PDA

View Full Version : Fence Post Holes

lawnspecialties
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
OK, here's a new one for me.

I have a good friend who has his own general contracting business. We have a small punch list for him (or one his guys) to do for us since we're about to put our house on the market.

Well, he and his wife call me today and ask if I have a post hole digger for my tractor. "Of course", I responded.

"Well, we're thinking about fencing in about three or four acres out back and that would be a lot of holes to dig".

So of course I suggest we work out a little work swap here.:)

Now the big question. How in the world do I charge for post hole digging? By the hole? By the hour? Obvoiusly three or four acres would be worth a fair amount. But never doing a job like this, has anyone done anything similar and if so, how did you charge?

mattfromNY
04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I just drilled 41 holes monday 36" deep with a skid steer and a 12" auger for a fence we're building. When I went into it I figured 10 minutes per hole would be fair (410 minutes). I was a little high on my estimate, some took a little less, some more when we hit rocks or the drill wandered. It took us about 6 minutes per hole average. I charged by the hour, and made out OK. I dont think I'd gamble and charge per hole, just b/c of how much the ground changed from hole to hole in only 100 feet. One minute we were in clay, the next into shale, and then to cobbles!
When we set poles for my garage, we couldn't drill, we used a backhoe and pulled rocks the size of car hoods out of the ground!
Obviously, your ground is different from ours up here, but I would still charge by the hour just to be safe. My 2 cents.

Bigred350
04-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Charge by the hour. How much to charge is up to you.