PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22

pjslawncare/landscap
04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Ive known this developer for around 9 years or so and he throws a ton of work my way in the form of his subdivisions he developes and word of mouth. Since day one, he has requested that I "hide" mowing charges for his home and the homes of his two sons and daughter and his office in the invoices of the subdivisions so he gets their mowings basically for free. For example, subdivision A = #265 + his home =$55 total $320 invoiced to subdivision A. Lately, Ive realized a small problem however as homeowners associations get formed they are asking me for a breakdown on their prices. If I tell them that the developer is "hiding" his own lawncare, he will abviously be pissed. If I go ahead andkeep prices high, I will most likely get underbidded and lose accounts. Anyone ever run into this type of situation before?? What did u do??

Palmer'sLS
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
baisically explain that unless you are allowed to reveal his lawns, that you won't continue service, and he'll have to find someone else...thats what i've done in the past...there is no good alternative that i've found...yet

or you could add the amounts in slowly, like if each yard was say 20, just charge maybe 23 and make it up that way....either way...someone's coming outta this thing unhappy

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Ive known this developer for around 9 years or so and he throws a ton of work my way in the form of his subdivisions he developes and word of mouth. Since day one, he has requested that I "hide" mowing charges for his home and the homes of his two sons and daughter and his office in the invoices of the subdivisions so he gets their mowings basically for free. For example, subdivision A = #265 + his home =$55 total $320 invoiced to subdivision A. Lately, Ive realized a small problem however as homeowners associations get formed they are asking me for a breakdown on their prices. If I tell them that the developer is "hiding" his own lawncare, he will abviously be pissed. If I go ahead andkeep prices high, I will most likely get underbidded and lose accounts. Anyone ever run into this type of situation before?? What did u do??

Well, you already have the one subdivisions. What's it worth to you to get more??

Personally, I'd talk to the developer. I'd tell him straight up, listen I know you're getting your stuff for free, but I can't "hide" the fees anymore. They're requesting a breakdown. If you want me to keep mowing for you, you're going to have to pay, or get me some new developments to hide the fees again.