PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw won't run

scottt
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a stihl chainsaw that won't keep running. If I put a shot of carb cleaner in it it will run for a second and then dies. The filter was caked with wood shavings. Do I need to clean out the carb? If so, how do I get the air fuel mixture back to where it was?

scottt
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
By the way, it's a ms290.

wpark
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm working on an older Stihl chain saw with the same problem. I had to repair the recoil assembly first so I haven't got into the failure to start just yet but here are things I will check:
It's not getting any fuel. To determine this, check the spark plug to see ir it is wet. My case, the plug is dry.
Check for fire. Replace plug. It's a good and inexpensive idea to go ahead and replace the plug. Sometimes, the plug may spark, but it still won't start the engine.
Check the fuel filter inside the fuel tank.
Check and replace the fuel lines. If there is even a pin hole in the fuel line the saw may start, but will cut off because it will pull a vacuum through this pin hole.
Clean the car. with carb cleaner before removing.
Finally, if all the above fail, remove the carb., check the diaphragm, float, and needle valve assembly.
Well, that's about all there is to it. Check for the easy fixes first and work you're way up. One more important thing I left out- FUEL. make sure there's plenty in the tank of the correct mixture and it's not stale.
Hope this helps.

scottr 2006
04-07-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a stihl chainsaw that won't keep running. If I put a shot of carb cleaner in it it will run for a second and then dies. The filter was caked with wood shavings. Do I need to clean out the carb? If so, how do I get the air fuel mixture back to where it was?
If you try to hold the saw up by the starter rope does it drop or unwind slowly ?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Pull the carb off, clean it, and make sure none of the ports are clogged. As far as the air & fuel mixture goes, I know my echo's are 1.5 turns out is factory, but just sit it on the bench and you can adjust it till it feels right.

SLR
04-07-2007, 11:26 PM
If you try to hold the saw up by the starter rope does it drop or unwind slowly ?

For the life of me i cannot wrap my head around this one..what are you saying?

scottr 2006
04-08-2007, 08:59 AM
For the life of me i cannot wrap my head around this one..what are you saying?

It is an easy and quick way to test the compression . It might fire on starting fluid but not have enough compression to run .

mini14
04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
check for cracked/broken fuel lines sounds like your saw isnt geten fuel.

KRH
10-07-2007, 11:16 AM
HELP!!!! I have a 028wb chainsaw.Don't seemto be getting good spark,plug looks fine.Does anyone know what the mag.is to to be set at.Ran fine died now won't start.Clean filter in the tank,won't fire when trying to start it.The reply about the gas line with a hole might be it,haven't checked that yet.