer, ON EITHER THE TONGUE OR TAILGATE? naturally I would box it up.

Here on the Cape, I do a tremendous amount of spring and summer clean up's, haul brush, debris and the occasional dump run for certain customers. I also foresee using it for mulch, stone and loam.

Need some opinions on dump trailers in general, what are the pro's and con's?

Thanks so much, I need to make a decision by tomorrow....I do not like to make quick decisions. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE -- CCL~

im usually postive while responding to threads but dont you look at other LCO's while your out, and if so havent you ever seen a dump trailer with a vac on it????? all i want to say is open your eyes, im assuming someone up there has to have that setup. not that all have them here but certainly enough not to ask this question. although i dont like that setup each business is different with different needs.

again, im not usually negative but give some thought to your question and ask it in a helpful manner. id be asking how do others mount them. now your into a hole new thread and now we need to know if you have a vac and what brand and type. i have a swingaway and took the swing off and it mounts just about anywhere but if you can cut or weld metal your in for a surprise

Drew Gemma
04-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Buy a good dmp trailer their are so many cheap brands out their! BUy something with the best axles you can and make sure it has serviceable fittings. The only draw back to dump trailer is being loaded down and trying to back up a hill or hitting something while loades you can damage an axel.

capecodlawn
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
im usually postive while responding to threads but dont you look at other LCO's while your out, and if so havent you ever seen a dump trailer with a vac on it????? all i want to say is open your eyes, im assuming someone up there has to have that setup. not that all have them here but certainly enough not to ask this question. although i dont like that setup each business is different with different needs.

again, im not usually negative but give some thought to your question and ask it in a helpful manner. id be asking how do others mount them. now your into a hole new thread and now we need to know if you have a vac and what brand and type. i have a swingaway and took the swing off and it mounts just about anywhere but if you can cut or weld metal your in for a surprise

Negative? You are just a plain JERK. My eyes are wide open, I have never seen a dump trailer around here with a leaf loader. I called two local shops, they said no. So DAD, thanks for the lecture - :waving:

mosmgras
04-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Cape,

I built a tailgate using 1 1/2" square, 11 ga. tubing. The inside is 'skinned' with 1/2" plywood. The gate hinges at the top using four weld-on (no holes) 3" hinges. The bottom has a 1" pin on each side that slides into the factory latch and holds the gate shut. The leaf loader is mounted on a bracket with the discharge tube going through a hole in the plywood, thus, loading the trailer.

I looked at several designs before building mine. While all of them were great, I felt this design was the one for me because it loads the trailer from front to back and because the entire unit lifts off the trailer in about 10 minutes. I set some 6x6 post with 2x12's running across. I just back the trailer underneath, remove the six 3/8" bolts that secure the box to the trailer, lift the front by hand :weightlifter: and hook up some straps. Then I lift the back with my loader and hook up those straps. All that's left is to drive out from under the box and leave it hanging for the next time. :cool2:

Shuter
04-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a 6 x 10 dump trailer with a 16 hp Billy Goat leaf loader mounted on the front. I builta wood box around it. It works great, I have used it for 5 years. Spring time I remove the loader and box and use it for mulch and stone materials during the season.

capecodlawn
04-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Cape,

I built a tailgate using 1 1/2" square, 11 ga. tubing. The inside is 'skinned' with 1/2" plywood. The gate hinges at the top using four weld-on (no holes) 3" hinges. The bottom has a 1" pin on each side that slides into the factory latch and holds the gate shut. The leaf loader is mounted on a bracket with the discharge tube going through a hole in the plywood, thus, loading the trailer.

I looked at several designs before building mine. While all of them were great, I felt this design was the one for me because it loads the trailer from front to back and because the entire unit lifts off the trailer in about 10 minutes. I set some 6x6 post with 2x12's running across. I just back the trailer underneath, remove the six 3/8" bolts that secure the box to the trailer, lift the front by hand :weightlifter: and hook up some straps. Then I lift the back with my loader and hook up those straps. All that's left is to drive out from under the box and leave it hanging for the next time. :cool2:

I greatly appreciate the detailed reply --- ANY PHOTOS? :clapping:

capecodlawn
04-07-2007, 05:40 AM
I have a 6 x 10 dump trailer with a 16 hp Billy Goat leaf loader mounted on the front. I builta wood box around it. It works great, I have used it for 5 years. Spring time I remove the loader and box and use it for mulch and stone materials during the season.

Where are you on the Cape? Could I come check out your set up some time? Sound like exactly what I need.

I did buy the trailer, delivered yesterday.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-07-2007, 05:47 AM
No one in the Dayton area has this set up either. And I pay attention....sir....

I have seen a couple of dump trucks with pull-behind loaders....

Duekster
04-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I am not sure I have seen a rig as described either. I am not sure about how to attach the leaf vac either.

I would like to see pic's of any rig like this.

If you attach to the tongue I would think you will have issues turning when driving. If you put it on the trailer, would you not have to remove it before dumping?

mowingtowing
04-07-2007, 07:11 AM
my opinion is buy a PJ dump trailer, fab up some 4' sides to go on top of dump trailer sides. Fab up a leaf loader mount and mount the loader on the tounge.
Oh, and for leaves, make hoops that increase your height by 1.5'. I Could haul about 24 yds of chopped up leaves in the fall.

I have since moved the mounts to the middle of the tounge for the vac. Reason it was off to the side was because the jack was in the way last year when I made the mounts and I got a chance to move it this spring in the little down time we had.

The trailer is 6.5x14 and is rated at 14k
I can haul 20yds of mulch and dump it too.
I LOVE MY PJ.

mosmgras
04-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I greatly appreciate the detailed reply --- ANY PHOTOS? :clapping:

I think I have some pics somewhere. If not, I'll go take a few.

supercuts
04-07-2007, 07:29 AM
my apology's to all, they are common enough around here, not that far from MA, thats i was under the assumption somebody up there had to use one. i think lots of guys are going that route so they dont need to tie up their truck with a giant box and to get away from having the loader up in front of the truck, its illegal in CT

mosmgras
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM
I am not sure I have seen a rig as described either. I am not sure about how to attach the leaf vac either.

I would like to see pic's of any rig like this.

If you attach to the tongue I would think you will have issues turning when driving. If you put it on the trailer, would you not have to remove it before dumping?

My loader is tailgate mounted. It's bolted to a bracket that's welded to the gate framing. To dump, the tailgate is unlatched and the bed lifted. The gate swings open with the loader attached. Once the bed is fully extended, I drive forward and the gate slides along the top of the leaf pile as it exits the trailer, usually in one big 'brick.'

I'll get some pics.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
most the the cities here have leaf pickup from the curb. I am interested in fabing a mini setup for the lawns in the one town that doesn't. I was thinking about boxing the front 4 feet of my trailer and using a cyclone rake loader. Just to load small amounts of leaves......That way I could still haul mowers, etc.....

mowingtowing
04-07-2007, 10:38 AM
dont know why i did a second post... weird.....

pjslawncare/landscap
04-07-2007, 03:09 PM
my apology's to all, they are common enough around here, not that far from MA, thats i was under the assumption somebody up there had to use one. i think lots of guys are going that route so they dont need to tie up their truck with a giant box and to get away from having the loader up in front of the truck, its illegal in CT
Daricek, it takes a big man to say "Im sorry". When I read your previous post, I thought "why is he bashing him for asking a simple question, aint that what this site is all about". Glad to see u offer your appology and show us that your a decent person. Ive read many other of your posts and youve always been helpfull to everyone, so I was a little shocked at first, but Im glad your not really a basher after all.

supercuts
04-12-2007, 08:46 AM

i was kind enough to apologize and explain that i thought you were simply being lazy. i also tried to explain im usually positive in my responses. i wasnt trying to be rude and i still offered constructive criticism in my first response as well as explain exactly why i was negative and that i assumed there were some dump trailers in your area when obviously there are not.

i was just shocked to see in my private messages you send me this,"You are a real ******* *******." you need realize that although i know it came across negative i was trying to be constructive and explained that. if you get that mad over a simple comment you have alot of growing up to do. i hope your customers dont see this side of you because it will be your downfall. i was and still am sorry, but now you have some apologizing to do

sincerely Daricek landsacaping

capecodlawn
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
i was kind enough to apologize and explain that i thought you were simply being lazy. i also tried to explain im usually positive in my responses. i wasnt trying to be rude and i still offered constructive criticism in my first response as well as explain exactly why i was negative and that i assumed there were some dump trailers in your area when obviously there are not.

i was just shocked to see in my private messages you send me this,"You are a real ******* *******." you need realize that although i know it came across negative i was trying to be constructive and explained that. if you get that mad over a simple comment you have alot of growing up to do. i hope your customers dont see this side of you because it will be your downfall. i was and still am sorry, but now you have some apologizing to do

sincerely Daricek landsacaping
My reply was made before your mea culpa. Had you been more proactive with your falling on the sword I would have refrained and accepted. I just hope you are a better listener with your customers, and do not make assumptions and generalizations, OK professor

supercuts
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
and next time there is a forum for "trucks and trailers"

Idealtim
04-12-2007, 10:26 AM
There was a guy on here with the name of s3scooter or something like that who built a dump trailer leaf loader unit after monthes of figureing and questioning. But the out come was good - he posted pics in the pictures forum. If I was you I would try to do a 'leaf loader' search in the pictures forum. it should give you some details a mabey answer some of your questions.

LwnmwrMan22
04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
The leaf loader on my dump trailer was quite simple.

I took a 2x10, about 6' long. I then bolted my leaf loader to the end of it.

Most likely, your trailer has a place to slide ramps into the back of it, for hauling a skid steer, compact tractor.

Anyways, pull the ramp out, slide the 2x10 in, and then hook the chain that holds the ramp in place to an 'eyebolt' that's securely mounted through the 2x10.

When you don't want the loader off, just back it up wherever you want to put it, slide the board out, put the ramp back in, and go go go.