PDA

View Full Version : guarantee

Duekster
04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
How do most of you handle this question without boring the customer with all the details of what can affect the program?

I have southern lawns.

I ofter a pre emergent fall and late winter

Two broad leaf controls ( one with Speed Zone and one with Sulfosufuron for grassy weeds too. ) with a light liquid Fert/iron in the spring.

One straight liquid hit with Iron. Spot treat broads.

One late spring granular with a slow release nitrogen.

Fall Fertilization.

Seven visits with an upsale of trees and Shrubs fertilization, Aeration and insects.

Duekster
04-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Here is the response I sent via - E mail

Our basic program is as Follows.

1 February Pre-emergent - Mow close and apply pre-emergent ( prevents spring and summer weeds of many types)
2 March - Broad Leaf control with a light fertilizer

3 April - Fertilization with quick green up and Broad Spectrum selective weeds killer for many types of Grasses, including Poa Blue Grass, Johnson Grass, Quack Grass and yellow sedge. Also controls, various other broad leaf type weeds. (areas treated with this will not grow many types of crops for a period of time as the material will not let them grow)

Optional - May - Tree and Shrub Fertilization
4 May -Lawn Fertilization - Spot treat broad-leaf weeds.

5 June - Apply a slow release fertilizer - Spot treat trouble weeds like Dallas Grass and Crab Grass ( except St-Augustine lawns)

Recommended - July/ August -Core aerate - Top dress with 1/8 to 1/4 inches of organic materials to build the soil.

6 September - Pre-emergent to prevent winter weed seeds
7 October - Winter Fertilization

Once we rotate through this program most of the weeds will be under control and you will see significant improvement because we have broken the cycle.

In regards to your last question:

A healthy green lawn depends upon many factors not always in our control. Over and under watering, insect damage, as well as the underlying soil are contributing factors. Other factors also include excessive weeds in the neighbors yards.

If for some reason a treatment is not to your satisfaction and you do not see results within two weeks of the application, we will return and determine what went wrong and re-apply if needed.

The way the home builders install the lawns sometimes makes it difficult to develop a nice lawn with fertilization alone. The lawn site is often full of buried construction debris and leveled off with sand. Just as you would till the soil and add compost to a garden, the lawn will benefit from the same preparation. However, this preparation is never done with the typical production home. Core aeration and the addition of amendments is needed with our hard clay soils.

I hope this helps you understand our program better.

Duekster
04-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I guess no one offers a guarantee?

RigglePLC
04-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I just don't get up as early as you Deukster. Snow on gound here--but not as much as predicted--an inch maybe.

About the guarantee. My sales brochure says "Guaranteed results" --nothing more. In my oral presentation I often say, " Resprays are free. If the grass isn't green or the weeds don't die--extra fertilizer is free. So is extra weed control. Just call."

xpnd
04-07-2007, 09:10 AM
The only guarantee I make is to control weeds. I make no guarantee to kill weeds. The difference seems small but in reality the two are worlds apart. I try to get out and see all my lawns at least once a month. I keep a few bags of cheap fert on the truck just for touch ups. Those customers that are only on the weed control/fert service and comment about the lack of green or growth or something receive an app of 100% slow release N fert at a rate of at least 2lbs/1000sft. It doesn't burn the lawn but after about ten days the lawn starts growing like a hay field and the customer starts trusting the program.

quiet
04-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I won't specifically state a guarantee, as there are too may factors beyond on our control, but I will respond to complaints and try to "make it right". For example one customer complained about an app of Barricade being ineffective. I asked if he had watered it in as noted . . . "No, my wife forgot to set the system."

8 days after the app we had an 6" downpour that fell in 2-1/2 hrs!

So I offered to charge 1/2 price on a retreatment and used (much cheaper) pendi. He's happy, and I made $ on both rounds.

On another lawn, a very good customer commmented about the lack of response from the slow release fert I use. I completely agreed with him, and spread Ammonium Sulfate at 1/2 lb N/M. He watered that day. 2 days later, a 1.5" rainfall. Now he thinks I'm the greatest.

My cost to be "the greatest" on his 4,000 sf lawn?

Approximately $2.86 and about 5 minutes of time.

Tscape
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting. Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter. The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times. they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me. - Tommy Boy

quiet
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times.

A hundred times, hunh? Wow. . . that's a tough town. I guess you get that way from watching the Pistons.

RigglePLC
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Pistons got nothing to do with it--i don't think. And my daughter just had a baby. She is fine now. But soil temp is 39 degrees and one inch snow.

Duekster
04-07-2007, 02:56 PM
I just don't get up as early as you Deukster. Snow on gound here--but not as much as predicted--an inch maybe.

About the guarantee. My sales brochure says "Guaranteed results" --nothing more. In my oral presentation I often say, " Resprays are free. If the grass isn't green or the weeds don't die--extra fertilizer is free. So is extra weed control. Just call."

Thanks, the post was put up yesterday. I was bumping it back to the top. :rolleyes:

hmartin
04-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Duekster,

What are you using in April? Certainty?

Duekster
04-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Duekster,

What are you using in April? Certainty?

I am thinking about a similar product, yes. Same active slightly different label.

MrBarefoot
04-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I offer the usual "free weed re-treatments" or additional fertilizer if their last treatment was less then 35 days ago.

I also offer a money back guarantee. If they decide to cancel because they are unsatisfied, then I waive the fee for their last fertilizer treatment, or refund their money. Grub control's, and other premium services are excluded from this guarantee. Furthermore, the guarantee expires 35 days after the treatment.

I know that a few creeps have taken advantage of this. But I have confidence in my program and my products, and it helps distinguish me from my competitors. I end up giving away only a few treatments a year.

Gimp
04-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm new and know I will be setting up all year systems like this eventually. How do you quote these jobs? Where is a good place to start with learning the basics?

Duekster
04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm new and know I will be setting up all year systems like this eventually. How do you quote these jobs? Where is a good place to start with learning the basics?

If you don't have a license the first place to start is with the State Agency.

Most people simply charge twice what the product cost them. You have to be able to determine the true cost of course.

We typically charge $45 an app but will charge more for insect control. Again this depends on size of the area being treated. You can search and find more info on the subject.

Duekster
04-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I offer the usual "free weed re-treatments" or additional fertilizer if their last treatment was less then 35 days ago.

I also offer a money back guarantee. If they decide to cancel because they are unsatisfied, then I waive the fee for their last fertilizer treatment, or refund their money. Grub control's, and other premium services are excluded from this guarantee. Furthermore, the guarantee expires 35 days after the treatment.

I know that a few creeps have taken advantage of this. But I have confidence in my program and my products, and it helps distinguish me from my competitors. I end up giving away only a few treatments a year.

Do you set up a service agreement? Or do you just bill as the service is performed?

Most of my clients are also mow clients and I don't get to tied up with service agreements. I should however but what is the point if you are going to let them out of it for no reason?

Your input is appreciated.

MrBarefoot
04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Do you set up a service agreement? Or do you just bill as the service is performed?

Most of my clients are also mow clients and I don't get to tied up with service agreements. I should however but what is the point if you are going to let them out of it for no reason?

Your input is appreciated.

We do not use a signed contract. Our quote form has a list of terms and conditions printed on the back, and the front of the form tells them that there are terms and conditions on the back.

I also have a policy of not treating anyone unless there account is current, this limits how much I can loose to a deadbeat. If you are going to have a policy that the public can abuse, you should also have business practices that limit how much they can abuse it.

On the other hand, if I also offered mowing, I would want to use a signed service agreement. You'll rack up at least 6 weeks of mowing work before you know if they will pay you (unless you get payment up front). That is more money then one feed and weed treatment, so I would want to put some more safeguards in that relationship.