PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Z Spray

rcreech
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I am currently using a PG Magnum and love it, but I am looking at adding a Z-Spray for several reasons (need a second unit anyway, higher gallons, WP etc.)
My question is... I am used to the PG and not used to dealing with a boom. Is it hard to get adapted to? Do you have to back up a lot or does the hydro help to eliminate this?
Just worried about dealing with a boom sticking out there.

Thanks,
RC

ant
04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
you will have no problerm. i asked the same thing last yr. and now i have a brand new perm-a=green in my shop and a z on my trailer and loving it.

Lawn Tek
04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
why don't they go boomless wonder ? i mean it could be made like the permagreen since the spray width isnt that much difference .

rcreech
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I was thinking about the Jr but may be to small, and really like the Intermediate, but concerned about smaller lawns and getting though gates. I have lawns that range from, 4K up to 100K but my avg is about 30-32K. Which size machine would you recommend?

GrazerZ
04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
The boom is the bomb since it is break away and divided up into three sections. I bought the max because I'm shooting more com than resl turf. I use it everywhere though. I have some 5k lawns that I use it on. next I will be looking for a automatic bag loader for it so I don't have to lift those bags anymore. Kidding of course...
I love doing those 50k laws in 20 minutes start to finish. I'm not going back...never!

ant
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

TLS
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Could the reason for the Z-Spray not going boomless be the patent that PG has on a boomless nozzle system?

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Could be ,but would think patent office was a little aggressive if thats true .
Why not tell z spray to keep the boom and just add some perma green style turbo flood jet nozzles. to me with all the things perma green does wrong they nailed it with no booms

turfsolutions
04-07-2007, 01:13 PM
The boomless debate is kinda :hammerhead: if you ask me. The z spray intermediate and max has a folding boom divided into 3 sections with 4 nozzles (one left, one right, two middle). So if you want it to be a perma green simply fold the boom back and only spray out of the center 2 nozzles. Not sure why anyone would prefer this as the boom extended sprays a 9.5 foot wide swath. I don't think a narrower spray swath would be patented, who the heck would not want to spray wider? With the finger tip controls you can spray just the right nozzle, just the left nozzle, just the center nozzles, just the right and center nozzles, just the left and center nozzles, or finally just the right and left nozzle. Or if it is a tight area, just use the 50 foot hose for spot treating.

I personally would go with the intermediate to answer your question. Just my opinion though.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-07-2007, 01:33 PM
With all the complaints about PG's poor weed control abilities, WHY would you want to take an awsome machine like the Z-Spray & turn it into a PG???? Thats like taking a Mercedes & putting Yugo parts on it??:hammerhead:

Tscape
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Could the reason for the Z-Spray not going boomless be the patent that PG has on a boomless nozzle system?

No. .

bntt68
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Z-sprays Rule!!!!!!!!!!

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I never said the permagreen is better than a z spray . I personaly hate booms , they are a pain , I can spray 11 foot wide with a perma green without booms and i have sprayed thousands of lawns not a few hundred with excellent weed contol out of a permagreen In fact scotts arround here only uses permagreens that should tell you something . anyone who says a permagreen does not give excellent weed control doesnt know what they are doing . my customer renewal rate is over 97 percent .I like the z spray but do get why they dont toss the booms

cemars
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
I never said the permagreen is better than a z spray . I personaly hate booms , they are a pain , I can spray 11 foot wide with a perma green without booms and i have sprayed thousands of lawns not a few hundred with excellent weed control out of a permagreen In fact scotts arround here only uses permagreens that should tell you something . anyone who says a permagreen does not give excellent weed control doesnt know what they are doing . my customer renewal rate is over 97 percent .I like the z spray but do get why they dont toss the booms

You must realize these are 2 different machines. I have owned all 3 Perma Green models and have a Z-Max as well. For large properties, and I mean commercial 5-50 acre properties, the z-spray is with out equal. It can carry enough material to fert and weed over 2 acres with out going back to the truck. It is faster than the PG, extremely manuverable, easier to jump curbs, can climb any hill, and it can go hundreds of hours at a time without a glitch. The boom system is one of my favorite features of the Z-Spray, a few days ago I did a commercial property that was almost entirely weed free except for the first couple of inches of turf next to the curb on a mile long roadway. I just shut off the left and middle valve and adjusted the pressure on the right so I could run on the pavement a 7mph and hit the curb area. My PG just can't compare on a job like this. Not to mention the adjustable impeller speed that can throw 25 feet wide on open areas. Having said that, I also like my new PG because it is smaller and can be carried on the back of a pick-up on a rack, it is narrower and fits througn smaller areas, and i cost a few grand less. It is much better made and has less break downs than my previous PG's. It is a great machine on 5-10 k sites but gets left in the dust on larger stuff compared to the Z. These are both good machines, its a matter of which is better for your situation. You will find alot more loyal Z-spray users than Pg's because z-spray got it right from day 1 whereas PG took years to get their machine right.

Lawn Tek
04-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I realize z will do larger props. faster . But still think boomless on a z spray would be better for smaller stuff the perma green does . And permagreen still does not have it right i.e. peerless transmission . Boom sprayers we have had employees use == trouble . with boomless we have never had to fix anything

sprayboy
04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Not familiar with the perma green but if you can spray 11 ft with 2 nozzles is the smallest 5/ 5.5 with one? The smaller z's have a shorter boom than the z-max and can be turned down to 1 nozzle, very narrow pattern if needed. I have not had any problems with booms and like them. If employees are tearing the booms off then I think that is a human problem, not the machines fault.

Tscape
04-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Good point sprayboy. What kind of neanderthals are you hiring Lawntek? They can pass certification exams but you can't trust them with equipment?

Lawn Tek
04-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Calling me a neanderthal ? Passing a certification test is irrevelant .I have wacked a boom back in the day when we used them , and i don't like unfolding , worrying with them ., plain and simple boomless works , and is faster and won't get torn up

Tscape
04-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Read the post again, Sparky. Nobody called you anything. Or maybe you don't read so well.

Lawn Tek
04-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Maybe your a smarta**

Tscape
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Did you read your post again and then call me a smartass, or did you just fly off the handle and call me a smartass first?