PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Truck trans gone??

Creative Lawn Care
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I have a 98 Chevy 1500 4x4 automatic. I was turning in a subdivision today and there was a clunk sound follwed by a grinding from under the truck. Grinding only when truck was rolling. End result is the grinding has stopped, all gears work fine except I have no park. It will shift to park but then still rolls freely just as if it was in neutral. So my questions are this... Is it safe to drive until first of the week? What exactly happened? I assume a piece of linkage or part of a shifter broke? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Restrorob
04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds like the park (cog arm ?) linkage may have broke or came loose causing it to pop into park while moving then possibly snapped it off.
I don't believe I would drive it without dropping the pan and inspecting then retrieving any loose parts.

Sorry I can't give more precise info., I've been out of the auto biz going on 16 yrs.

khouse
04-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, it sounds like the parking pawl broke like Restrorob said. Not a common problem. Pull the pan off of it and take a look. Too bad for you.

SLR
04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Is your '98 used for heavy towing or something demanding? not even 10yrs old and having issues so soon! I still use my old 77 chevy for farm demands,never even touched anything on the trans yet!My 88 either,a 98 though,thats still a new-ish truck,to me anyway.

Creative Lawn Care
04-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes I do tow with it. I pull a 16 ft trailer with 60" ztr and 48" walkbehind almost daily and on occasion I haul the bobcat or tractor. So that is a lot of weight for a half ton truck on a daily basis I guess. I have right at 165,000 miles on it so its not really a new truck. It is at the mechanics now and the whole trans is gone. He said I will have it back by wednesday. Down to the ford ranger now.......

LCPullman
04-10-2007, 12:13 AM
If you've got 165000 miles out of that 4L60, towing a 16ft trailer, your doing pretty good. I generally use only the 4L80 for towing our 16ft landscape trailer.

sildoc
04-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Chevys are know to have problems with their transmisions and they only usually last up to 150000. That is with out pulling. I just sold my chevy because they wanted 3800 for a complete rebuild and the truck was only worth 4500. Sold it for 4000. Bought a ford with heavy duty trans. This is why actually buying a diesel is worth the extra money. Not only do you get a diesel but the trans is hevier duty.

LCPullman
04-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Chevys are know to have problems with their transmisions and they only usually last up to 150000. That is with out pulling. I just sold my chevy because they wanted 3800 for a complete rebuild and the truck was only worth 4500. Sold it for 4000. Bought a ford with heavy duty trans. This is why actually buying a diesel is worth the extra money. Not only do you get a diesel but the trans is hevier duty.

To condition that, GM transmissions, when setup with a proper transmission cooler are every bit as good as a comparable Ford or Dodge transmission. I have run into numerous people who recommend GM auto transmissions because they see more problems with other transmissions.

Chevy trans will last much longer than 150,000 if they aren't towing. I personally would take a 4L60 any day over the Ford half-ton tranny.

And of course, the Duramax has a medium-duty Allison tranny which can't be beat in a 1 or 3/4 ton truck.

ncls
04-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Had to push snow yesterday. Lost reverse in an '04 Chevy Silverado 4x4. 80,000 miles!!! Ruined my week....:realmad:

SLR
04-10-2007, 04:12 AM
This is nuts for these new new trucks!!

lawnboy dan
04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
toyota tundra!

gmcplowtruck
02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
i have a 06 gmc 3500 dump and i lost the tranny at 12000 i am very upset thinking of geting a duramax alisson combo but afraid i might have problems with that that is a lot of money to spend for problems
my truck is still brand new really

topsites
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't play with that, take it to Aamco, better yet call them and have them tow it.
It will cost you 1-200 between tow and diagnostics, beyond that they will tell you what the problem is and the cost to fix it and you can then decide what to do.

Or, drop the pan and see if you find that pawl and remove it, you likely can keep on driving but you have no Park so the E brake will have to be kept in shape and you will not be able to park on anything but flat surfaces.

Odd that a truck would just clunk into park like that, did you move the gear shift while in motion?
Now I'm not saying you did, but there are some who like to shift automatics and this would be the reason why:
Put in D and go and don't ever move that lever again.

bruno_rs
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
my comments are alittle off topic but, i feel your pain. the worst thing you can do to a 1/2 ton chevy trans. is pull a trailer with no trans. cooler. unfortunately, even though i have a cooler on my 90 blazer, she ran (alittle) hot for a couple days and cooked my 700r4. very costly mistake. good luck with your pawl situation. have a good one.

GravelyNut
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
To condition that, GM transmissions, when setup with a proper transmission cooler are every bit as good as a comparable Ford or Dodge transmission. I have run into numerous people who recommend GM auto transmissions because they see more problems with other transmissions.

Chevy trans will last much longer than 150,000 if they aren't towing. I personally would take a 4L60 any day over the Ford half-ton tranny.

And of course, the Duramax has a medium-duty Allison tranny which can't be beat in a 1 or 3/4 ton truck.

Tell that to my 91 G20 with a 5.7 and the automatic. Couldn't keep one in it for more than 35K at a time before the torque converter would chew up the tranny or vice versa. And that was a basically empty van and no towing. With a factory tranny cooler.

Now the Allison equipted 8.1 dually is a whole 'nother story.

LawnBasher
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Tell that to my 91 G20 with a 5.7 and the automatic. Couldn't keep one in it for more than 35K at a time before the torque converter would chew up the tranny or vice versa. And that was a basically empty van and no towing. With a factory tranny cooler.

Now the Allison equipted 8.1 dually is a whole 'nother story.

Ahhh, that 8.1 was a BEAST! Comparable power to the diesels without all the maintenance, turbo issues, injector issues, or the $100 OIL CHANGES. Yeah, I know it got 10-11mpg but so does the GM 6.0 and most other "large" gas engines...ie 5.4L Triton

GravelyNut
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Ahhh, that 8.1 was a BEAST! Comparable power to the diesels without all the maintenance, turbo issues, injector issues, or the $100 OIL CHANGES. Yeah, I know it got 10-11mpg but so does the GM 6.0 and most other "large" gas engines...ie 5.4L Triton
My average is in the high 13s and low 14s. :) Topper on the bed helps. But next run north should be interesting. Trailer in tow that will be basically a 4'HX6'wX16'L flat front box.

topsites
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I will say this much thou, I've paid for more than a few transmissions in my life, not sure how many exactly...
At least 4 maybe 5 or 6, one cost as little as $300 and others as much as $1,200 and that was a long time ago, 3 speed jokers, today's trannies a decent rebuild I was quoted like 2,500 on the ole' 1988 T-bird 4-speed O/D.
It literally gets to that point, dang trans costs more than Kelly Blue Book says the whole car is worth.

This went on until one day I learned this little DIY trick:

Change fluid and filter every 10,000 miles religiously, DIY.
Yes I know exactly how you feel right now thinking of that.
Took more than a few transmissions to convince me, so, maybe ...

I do mine about every 3rd oil change, way I keep records it works out better.
But that has helped considerably, haven't had any real problems since, maybe once in 10 years.

Or, 20,000 miles pay a shop but it's like $120+...
DIY run about 30-40 for fluid and filter (more so if you need Dexron IV) but the real reason I DIY is so I get the chance to inspect the pan for shavings and gunk myself, this tells me if I've been driving it too hard (and it will surprise some days).