PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen winter upgrades

Rlclawnguy
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
We have had pretty much all of the problems that everyone has had on here with our Ultra. The spraying was very weak, batter issues with it not staying charged and so on. What we decided to do is put a whole new wire harness in with the voltage regulator. I didn't want to hot wire because I think its important not to have the spray volume be effected by the RPM's. Also we upgraded out battery to a battery that is used for the emergency braking system on trailers. It is a perfect fit and everything works great! It actually starts right up with the auto start and pumps. We haven't used it in the field yet because we have a dusting of snow on the ground right now, but we will be out there next week. We are actually waiting on a Z-max to arrive so we can really get moving.

sclawndr
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Don't want to sound harsh but can't believe you'd take that on a customers yard. It really looks bad. I know looks aren't everything but it's hard for me to ask a good price and then bring in equipment that looks like it's been thru Baghdad. Your Zspray will do you much better!

philk17088
04-06-2007, 02:51 PM
What voltage regulator did you use? I bypassed mine as per PG but idon't like the idea either.

Runner
04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Huh. That is interesting. Pretty cool, and it is an all sealed unit. Innovative, and a good idea.
Also, lol, on the idea of the rough looking PG, I wouldn't sweat it. A little washing and brushing, and perhaps a little new paint on the wheels, it'll be as good as new! I thought painting my wheels John Deere yellow!

indyturf
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Looks like some good info for people with the ultra's. I'm sure you made lots of $$ with the machine to get it looking like it does:laugh:

teeca
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Huh. That is interesting. Pretty cool, and it is an all sealed unit. Innovative, and a good idea.
Also, lol, on the idea of the rough looking PG, I wouldn't sweat it. A little washing and brushing, and perhaps a little new paint on the wheels, it'll be as good as new! I thought painting my wheels John Deere yellow!

yah, i had mine sand blasted and painted them kubota orange (had some left over from the tractor,and they match the wheels on my andersons sr2000) and i painted the carrier john deere green.

Lawn Tek
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll post my mods as soon as I can .
1. welded bolts with threads up so covers could be removed faster with no tools , wingnuts etc .
2. 5.00 plastic murray mower gas tank , still fits through a gate
3. 25 coil hose and coarse droplet wand sprayer
4. holder for above
5. gel cel battery with more power
6 ripped out the punny wiring and added wiring for a real man
7. reengineered the starting system ,mine works
8. will add fenders front and rear and hopper extender if i dont get a z spray
9.will change front tires to good gripping tread .
10 cut off auxzillary trans shaft and plated hole .

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Stainless bolts spot welded in , no wrenches required

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Spray wand and holder

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Here you can see extra gas tank ,with a tool box on top that contains , diaphrams, sparkplug , wrench , tips , screens etc . And you can see the plumbing

Runner
04-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Wow...I really like the gas tank idea. Did you just fabricate your own bracket(s) for that? That is actually a little bit larger than the stock one, too...isn't it? I like your wand setup, also. the pvc holder that is also used as the coil holder is the perfect resolve. Man, you really got me thinking, now. That is cool! I would still want my bottle holder on there, though. There is too often when I just grab the bottle and take it to "spot" a few places.

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Gas tank off an old murray rider ,paid 5.00 at mower dealer .he had a bunch of old murrays . Yea i made the brackets i used regular steel and used stainless welding rods , but stainless brackets would of course be better , but i did not have any laying arround . i run all day on one tank .no wider than the tire

hose holder was light gauge pvc irrigation pipe ,i wanted it to breakoff easy should i take a trip over the bars , i have flipped it twice . drill 2 holes in it small bit all the way through ,large bit on one side only so the screw head will go through . screw it to the bottle holder , and yes it will still hold the bottle . hose is just a blue air hose
once you use the wand though you want touch the bottle , the key is the large droplet nozzle i use on the wand .

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
shot of the plumbing , we can still fill a bottle or bleed the tank

indyturf
04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I like the spray wand attachment. do you have to rev the engine to use the sprayer? I had the first model PG Cavalry, it had a spray wand from the factory. wonder why they stopped putting them on the PG?

philk17088
04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I modified the gas tank too. Iused a plastic tank off an old crafstman. I uses stainless band clamps. I also fabbed a metal hopper cover with plexiglass window and weatherstripping and rubber clamped downs. Had it powder coated. Works fine.
I have a problem with the motor sputtering when you go up a steep hill or hit some bumpy ground. Ireplaced the carb butthat didn't help.
Does anyone know if a honda motor will fit?

Lawn Tek
04-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Indy you dont have to rev the engine ,it sprays very low pressure ,but that is exactly what i want trimming in .

Sputtering Briggs is what mine does also . And not enough power for hills , cant imagine a fat boy riding it . Briggs are junk . Honda of about 9hp electric start is what I was thinking but it has to be verticle shaft although the magnum is horizonal shaft which is alot cheaper . Mcain in08

philk17088
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Indy you dont have to rev the engine ,it sprays very low pressure ,but that is exactly what i want trimming in .

Sputtering Briggs is what mine does also . And not enough power for hills , cant imagine a fat boy riding it . Briggs are junk . Honda of about 9hp electric start is what I was thinking but it has to be verticle shaft although the magnum is horizonal shaft which is alot cheaper . Mcain in08

What about that auxillary shaft that turns the spinner plate? Does honda have that?

teeca
04-08-2007, 01:10 PM
What about that auxillary shaft that turns the spinner plate? Does honda have that?

my shaft gearbox went out saturday, lesco said it's $250! for that price you might find something cheaper, then you could go with the honda.

that PTO shaft is for use on self-propeld mowers, so a honda engine deigned to fit a self-propeld mower should have the PTO. check out www.smallenginewarehouse.com they sell tons of engines at dicount prices, and can set you up with something that will work.

Lawn Tek
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
how would the wet clutch compare to the centrifical clutch ? would shifting be easier ?

DUSTYCEDAR
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
it is quiter no clanging sound and will last longer
it doesnot shift any eaiser as u still have to shift the gear box already on the macine

teeca
04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
i just fill up with gas after 200# (4bags) of product, and fill the liquid up after each 100# (2bags) of product. it's pretty close, the amount of fuel/chemical usage to fert. i would like to see a hydo set up like the lesco HPS, with a larger engine to take the hills alittle better (i'm the fat boy). i'd like to see the z-spray set up like the PG, all the weight on the front DRIVE wheels. i demod the z-spray and if they had 220# on the drive wheels, it would be a true tank, able to take on the biggest hills. my PG does great on hills when you lower the handle bars and walk behind it, better then a push spreader (sometimes).

RigglePLC
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Teeca,
$250! For the platter drive right angle bevel gear, I found this link for my post a couple of days ago. Gears and gear boxes. Right angle bevel gears. More.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=613

Maybe you can replace the stripped gears themselves. Rather than the whole box.
Has anyone successfully accomplished such a fix? Are the gears similar to the gears that drive the wheels on a self-propelled lawn mower?

Does anyone know how to lubricate the gears to prevent gear failure? What lubricant?

Rlclawnguy
04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Don't want to sound harsh but can't believe you'd take that on a customers yard. It really looks bad. I know looks aren't everything but it's hard for me to ask a good price and then bring in equipment that looks like it's been thru Baghdad. Your Zspray will do you much better!

I hear where you are coming from. We were talking about painting the hubs, but actually those are off of a machine that is about 8 years old, our centri. As for the rest we haven't been out yet this year so that isn't exactly how its going out.

sclawndr
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I hear where you are coming from. We were talking about painting the hubs, but actually those are off of a machine that is about 8 years old, our centri. As for the rest we haven't been out yet this year so that isn't exactly how its going out.

PG never looked very good anyway - the company didn't care much about looks and it showed. The Magnum is a huge improvement but fert is tough on everything and it's a constant battle to keep it looking good.

americanlawn
04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Lawn Tek --- You did what I was looking at doing. Thanks.

I have put down the PG's on this site, but the PG's are very maneuverable, and I like that feature. Plus they are front-wheel drive.

Anybody who uses a zero-turn unit knows their liabilities. Hills + takes 3 hands, etc. Unless it's a 4-wheel drive unit, good luck on hills - especially if they're wet.

As of April 9, 2007, the earliest one can buy a Z-Spray is late May. Too bad for most of us. The Z-spray is a zero-turn, rear-wheel drive unit. Nice unit, but rear wheel drive + zero turn does not make for any machine that handles slopes as well as a "front-wheel drive" unit.

I'm sorry, but so far, I see problems with all units on the market.

I hope that somebody will soon develope a unit that sprays well yet operates on slopes.

I don't think it's rocket science. We'll see.

americanlawn
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Note: Vermeer Manufacturing (Pella, Iowa) has expressed interest in developing a unit that solves all the above problems.

morturf
04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I have 4 z-sprays. I have now issues with hills. The rear drive is just something that you get used to. I have done hills that are as steep as they are difficult to walk on. There are no hills that are also mowed I don't do with mine. I work steep hills from the bottom up. If you have only access from the top I back down the hill to bottom and start from there. I very rarely walk behind mine....that is not why i bought it!!

Rlclawnguy
04-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I know my PG was never all that great at doing hills. These machines usually get flipped or tipped at least once a year and it doesn't have to be steep!

Meadowbrook
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Hey now.....as long as it does the job & it does it right. Plus take a look at the truck's door in the background.....if that thing was hauled for service in the winter up there, that explains the rusty wheels. But as long as it works don't complain! haha

Chris

Rlclawnguy
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Well I was wondering how long till someone pointed out that truck in the background, but that actually isn't one of our trucks and we actually haul it in a closed box truck.

teeca
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Teeca,
$250! For the platter drive right angle bevel gear, I found this link for my post a couple of days ago. Gears and gear boxes. Right angle bevel gears. More.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=613

Maybe you can replace the stripped gears themselves. Rather than the whole box.
Has anyone successfully accomplished such a fix? Are the gears similar to the gears that drive the wheels on a self-propelled lawn mower?

Does anyone know how to lubricate the gears to prevent gear failure? What lubricant?

well, i bought the gear box, both shafts, the yellow connectors?, a new spinner plate, and went ahead and got the idler pully... $365 +tax+shipping. this winter i bought (for PM) the upgread flojet pump, battery, a new carburator, and i sandblasted and painted the wheels... i have 300hrs on this ultra, and about $800 in it. my other ones had alot more hrs and didn't have very many problems. when i was ordering my parts, the parts guy at permagreen said 'ya waite till' the transmission goes out, their $475' i said great! what did i ever do to you! the pump deal realy pissed me off, $139 and saw the same one at tractor supply for $49, just didn't have the same plug (but the one i got from permagreen was the same pump rewired with their plug). live and learn i guess. i need this rain to stop so i can make it up
ps.
the gear box is sealed and says 'lubercated for life of pump'

RigglePLC
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Ouch! 800 reasons to be angry. Sealed gearbox below the spinner. So I can't lubricate it--but if it is sealed, maybe fertilizer will not get in. Any other opinions?

4 inches of heavy wet snow in west Michigan. Soil temp 39.

teeca
04-11-2007, 05:28 PM
the gear box is sealed, i take VERY good care of ALL my equipment, daily cleaning with soap/water and removing the covers and cleaning/blowing off fert/chemical from trans and other parts. the gear box was fine when i checked everything out in february, but was locked up an monday... dumb luck i guess. $800 is alot of money, but most of that was PM. i just hate down time, so i replace what i think will be a problem (the trans will have to wait!) only other thing is the engine, those are cheap, less then $200

no snow here! just 4" of rain!

vegomatic40
04-12-2007, 08:38 AM
My only modification to my PG magnum was to sell it to the highest bidder and be done with that poorly engineered P.O.S., then bought 2 Lesco HPS's with the procedes. Never looked back...cheaper,faster more productive. And don't gimme that "but you can't spray with a HPS"...PG doesn't either.