PDA

View Full Version : In need of new 21 walk behind

johnhenry
07-29-2001, 01:38 AM
I'm in need of a 21 inch walk behind .My old snapper finally gave in. I did some searching on this subject but hoping for some new insight.It seem like alot of threads went for lawn boy but since toro has them now have they changed them my other choices in my area besides a toro or lawnboy would be a Honda which I have heard some great reviews on. And a white.My local dealer carries the white Anyone know anything about them.I check out the new snappers today but they are really looking cheap.And walmart carries them now also so enough said about the future of snapper.Any insight on this would be very helpful.

Sammy
07-29-2001, 01:42 AM
I bought the Honda this year. Starts on firdt pull even when it has been rained on.

Scag48
07-29-2001, 02:14 AM
I've got a Toro residential 21". I really don't see much difference between cutting capability between it and its commercial counterparts. I would recommend Honda as well. I would definately buy a Honda next time if I new exactly for sure that it mulched as well as my Toro. The controls, handling, and hydro system on the commercial Honda (loaded model) are far superior to Toro, therefore making it my choice. Now to find out if it mulches worth a darn. Good luck with the search. I highly suggest either of these brands. Both will give you years of service with proper care. Later.

vipermanz
07-29-2001, 03:14 AM
my lb runs in tha rain!!!!!

lawnboy alllllll theeeeeeee wayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!:blob3:

Brieldo
07-29-2001, 10:17 AM
Perhaps the best 21" I've seen is the John Deere JX85. John Deere took the deck from its high end 21"s and added unique commercial duty parts everywhere else. For instance, the differential for the self-propel system is made my Kanzaki and is 75% stronger than the residential model. The wheels are aluminum with rubber tires. The height adjusters on the side of the deck are steel with metal holes in them instead of just using the u-shaped holes that are part of the deck/discharge area. Standard Oil filter, dual air filtration, 6hp Kawi engine which performs flawlessly. I'd definely take a look at one. Also, it has 5 speed transaxle which allows for many options when mowing...I keep it in 4 or 5 and it doesnt miss a beat=) Just my $.02

TheLawnBoy
07-29-2001, 10:32 AM
I bought a Honda 2 years ago and it has been great. The model is HRB215 i think. It has that Xenoy deck. There has only been one repair done by the shop and that was just after we got it. I think i took off the air filter and some dirt got in the carburater and it wouldn't run. They said they soaked the carbuater overnight in solvent or something put it back together in the morning and it went fine. Since gas repairs weren't covered by the warranty they charged us 30 bucks. There was also a little routine maintenance that we did this year. Just readjust the cables and flywheel brake. It doesn't have the self propelled option i didn't spring for that but since most of our lawns are fairly small it doesn't seem necessary. I did buy the mulch kit this year and it seems to work very well. It takes moderately thick grass before you can see some left in cakes along the wheel track. I am thinking about buying another at the end of the season so i guess that is as good a recommendation as any.

Andy

Kent Lawns
07-29-2001, 10:40 AM
I still like the Craftsman.

We do equipment cost studies and found them the cheapest to own/operate.

I used to run the $1000 21" (Including Toro, JD, Kubota & LawnBoy) and just haven't found them cost-effective as the Craftsman.

~Disclaimer: I did not operate the equipment myself, nor do we run them 40hrs./week. Those differences will make your suitability different than mine.

script
07-29-2001, 10:41 AM
Scag48 I ran the com. Honda and I still run the Toro, and as far as the mulching, the Toro is by far a better mulcher . Just in my opinion the better mulcher would be the Toro with pretty good bagging capabilities also. The Honda is a great mower that mulches better than the Snapper but not close to the Toro, but has better bagging capabilities than the Toro. And the Snapper bags better than both but as far as mulching it comes in last. The Toro and the Honda are both 3 years old, the Snapper 2 years old, and all three are commercial 21's. I guess the type of grass that you cut may make a difference, but I cut mostly St. Aug and Centipede. So in my opinion I like the Toro. Hope this helps a little.

Bobby

Eric ELM
07-29-2001, 10:50 AM
Kent Lawns

Please add your location in your profile or email me with what state you live in so I can add it. It is now manditory for new members to put in their location before becoming a member, so you need to add yours also.

Thanks
Eric

LeoS818
07-29-2001, 01:17 PM
We"ve had toros,snappers, lawnboys. But i agree the best ones we"ve had are the DJ JX 75s. Just like the JX 85 but with plastic wheels. We had the oll filter kit added for about $40.

Mowingman
07-29-2001, 04:17 PM
I would stay away from the JD JX85. I have run 7 of these top of the line JD mowers, and currently still have 3 of them. The 2 I bought last year are junk. Both lost blade clutches in less than one year. Thank God for warrenty. Both have had trans. go out. One was in warrenty, the other was 31 days out of warrenty and at first, JD would not even discuss helping with the repairs. The dealer complained to the local JD rep and finally Deere covered the trans under warrenty. I think JD has cheapened up these machines in the last year or so. Parts are so expensive that when I have another major failure, I will replace the mower with a Toro or LB. I can strip one JX85 for parts to keep the last 2 running.:angry:

joed
07-29-2001, 07:29 PM
I run both the John Deere JX85 and the Toro with the 6.5 BS engine. Both machines are very good. Toro mulches better and its huge bag holds double John Deere's load. However, it is a tad poor in tall grass because of those deflectors. The Kawaski engine on the John Deere is marvelous and the machine's huge deck leaves an excellent cut. As well, that huge deck really helps out in tall grass. It is a decent mulcher and it bags well except that the bag is a tad small. Though the Toro has a lower rated speed, it seems to go faster. You can't go wrong with either one but I think I would go for a Toro with the Kawaski engine simply because it mulches better and bags better. I also think the new model's speed is up to 4.2 mph. That's faster than deere.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-29-2001, 07:53 PM
I hate to admit it but I have a craftsman and it works great. It's about 4 years old , havent changed the oil once. and it starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I use it maybe once every two weeks or so if that at this point. used to use it alot when I had smaller accts. It has a 5.75 hp crapsman engine of some sort. The part that I really like is the deck set up .. It has swivel castors on the front and large wheels at the back. Works awsome for trim work..

kroll
07-29-2001, 08:28 PM
I had a White LC215 traded for a Cub Cadet
S621SS have had it for 3 Wks. and think I
made a good trade have been very pleased with
Quality of cut and performance.
After I found the throttle adj.It's
right on the carb. I ran it for half a day before
I figured I could turn the throttle up
works even better now (duh!

Scag48
07-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Scapeasaurus-I'd change the oil in your Crapsman or it won't last very long.