PDA

View Full Version : charge labor as a day?

TFmike
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one who looks at charged labor most as a per day item, not a per hour basis. Most of our jobs are 2 or 3 guys 1 or 2 maybe 3 days. Even if they finish early, like 2 pm, with travel it is not likely we will start another install. Some may do a small spot job or help another crew, but often will do something in the yard that is unbillable.
I hope my point is clear if I project say 13 man hours I would charge or bid it as 2 men 1 day. The customer see only a quote price which includes materials and labor.

McKeeLand
04-06-2007, 08:14 AM
definitely charge by the day. if you have to show up even for 2-3 hrs the last day to finish charge for 8. even if you can go find something to do the rest of the day, you can't always count on it. we always estimate labor and materials together and show approx man hours. sometimes we will use half days if it is only 1-2 hours, especially if it is a aggressive bid to get the job.

PatriotLandscape
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
we always round up to the nearest half day on any project. if we can't be in the truck going to the next job by 11:45 then you need to charge it out as a day because thats how long employees will make it take. We might discount the rounded up labor though.

Foz
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I do NOT bill manpower or equipment in less than 4 hour increments. Don't care what you do, employees will get a full day in whenever they can....no such thing as a 6 or 7 hour project in my book.