PDA

View Full Version : Damn Old Fart

PurpHaze
04-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Started last part of micro-spray conversion in front of a kindergarten building today. This is an area that we cut the drip away from the office planters. Set a new valve to handle it as a completely new zone. The guys that designed and installed the original system 15 years ago were kind enough to leave us plenty of extra wire for this task. (Breaking arm patting self on back.) Only problem encountered was the old fart (me) trying to cautiously dig around a tree root in order to cut it out of the way with loppers when he hit the 2" main line spur with the pointiest part of the trenching shovel. Boy did I get a bath! :laugh:

Monday is a non-school attendance day so we're hoping to finish up then. Depends on whether we start breaking out concrete on a main line repair at another site. :)

sheshovel
04-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Geeeze Purp that was just a little root, Looks to me by the shovel marks on that pipe you were not being very gentle in your digging so that excuse won't fly with me baybeeee!

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Love those close-ups! Sharp tools do less damage than dulls. Pat on back
deserved getting spare wire in.

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Geeeze Purp that was just a little root, Looks to me by the shovel marks on that pipe you were not being very gentle in your digging so that excuse won't fly with me baybeeee!

Maybe a little root She but the ground here was exceedingly compacted. Ground near school buildings requires a 98% compaction rate. :)

UGH! Me Tarzan... You Jane. :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Love those close-ups! Sharp tools do less damage than dulls.

Actually... the trenching shovel I hit it with is only about three weeks old and still has a very sharp point. The pipe was 2" CL 200 so it doesn't hold up as well to impact as SCH 40 does. No big loss as we had to cut it out anyway in order to extend it and install the new 1-1/2" valve. Other than getting soaked the break did us some good. The BF is quite a ways back on the other side of the site and with my bad knee I really didn't go very fast. The amount of water and the hole in the soil it blew away actually helped in the digging effort. :laugh:

Pat on back deserved getting spare wire in.

I never install wiring without extra going into the trench. :)

gusbuster
04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Hayes,
I know you did that on purpose because it was just to darn hot for working, Right!

Oh, you got to love that class 200 pipe.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Hayes,
I know you did that on purpose because it was just to darn hot for working, Right!

The temperature was a redeeming value. :)

Oh, you got to love that class 200 pipe.

Shatter resistance is one of its weaknesses but this is a rarity for us. Just a combination of things worked wrong. :laugh:

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Class 200 shatters if you sneeze.

jerryrwm
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Class 200 shatters if you sneeze.Really? Better tell those golf course guys to quit using SDR-21. Never had a problem with SDR-21 in over 25 yrs. You poke pipe with a sharp end of a shovel, shooter or pick, and it will eventually break. A little common sense when digging goes a long ways in preventing extra work when doing repairs. Others may get different results.

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Really? Better tell those golf course guys to quit using SDR-21. Never had a problem with SDR-21 in over 25 yrs. You poke pipe with a sharp end of a shovel, shooter or pick, and it will eventually break. A little common sense when digging goes a long ways in preventing extra work when doing repairs. Others may get different results.

I'm a 25 yr. guy too...in our "no soil" topography in the NW, I've repaired
waay too much class & had people slam into sch & bounce!

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe a little root She but the ground here was exceedingly compacted. Ground near school buildings requires a 98% compaction rate. :)

UGH! Me Tarzan... You Jane. :laugh:

It's ok Purp, I understand...don't have to explain your actions to me. I know you are the best of the best at what you do baybeee.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
It's ok Purp, I understand...don't have to explain your actions to me. I know you are the best of the best at what you do baybeee.

You're soooo sweet. Prolly the only reason I let you talk to me this way. :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Class 200 shatters if you sneeze.

But you can run more GPM through it with less friction loss in the dinky pipe. :)

Built-in design leeway in smaller diameter pipe (say 2" NPS and smaller): Use the SCH 40 friction loss charts to determine pipe size based on GPM being delivered and then actually install CL 200.

Riddle me this: At what point and above (NPS diameter) does CL 200 actually have a thicker wall than SCH 40?

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Really? Better tell those golf course guys to quit using SDR-21. Never had a problem with SDR-21 in over 25 yrs. You poke pipe with a sharp end of a shovel, shooter or pick, and it will eventually break. A little common sense when digging goes a long ways in preventing extra work when doing repairs. Others may get different results.

I agree Jerry. Been using it for years without many problems. This was just one of those unlucky combination of factors.

bicmudpuppy
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Riddle me this: At what point and above (NPS diameter) does CL 200 actually have a thicker wall than SCH 40?

I believe the correct answer to be 4". At 3" sch40 is still slightly heavier if i recal correctly.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I believe the correct answer to be 4". At 3" sch40 is still slightly heavier if i recal correctly.

Correcto mundo... :clapping: Your case of Otter Pops is in the mail. :laugh:

There is no noticeable difference between them at 3" NPS. For main lines I use SCH 40 4/6/8" and switch to CL 200 at 3" and smaller. You get more GPM through the pipe with less friction loss. Since we don't have to worry about freezing I'm not concerned about using CL 200 even for 1" leading to QCVs.