PDA

View Full Version : Damaged turf - fix now or wait 'til...?

Lawn-Scapes
07-28-2001, 03:51 PM
Well, lack of rain is taking it's toll on some lawns. One in particular was damaged by insects. It was treated and seems to be under control. The customer wants to know what we can do about all the dead grass. It's roughly a 100' x 100' area with a bunch a dead patches within that area.

Would it be wise to reseed now in these drought condiions? They have no irrigation system and would have to rely on them moving the hose around...

This is a very nice home ($500,000 or higher) and they are a fairly new client...

If they did water religously would the seed take and survive or does it need to be cooler?

Coming from Florida, I don't have a whole lot of seeding experience because we used sod...

Alan
07-28-2001, 05:32 PM
IF you can be sure they will water religiously it's ok to seed now. If the water is there, seed will germinate fast in the hot weather. BUT, if it's sandy soil it's going to take a lot of water to keep 10,000 feet wet. To put 1 inch of water on that 100 x 100 foot patch will take 6,250 gallons. If you can get 5 gpm through a hose and sprinkler (probably 3.5-4 is more realistic) it will take 20 hours to deliver that much. I guess I'd have to judge just how committed the customer is and how soon their enthusiasm will wane.

Lawn-Scapes
07-28-2001, 06:02 PM
Thanks Alan!

Like you said... "IF"

If they did... How often should they water and... when the seed does pop, how long after should they water the new grass? Is it going to be every day for a month... unless it rains? Every other day after so long?

Thanks again.

smburgess
07-28-2001, 07:25 PM
It more than likely be a waste of your time and their money to try to germinate and live at this time of year. It'll need to be watered daily for the first 7 to ten days till it germinates, then 2 to three times a day at least for the duration of the hot weather to have any hopes of surviving. New turf, not having a deep root system to fall back on will burn and die in the heat. That is why it is always recommended overseeding in the fall when temps are down, and you fertilize to help the root system develop over the winter months to stand the less frequent waterings during the summer months.

Alan
07-28-2001, 08:37 PM
If you were to water that patch with a hose and sprinkler you would not shut it off until the rains come, just keep moving it around the area. As an example, if you had an oscillating sprinkler that covered a 25' square you would have to move it to 16 locations to cover the whole thing. I doubt they keep that up for very long.

Lawn-Scapes
07-29-2001, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the help guys...

EJK2352
07-29-2001, 02:09 PM
TSG,
It would be wise to wait till early Fall to do the seeding. Mother nature is much kinder to turf in the fall, with cooler temps. & more rainfall. :) ED