PDA

View Full Version : Hey Boots Manifold Pics (FIMCO)

Remote Pigtails
04-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, I don't even know how to tell this one. I could go on for hours, quote philosophers, sing psalms and still not tell the story.This customer I've had for about 4 years put this system for 960.00 in 1973. Still had the original plan and contract. It uses a FIMCO hydro indexing valve. Four zones. I hate these things more than any irrigation product I know to exist. I begged them when they first called to abandon the system and put a new one in. They knew the system was bad and were willing to live with the best I could do. Elderly couple, husband has alzheimers, fixed income, you know the story. Anyway the hydro indexing valve went out. I told them the best solution was to replace it with four valves and run new wire to the clock. She was uptight over the cost so I (against my better judgement) said I would try to find a replacement. I called an old old secret supply house to see if they had one and unfortunately they did. Last one in Dallas.

Sipping beer:cry: :drinkup:

Anyway I'll stop my story for now and post pics. My assistant Henry age 22 did all the work and took the pics. One tip-the original FIMCO was installed upside down.

Remote Pigtails
04-06-2007, 11:25 PM
more pics

sipping beer:cry: :drinkup:

Dirty Water
04-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Dear god.

I hate to say this, but I think your assistant needs a lesson clean glueing, and proper pipe repair techniques :D

All of the original pipes were nicely aligned, I don't see why the need for such wacky angles out of the indexing valve....But whatever.

I'd rather use an extra 90 and keep things straight then turn them at odd angles like that. Personal preference.

Jason Rose
04-07-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm no expert, but you said the original one was "upside down"? It sure looked better that way! Why not just put the new one in the same way? It worked fine for 34 years like that before...

Iv'e never seen a valve like that before though, I assume it indexes to the next "zone" when the water is turned off and then back on again?

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Dear god.

I hate to say this, but I think your assistant needs a lesson clean glueing, and proper pipe repair techniques :D

All of the original pipes were nicely aligned, I don't see why the need for such wacky angles out of the indexing valve....But whatever.

I'd rather use an extra 90 and keep things straight then turn them at odd angles like that. Personal preference.

He did fine. I know that he used primer and Turftite. Plus I suggested he glue his elbows on before putting it in the ground. It's not every day you glue something like this so leeway is necessary. If all the joints hold I'm happy. After all it gets buried. Study the pics a little more and I'll tell the "REST OF THE STORY". It is nothing Henry did.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm no expert, but you said the original one was "upside down"? It sure looked better that way! Why not just put the new one in the same way? It worked fine for 34 years like that before...

Iv'e never seen a valve like that before though, I assume it indexes to the next "zone" when the water is turned off and then back on again?

That is correct. One valve two wires and it will index each time it is on and off. Needs to be a delay between the on/ off cycle. It could have been serviced the other way. We put it in a 10" round valve box. I'm waiting for FL irrigators to defend this atrocity to irrigation.

Ed G
04-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Holy crap!

This DIY'er must have lost that page in the Stryker tutuorials..." cut pipe in multiple lengths, throw pipe on ground into pile, put on blindfold, put cement into squirt gun, take hit of mescaline and assemble".

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Ed you live in FL. Aren't these hydro-indexing valves pretty common there? If we had put the new one in upside down like the original it would have been real easy to glue back in nice and straight. If the original had been glued right side up we could have possibly left it in and tried to get repair parts for it. There is a bigger picture issue than the pipe gluing. Think of that as a secret underground piece of art work that a future archaeologist will discover. In other words try not to fixate on the gluing. I am bold enough to suggest that none of us at 22 without someone standing over them screaming could have done much better. Also what you don't see is a 30+ year old oak that was 4' away. The roots limited the hole size. I pride myself on flow charting problems and making good decisions for customers that might be more costly now but save money down the road. I'll add to the story later.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm jealous. :) ~ One thing in favor of the monstrousity, is that it can probably function on dirty water.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Henry (my assistant) is going to take the old one apart and if his feelings aren't too hurt with all the comments on the glue job we might get some understanding from this monster.

Greenguy1
04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
did you say 2 wires? the one I replaced had no wires, I monkeyed with that thing for a year before I finally put in an electric set of valves, sometimes it worked sometimes it did not, it drove me nuts, but the theory is quite simple.. a timer and solenoid to turn the water on and off 4 times (this valve is a 4 zone)each time it turns off the water ratchets the valve to the next zone, simple but not reliable, I haven't seen one since except yours.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd hate to have to winterize a Fimco. I don't think they love cold weather, and extended periods of inactivity. What is the model number of the replacement?

BSME
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I think he did a good job. My glueing doesnt look any better... but we're mostly poly. Has anyone ever had a customer complain about sloppy glueing that they don't have to look at because it's underground?

thanks for sharing the pics

SprinklerGuy
04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
We used to dig up WATERROTORS occassionaly....6 zone indexing valves.

No wires, one master valve at PVB.....runtimes were dependent on model # of the rotor.....

I used to love explaining these things to new techs...or new homeowners...

Funny thing, they could be rebuilt also....but I never got to because they were never installed in a "handy" spot, if you know what I mean.....

I used to buy them rebuilt from a local guy....he also makes the sucktube :)

As for the sloppy glue job...I think it is fine as well.....part of the reason I like irrigation...you can bury the ugliness.....

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd hate to have to winterize a Fimco. I don't think they love cold weather, and extended periods of inactivity. What is the model number of the replacement?

It doesn't have a model number. My understanding is that the maker no longer exists.
You might enjoy the breakout sheet and trouble shooting guide.

DarkLotus
04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately, Florida still LOVES indexing valves. :( Prior to coming down to South Florida, I had asked what products were being used, and my jaw dropped as I heard indexing valves were common, still. I believe Fimco valves are still available, at least at Florida Irrigation Supply. We normally sell the K-Rain index valves. Ugh.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, Florida still LOVES indexing valves. :( Prior to coming down to South Florida, I had asked what products were being used, and my jaw dropped as I heard indexing valves were common, still. I believe Fimco valves are still available, at least at Florida Irrigation Supply. We normally sell the K-Rain index valves. Ugh.

Do customers ask for them. I mean does a conversation like this occur. "I want an indexing valve sprinkler system like I had at my other house." Or is it installers not giving an alternative. Not trying to be mean I am just mystified.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 11:41 AM
There is an attractive simplicity to the indexing valve. You can use a on/off electromechanical controller to power a pump on a well point. No solenoids or diaphragms. Fimco has a website, and if your life was incomplete without an indexing valve, I'd guess that JDL could get you one.

Dirty Water
04-07-2007, 11:53 AM
As for the sloppy glue job...I think it is fine as well.....part of the reason I like irrigation...you can bury the ugliness.....

Except that all that extra primer has softened the pipe, and a lot of those angles are pretty poor. I wouldn't want to be the one to make the next repair.

PurpHaze
04-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Henry (my assistant) is going to take the old one apart and if his feelings aren't too hurt with all the comments on the glue job we might get some understanding from this monster.

Tell Henry to not listen to Jon. Jon used to assemble all his pipe connections while sitting at the local Starbucks' outdoor (a small restaurant where drinks and snacks are sold) area where it's nice and clean. :laugh:

[Apparently the shortened version of "cafeteria" is a forbidden word to use.]

Working in confined, befuddled spaces often leads to primer and glue drips all over the place. If I have a choice between wiping off pipe to make it pretty for a picture or holding a particular connection a little longer to insure that it properly seats and holds, I choose the latter. :)

BUT... Tell Henry to keep his boots out of the way of the pictures. :p

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I know very little about any irrigation outside DFW. I suspect you have given me part of the answer. I've heard they install a lot of well pumps in FL and that is adding some sense to the product. They had an old Davis timer and my first job was replacing that with a RB module timer and programming in a delay between zones. Servicing this thing is a biatch cuz you have to hit the remote button four times to turn the same zone on or off.

Dirty Water
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Tell Henry to not listen to Jon. Jon used to assemble all his pipe connections while sitting at the local Starbucks' outdoor (a small restaurant where drinks and snacks are sold) area where it's nice and clean. :laugh:

[Apparently the shortened version of "cafeteria" is a forbidden word to use.]

Working in confined, befuddled spaces often leads to primer and glue drips all over the place. If I have a choice between wiping off pipe to make it pretty for a picture or holding a particular connection a little longer to insure that it properly seats and holds, I choose the latter. :)

BUT... Tell Henry to keep his boots out of the way of the pictures. :p

:lol: Thats not true, I just carry a glue rag with me at all times and I'm anal about being clean.

That said, there is no excuse for not getting these angles right:

PurpHaze
04-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Except that all that extra primer has softened the pipe, and a lot of those angles are pretty poor. I wouldn't want to be the one to make the next repair.

Can't think of any repairs I've made where "softened pipe" has been the culprit. One can try to be neat but sometimes it's just impossible. Now... if we were all octopi then I'd expect perfection each time. There sometimes just aren't enough hands to go around. :)

PurpHaze
04-07-2007, 12:04 PM
:lol: Thats not true, I just carry a glue rag with me at all times and I'm anal about being clean.

Perhaps the reason for your career change??? :)

That said, there is no excuse for not getting these angles right.

Camera angles can be deceiving Jon.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Sadly:cry: it is going to be dug up and replaced. (I think) Kludges are not always physical sometimes they are mental. When Henry called me as to what he had dug up he told me the inlet and outlets were 1.5 inches and bushed down. The one available was all 1 inch. The pressure loss difference between the two is huge. The system isn't spraying worth a cr-p. The elderly lady was real nice and gave him a check for the work. After some reflection I called her and told her I wasn't depositing the check and that we were going to get together after Easter and talk this over and make some good long term decisions. I am not a person pron to empathy. (My ex will tell you that.) Empathy leads to bad decisions. Tough love leads to good decisions. Unfortunately I allowed empathy to enter into my decision making for this customer. If I had it to do over the very first time she called me I would have cut out her DCA capped the mainline and told her to go get a new system. By the time we get finished with this piece of junk she will basically have bought a new system.

Dirty Water
04-07-2007, 12:12 PM

I studied all the pictures before deciding that those two lines were at bad angles.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 12:14 PM
How many gpm is the system? Fimco's website (http://www.fimcomfg.com/valve.html)

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:25 PM
How many gpm is the system? Fimco's website (http://www.fimcomfg.com/valve.html)

NO NO NO I'm not going there. I'm going to be petulant about this. This system was put in when the house was new and the water pressure was much higher than it is today. It has 46 total original brass heads and a smattering of plastic brands. The pressure wasn't great before I got them as customers. It was designed to take advantage of early high pressure in order to be put in as cheaply as possible. I thought about yanking all the heads and installing RB rotary sprays to cut down on the volume needs and still get good coverage. I just think she needs a new system not patches on this one.

PurpHaze
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I studied all the pictures before deciding that those two lines were at bad angles.

Are these at bad angles? :)

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Okay I got over my hissy fit and went. Only 2-4 gpm drop. HMMMMM. We replaced the master valve already. Maybe I need to take that DCA apart and make sure none of the checks have broken up and gotten trapped cockeyed.

Dirty Water
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Are these at bad angles? :)

There seems be no undue stress on those angles. I've seen people try to flex 3/4" instead of using the 45's like you did.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 12:40 PM
If you have a Febco 805 DCVA, there is a real possibility of a jammed poppet.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
1 ) There may be insufficient water supply to seal the valve. 10 gpm (gallons per minute) are required for indexing, and 10 psi (pressure per square inch) at the valve, is required to seal valve while each zone is running. A low flow stem & disc is available which only needs 6 gpm to operate system. All valves are sent from factory with a standard flow stem & disc assembly. You may purchase a low flow stem & disc assembly from companies on the distributor page. You can also exchange your stem/disc assembly with the factory for a low flow disc assembly. To exchange standard stem & disc for low flow send back standard stem & disc, plus $5.00 for shipping to:

This may be my problem. It has a 1 inch meter but something is restricting the flow because we are getting leakage from the other heads. The pressure is around 55

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:44 PM
If you have a Febco 805 DCVA, there is a real possibility of a jammed poppet.

Febco is all that was used here for quit some time and it is the original DC so well worth investigating.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Perhaps the reason for your career change??? :)

We eyeball everything. If there is at least a foot of pipe I don't get to worried about perfect angles. Especially in 1 inch class 200 and smaller. Speed is always balanced in with form.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I guess I should narrow it down to the 805Y DCVA - (and wouldn't it be hilarious if it was a jammed check poppet responsible for all the system troubles here)

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I guess I should narrow it down to the 805Y DCVA - (and wouldn't it be hilarious if it was a jammed check poppet responsible for all the system troubles here)

A hilarious relief:laugh: :o :hammerhead:

Mike Leary
04-07-2007, 07:59 PM
A hilarious relief:

That's what makes troubleshooting so interesting/befuddling.
So many possibilities, so little time.

SprinklerGuy
04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I too have yet to repair a leak due to softened pipe from primer....22 years of this and yet to see it.

I have ended up with that angle before...and worse.

There is a fine balance between anal retentive, making money, and getting return business because you finished in 4 hours and it's ugly or 6 hours and it's a work of art.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I too have yet to repair a leak due to softened pipe from primer....22 years of this and yet to see it.

There is a fine balance between anal retentive, making money, and getting return business because you finished in 4 hours and it's ugly or 6 hours and it's a work of art.

I have repaired pipes due to excess glue around the joints or inside the pipe.
I teach to take your finger or a rag and wipe the excess glue. I lose about 4 pair of jeans a year because I wipe my finger on the pants to get rid of excess glue. i never worry about primer except when it is NOT used.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
That's what makes troubleshooting so interesting/befuddling.
So many possibilities, so little time.

In my case I philosophize too much. I hope to find that it was the DC and if so I'm going to look so smart. Only you guys will understand my internal struggle.

Mike Leary
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Sprinkler guys don't give a rat about "internal struggles"; that's for you to
deal with your "self".

londonrain
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM

I fix one or two leaks a year from glue softening the pipe and bubbling out but never primer...

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Sprinkler guys don't give a rat about "internal struggles"; that's for you to
deal with your "self".

Now that is tough love MAN Lawn genie beer coming up.

Remote Pigtails
04-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I fix one or two leaks a year from glue softening the pipe and bubbling out but never primer...

London you are not too far from FL. Do you understand or can explain the appeal of indexing valves.

londonrain
04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
London you are not too far from FL. Do you understand or can explain the appeal of indexing valves.The only indexing valves I have seen are from K-rain, One contractor who moved to my area from Florida installed a few indexing valves. I have had the pleasure of repairing one and replacing the other after it cracked from freezing under a house. The only thing I can figure is that Florida does not have the cold weather thus it can be installed above ground, cheap, easily repaired and a easy install...

Keith
04-08-2007, 01:36 AM
The only place I usually ever run across them is on older systems with lake pumps. And yeah, they are almost always above ground. I am not a big fan of them, but they do seem to be pretty durable.

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
When we've discussed indexing valves before the concept always intrigued me because I've never seen one in our area. As Boots is so fond of mentioning I could see their unique niche with "dirty water" applications such as the lake scenarios you describe. You'd have fewer moving parts vs. typical diaphragm valves for each zone.

Wet_Boots
04-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Indexing valves also save on a timer and pump relay, since you can use a one-zone controller to directly operate the pump, even on 220.

Remote Pigtails
04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
It is becoming clear to me why they are used. But what would you call a contractor who installs one below ground upside down in Dallas on city water? Clever or crooked. As irrigators we do some pretty clever stuff. Installed this way made for easy piping. I guess if he properly presented it to the homeowner as an inexpensive way to get a system that will last 30 years and then you'll need a new one I would put him in the clever category. It is also possible that this one would still work and that my problem was a constriction in the DC. We'll see this week.

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 12:50 PM
But what would you call a contractor who installs one below ground upside down in Dallas on city water? Clever or crooked.

Hard telling what was going through his mind 30 years ago. I come across a lot of things done by others in the past and have to ask, "What the heck?" However, I also realize that future irrigators will come across some of my installations/repairs and ask the same thing. We'll never know exactly what a former irrigator ran into and what was going through his mind. :)

Remote Pigtails
04-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Holy crap!

This DIY'er must have lost that page in the Stryker tutuorials..." cut pipe in multiple lengths, throw pipe on ground into pile, put on blindfold, put cement into squirt gun, take hit of mescaline and assemble".

Gotta love Ed's post.

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Not many people know what gives Lawn Genie beer it's kick, yup, mescaline!

sheshovel
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I'ma good gluer.

sheshovel
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Quite interesting is it not? If you look from farther away it does not look THAt bad.

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 03:47 PM
"A case of Lawn Genie beer for the installer!".

sheshovel
04-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Think I should have drank that bEFORE I installed it. Might have helped.

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Think I should have drank that bEFORE I installed it. Might have helped.

The mind boggles how many boots could have run up that wall.
Is the pipe the same magic pipe Jon uses that's u.v. resistant?

Dirty Water
04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
This is clean glueing:

Before Repair:
http://jholland.phpwebhosting.com/irrigation/stupidmanifold.jpeg

After:
http://jholland.phpwebhosting.com/irrigation/stupidmanifolddone.jpeg

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Where's your cute little red lines?

Dirty Water
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM

I don't need them on mine, I know the top 3 lines are at funky angle, but they were in a 10 ft open trench.

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Sprinkler truth: it's always the pipe on the bottom that breaks.

londonrain
04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
This is clean glueing:

If we all used clear primer and 705 glue then every joint would look clean...but I use P68 purple and 705...:clapping:

Mike Leary
04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think Jon uses glue.

Wet_Boots
04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Quite interesting is it not? If you look from farther away it does not look THAt bad.Is that a black iron coupling on a galvanized nipple? I'd think you'd want to lose that, if possible, and snug up the pressure piping to the house. Is that a Kenyon mini-mattock?

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 10:45 PM

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't need them on mine, I know the top 3 lines are at funky angle, but they were in a 10 ft open trench.

Ummmmm.... Now the excuses start???? :laugh:

SprinklerGuy
04-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Good god...

I think I would hang myself if I had to install AntiSiphon valves like that...

I would def hang myself if I used galvi.....

Sigh.....

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:32 AM
"Girls just wanna have fun..." :laugh:

Remote Pigtails
04-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Is that a black iron coupling on a galvanized nipple? I'd think you'd want to lose that, if possible, and snug up the pressure piping to the house. Is that a Kenyon mini-mattock?

Too late now.

Remote Pigtails
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've spent too much time trying to figure out what this means. Can you help?

Wet_Boots
04-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I've spent too much time trying to figure out what this means. Can you help?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang
Good god...

I think I would hang myself if I had to install AntiSiphon valves like that...

I would def hang myself if I used galvi.....

Sigh.....On an itty bitty system, the saving of a PVB's cost could be a fair percentage of the total material used. Since it looks like a galvanized nipple is aleady stucco'd into place, one could conceive of an all-galvanized (pressure side) manifold, without it greatly increasing the outrage quotient of the plumbing.

SprinklerGuy
04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm sure there is a reason...
But I would still hang myself....

I'm not that much of a prima dona'...but 95% of the time I'm able to talk my clients into doing it with a PVB and a valve box.....yes it costs more, but it is much more reliable in both my markets, and not nearly as hideous.

amen

Wet_Boots
04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't tout ASVs, but sometimes they might actually make a sale, if a hundred-odd is the difference between sale and no-sale. Some customers can actually appreciate being informed of the ASV's existence, and how it can save them money, while allowing on-the-valve manual operation. They really aren't a maintenance headache.

SprinklerGuy
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
How many times do I have to say I agree w/ you....

I agree I agree I agree....

But....I still hate them.
And I always inform the client of the problems associated with them....

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
How many times do I have to say I agree w/ you....

I agree I agree I agree....

But....I still hate them.
And I always inform the client of the problems associated with them....

Yass yass...They STILL look like hell!

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Is that a black iron coupling on a galvanized nipple? I'd think you'd want to lose that, if possible, and snug up the pressure piping to the house. Is that a Kenyon mini-mattock?

Yes, ok I will, yes mini mattock why? There will be a box built around those valves, they are used all the time out here. Had to be installed at least 12" above the highest sprinkler head and that is high. Not only that but I had to re-build it anyways cuz they wanted a hose bin there as well, after I was done of course.

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm sure there is a reason...
But I would still hang myself....

I'm not that much of a prima dona'...but 95% of the time I'm able to talk my clients into doing it with a PVB and a valve box.....yes it costs more, but it is much more reliable in both my markets, and not nearly as hideous.

amen

Please do SprinklerGuy! Then you come and talk um into it! This will be hidden!

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Please do SprinklerGuy! Then you come and talk um into it! This will be hidden!

Hidden by whut?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang
On an itty bitty system, the saving of a PVB's cost could be a fair percentage of the total material used. Since it looks like a galvanized nipple is aleady stucco'd into place, one could conceive of an all-galvanized (pressure side) manifold, without it greatly increasing the outrage quotient of the plumbing.

If I knew what the hell you were talking about I would think you might be defending my use of ASV's instead of PVB's? Oh your saying I should have built my manifold out of galvy? OK I messed up on the iron to galve. I'll just re-build the whole thing make you boys happy ok?
I can afford it. If it's so horrible you guys would commit suicide over it I will do it over. Gosh you all are so dramatic! It's only a drip and 10 sprinkler heads for godssakes.

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Hidden by whut?

Do I know you?
Why are you questioning me? A tall cement siding box with a lid, stuccoed on the outside to match the house by a tiny micro stucco gun they make just for Sheshovels custom made valve boxes. That's what.

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Would you polish the brass please?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
A newbie senior member is speaking to a Platinum member in this manner?
Puleeze newb do not distract me.

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Do I know you?
Why are you questioning me? A tall cement siding box with a lid, stuccoed on the outside to match the house by a tiny micro stucco gun they make just for Sheshovels custom made valve boxes. That's what.

Jeez, if you'd told us out front..I retract my brass comment.

Wet_Boots
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
If I knew what the hell you were talking about I would think you might be defending my use of ASV's instead of PVB's? Oh your saying I should have built my manifold out of galvy? OK I messed up on the iron to galve. I'll just re-build the whole thing make you boys happy ok?
I can afford it. If it's so horrible you guys would commit suicide over it I will do it over. Gosh you all are so dramatic! It's only a drip and 10 sprinkler heads for godssakes.If you built it of Champion brass ASV's, it would be durable enough to leave unboxed. :p
I could see there being more ASVs being installed. I'm going to offer them on valve/backflow upgrading where there's shrubbery to hide them.

Dirty Water
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Ah, Now I know why the site was so nice for the last few months...SheShovel was only posting at the coffeeshop.

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 06:27 PM
If you built it of Champion brass ASV's, it would be durable enough to leave unboxed. :p
I could see there being more ASVs being installed. I'm going to offer them on valve/backflow upgrading where there's shrubbery to hide them.

Boots, I have NEVER seen a brass valve on an irrigation system in my 14 years working up here. They just do not install them on residential systems period! I swear thats the truth! Never build manifolds of Galvie either, never seen one not once!

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Ah, Now I know why the site was so nice for the last few months...SheShovel was only posting at the coffeeshop.
I am sure there are many here glad to read me back dear. However if you are not, please feel free to put She on ignore and be done with it.

Mike Leary
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Did I just step on a hornet's nest here?

Wet_Boots
04-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Boots, I have NEVER seen a brass valve on an irrigation system in my 14 years working up here. They just do not install them on residential systems period! I swear thats the truth! Never build manifolds of Galvie either, never seen one not once!Champion is still in LA. Also, a company named Lawnlife appropriated the Champion designs, and have them manufactured overseas. They're the valves all the automatic convertors are made for. Brass convertors too. But they cost real money, even before the latest price spikes. And PVC is durable enough, if not as bulletproof as brass and steel.http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:I4na__zfIzQlnM:http://www.basicirrigation.com/images/938120.jpg

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Did I just step on a hornet's nest here?

You've been bunged by the Sheshovel. In case you haven't already guessed... DON'T piss her off. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Remote Pigtails
04-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I didn't know she existed. What brought her out?

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Had to be installed at least 12" above the highest sprinkler head and that is high.

For those that aren't acquainted with Sheshovel's main geographical area of business it's a fairly upscale yuppie conclave just south of Yosemite NP. It is also a hilly and/or mountainous area as very few lots/acreage are level.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Gosh you all are so dramatic! It's only a drip and 10 sprinkler heads for godssakes.

Rip all the drip out and start all over. :p

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM

Bet she hit the road for Montana on her bike. :)

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Champion is still in LA. Also, a company named Lawnlife appropriated the Champion designs, and have them manufactured overseas. They're the valves all the automatic convertors are made for. Brass convertors too. But they cost real money, even before the latest price spikes. And PVC is durable enough, if not as bulletproof as brass and steel.http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:I4na__zfIzQlnM:http://www.basicirrigation.com/images/938120.jpg

We have them all over the place... but then again, we're semi-commercial.

The WestAg knock-off ASV and RA guts fit the Champions as well and are not as spendy.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I didn't know she existed. What brought her out?

The warm weather we've been having??? :)

I know the earwigs have REALLY come out now.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Sheshovel... Was this a retrofit of new valves onto existing lines with a new POC?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 11:07 PM
This homeowner and hid buddy installed the lines and sprinkler heads themselves. The brought up the 1" lines where you see them coming up in the 1st pic, too close together. So I 90ed over to get it to line up somewhat. Water source coming out of the wall 1/2" galv. They asked me to install two valves one for the drip irrigation around the house and one for their sprinklers and a basic cheap controller, so that's what I did. Turns out they had the hose bib stubbed up and had it on the same line as the sprinklers. So it only worked when the sprinklers were on.
I was asked to put a hose bib right where I put the valves so I had to cut it off and start all over. After re-building the whole thing I measured for my last cuts to glue on the last valve, and guess what I did?

I GLUED THE VALVE ON BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!

So now I gotta do it all again anyway because of that iron on galvie mistake plus
You all are absolutely correct it is hideous regardless.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 11:10 PM
It's all Mike Leary's fault. The newbie shook you up. :laugh:

[JK Mike]

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I GLUED THE VALVE ON BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!

Considering that these guys were installing their system bass-ackwards I can see why you installed one of the valves backwards. :)

Remote Pigtails
04-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Do we get a pic of the backward valves?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Hahahhaaa oh I guess that can be arranged so you can copy and save it so you can throw it up in my face whenever you feel the urge. (valve not valves)
Be prepared it is not a pretty sight. I got so mad at myself I threw my hat in the dirt and stomped all over it, swore a blue streak and jumped up and down for about 10 min. Thank god they don't have the lawn in yet. Cuz I went home after that.

Remote Pigtails
04-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Hahahhaaa oh I guess that can be arranged so you can copy and save it so you can throw it up in my face whenever you feel the urge. (valve not valves)
Be prepared it is not a pretty sight. I got so mad at myself I threw my hat in the dirt and stomped all over it, swore a blue streak and jumped up and down for about 10 min. Thank god they don't have the lawn in yet. Cuz I went home after that.

No I wouldn't do that. (Some might) Like to see a pic of your Harley though.

PurpHaze
04-09-2007, 11:28 PM

LOL... You sound like the gal on Survivor: Fiji that got voted off last week. Hey... wait a minute! Maybe that's where you've been???? :)

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 12:15 AM
No I wouldn't do that. (Some might) Like to see a pic of your Harley though.
Sure no problem.

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
LOL... You sound like the gal on Survivor: Fiji that got voted off last week. Hey... wait a minute! Maybe that's where you've been???? :)

Yea, well she should have been voted off if she glued a valve on backwards. Should have been burned at the stake too.

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 12:18 AM
It's all Mike Leary's fault. The newbie shook you up. :laugh:

[JK Mike]

HA!! Never happen Purp.

Remote Pigtails
04-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Sure no problem.

On the bike:

Very nice. That is one lucky bike.

Mike Leary
04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Is that benzedrine you take for bee stings?

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry Mike, just caught me at a time I was frustrated at myself for being such a dumb azz. There is a social order here, just like everywhere else. I am She and cannot be seen taking crap from newbies, would sully my rep you know. I do apologize for being so rough with you our first time. Hope I did not leave any bruises that show.

Mike Leary
04-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'll never tell, good to meet you, I'm a newbie on line, but an old f..t in the
biz. We'll drink a Lawn Genie online!

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
On the bike:

Very nice. That is one lucky bike.
Gee, how nice of you to say that.

SprinklerGuy
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Social order?

Not at the irrigation threads there isn't.....maybe in the "off topic" areas or the other areas with infighting...

Believe it or not SS, there are only fights when you come here....well, you and any other non-irrigation type that doesn't know what they're doing.

Mike Leary
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Let us move on and get Hank Reardon's problem solved

Greenguy1
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Wow I didn't think you guy's would ever let that one go!!!!!!!

Mike Leary
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow I didn't think you guy's would ever let that one go!!!!!!!

Oh, I don't think it'll ever end!

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Social order?

Not at the irrigation threads there isn't.....maybe in the "off topic" areas or the other areas with infighting...

Believe it or not SS, there are only fights when you come here....well, you and any other non-irrigation type that doesn't know what they're doing.

Fights? What fight? I did not see any fight. You have a problem with me SprinklerGuy? I'll tell you one thing, I know more about drip irrigation than all of you in here combined you wanna challenge that fact sir?
Now you got a fight.

bicmudpuppy
04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Fights? What fight? I did not see any fight. You have a problem with me SprinklerGuy? I'll tell you one thing, I know more about drip irrigation than all of you in here combined you wanna challenge that fact sir?
Now you got a fight.

She, I respect your ability to function in your "niche", but don't go there. Not even close. You want to talk real drip, lets talk air relief, distribution vs. feed, and lets design and install zones that exceed 10gpm. Lets do 30-50gpm drip and do it effectively. BTW, shrubblers aren't going to work in a low volume high capacity commercial setting.

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Screw that highest I go is 25. He did not have to be so rude to me. Especially since I was only kidding around when I said that

PurpHaze
04-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Just gotta remember that it's April in Colorado. :dizzy:

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey if I am not welcome here I will leave, no problem.

BSME
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM

motion to vote...

PurpHaze
04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
You'd prolly only want MI irrigators in the forum since they'd be the only ones with similar experiences to yours. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
04-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Maybe Sheshovel will be happy to learn that one of the touted features of the Irritrol valves she installed is the inability to reinstall the cover backwards when changing diaphragms. :p

sheshovel
04-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Thank god for small favors huh Boots?

bicmudpuppy
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM

I know you've been gone for a while, but did you get a "thin skinned" disease while away???

BSME
04-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I know you've been gone for a while, but did you get a "thin skinned" disease while away???

now i'm curious as to why she was gone

SprinklerGuy
04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I vote she leaves....

If you use shrubblers you don't know d ick about drip.....

Running a bunch of black 1/2 poly drip line and punching holes into it with a cute little tool and running "spaghetti" to each plant..doesn't count.

Install a 5,000 plus plant zone on a commercial site using PVC and air relief and then we can talk.

I also respect your "niche"...but your niche is not irrigation...you are probably great at what you do.....and probably a good person...and maybe even pleasant in person.....but when you come on here and post that POS system of yours....and then defend it......enough said.

I will not put you on ignore because I truly enjoy watching the crud spew out of your keyboard...and yes, I enjoy arguing with you....

So, agree to disagree, and as soon as you agree that I'm right and you're wrong....we can move on.

Wet_Boots
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
All drip stinks. Install sprays! You can see them work. That reminds me, how many installs are really being done with the full range of those color-coded emitters like Rainbird sells, with different emitters chosen for various plants? Seems like a lot of care and planning goes into that, as opposed to unrolling Netafim tubing.

Don't pick on Sheshovel, at least she's not a fallen woman.Help me up already!!
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3967/sheshovelavatarfallen1gm.gif

sheshovel
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't recall defending it very well.
Ok, Sprinklerguy you are right and I am wrong.

Mike Leary
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't recall defending it very well.
Ok, Sprinklerguy you are right and I am wrong.

Don't let the primas get to you & recycle the empty bottles of Lawn Genie,
you don't have to eat them!:waving:

sheshovel
04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Okok I have to know...what is Lawn Genie??

sheshovel
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Install a 5,000 plus plant zone on a commercial site using PVC and air relief and then we can talk. Quote Sprinklerguy

You know darned well I don't have those kinds of jobs up here.

Mike Leary
04-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Okok I have to know...what is Lawn Genie??

There will always be mysteries, my dear.

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I vote she leaves....

You're out of order. The motion was never seconded and died in committee. :)

Dirty Water
04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Oh, I second then.

A side note, I'm down in Cali until tommorow (took a quick vacation for my bday and took the wife down to D-land...its sure has changed since I went as a kid).

Cali Irrigation sucks! Everywhere I look, exposed PVC, ASV valves...not a lick of drip anywhere...and overspray galore!

Its no surprise they are running out of water :D

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Oh, I second then.

Already been tabled. I'll send you a copy of "Robert's Rules of Order" if you need it. Besides... I think Sean might have something to say about it.

A side note, I'm down in Cali until tommorow (took a quick vacation for my bday and took the wife down to D-land...its sure has changed since I went as a kid).

I already asked in another thread. Did you go on "Soaring Over California" in California Adventures or just stick to the teacups and Dumbo rides in Disneyland?

Cali Irrigation sucks! Everywhere I look, exposed PVC, ASV valves...not a lick of drip anywhere...and overspray galore!

I'm sure there's plenty of sucky irrigation in WA too.

BTW... I got an explanation from a real geological engineer on why California hillsides have exposed PVC and sprinklers but I'm not sharing since the info is from California. You need an additional secret decoder for access. :laugh:

gusbuster
04-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Oh, I second then.

Except for the CA theme park, older Disney stuff is from back in the 50's from when the park was originally built.

On the CA theme park, at least when it first opened, all the containers are drip. Maybe you missed that.

Besides, as much as they change out plants everyday, could you imagine a poly pipe having to be repaired at 4 am? Most of the work that needs to be done with the landscape is done after the park closes and before it opens the next day. So, would you fool around having to adjust heads all the time?

Besides if you want to see drip in action, need to go to places such as San Diego and in that area. That's where you are going to see better techniques used due to more modern building.

And heck, if the judges approve, I will watch when the shut down the pumps at Tracy. That happens, So Ca. will potentially lose 60% of their water capacity

Ed G
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
here's another dumb "in exchange" joke so I have something in the bank next time I need advice from you pro's....

couple in their 80's get married. On their honeymoon night the bride slowly removes her blouse and tells her new husband:

"Honey, I have to tell you, I have acute angina".

Husband replies: "that's a damn good thing, cause you sure do have ugly boobs".

sheshovel
04-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh, I second then.

Seeing as how The Great Central Valley where Purp resides produces 80% of all U.S. agriculture, I think you want to retract your statement about Cali and irrigation. California is the leading state in irrigation innovation, it has to be it depends on it to produce this country's fruits and vegetables and nuts and grapes and wine.

SprinklerGuy
04-13-2007, 05:42 PM
You better check your figures......the Great Central Valley does not produce 80% of all US ag.....

Where did you read that?

Have you ever read the US agriculture census?

I have.....

Wet_Boots
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Silly She ~ All those vineyards with the finest of grapes tout their dry farming - no irrigation.

(If you press them on the point "Drip - or die?" they'll break down and admit they won't push the philosophy to the extreme)

Mike Leary
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I've lived in Cali & know they sure produce fruits & nuts!

jerryrwm
04-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Seeing as how The Great Central Valley where Purp resides produces 80% of all U.S. agriculture, I think you want to retract your statement about Cali and irrigation. California is the leading state in irrigation innovation, it has to be it depends on it to produce this country's fruits and vegetables and nuts and grapes and wine.
80%??? of what? Corn - nope. Wheat - nope. Cereal Grains - Nope. Citrus - not 80%. What color is the sky out your way She? And as far as Ag irrigation I think areas of the Midwest and the High Plains have more acres under irrigation.

And actually Hawaii has more drip irrigation than any other state - for their pineapple and other crops. While they get a lot annual rainfall it usually doesn't come when the crops need it the most.

BSME
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
there has got to be some way I can kill this thread

YardPro
04-13-2007, 08:23 PM

uh, she, i like you , BUT that statement is nonsense.

to even think that one state can produce 80% of the country's agriculture is preposterous...

orange crops in florida, wheat, soy, and corn in kansas, cotton, tobacco, and strawberries in north carolina, peaches and cotton in georgia.....

that all goes back to why other states joke about Kalifornia so much... you guys think YOU ARE the center of the universe.....

Hank Reardon
04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
uh, she, i like you , BUT that statement is nonsense.

to even think that one state can produce 80% of the country's agriculture is preposterous...

orange crops in florida, wheat, soy, and corn in kansas, cotton, tobacco, and strawberries in north carolina, peaches and cotton in georgia.....

that all goes back to why other states joke about Kalifornia so much... you guys think YOU ARE the center of the universe.....

I thought I was the center of the universe!

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Uh... not nice to generalize about other states. Californians might start thinking that all Carolinians are hicks. :)

Dirty Water
04-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Beh at all the other states.

*Goes back to sipping a starbucks while reading a liberal newspaper*

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Found your luggage I assume? :)

Dirty Water
04-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Found your luggage I assume? :)

Yeah, the trip back was a hassle.

We called SuperShuttle and they sent a driver to pick us up. On the way to LAX he took a wrong turn and we ended up lost in Compton with him looking at a map and swearing.

It might have been the most frightening time of my life...But I made it :D

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Yeah, the trip back was a hassle.

We called SuperShuttle and they sent a driver to pick us up. On the way to LAX he took a wrong turn and we ended up lost in Compton with him looking at a map and swearing.

It might have been the most frightening time of my life...But I made it :D

Compton's mild compared to the time when I (with two friends) was a senior in HS coming back from the USC/Notre Dame game at the Coliseum and got lost in Watts just a couple of years after the riots.

SprinklerGuy
04-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Glad I said it first...

I was gonna hold my tongue....it always amazes me when folks pull stats out of their a s s to try and make a point.

This isn't the first time...

80% and the time she said she was the drip queen or knew more about drip than anyone on here...blah blah blah...go back to the misc threads where the guys are trying to get pics of you. Seriously.....wait til spring when I get really cranky.

sheshovel
04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I read it somewhere I am sure! LOL! You guys are just too easy, push a button and have some fun I always say!

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I think Snopes had something on it as well. :)

gusbuster
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
This is a fair statement, the San Joaquin Valley is the most diversified valley in the United States. Just about any kind of food is grown in this valley. It is also a fair statement to say for the square miles involved, it is the most productive.

Remote Pigtails
04-14-2007, 03:32 PM
This is a fair statement, the San Joaquin Valley is the most diversified valley in the United States. Just about any kind of food is grown in this valley. It is also a fair statement to say for the square miles involved, it is the most productive.

The Texas Valley is a poor man's version of this even though I think our oranges are the best tasting.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
We don't export our best oranges as we keep them for ourselves. :laugh:

gusbuster
04-14-2007, 04:32 PM
We don't export our best oranges as we keep them for ourselves. :laugh:

Nah, this year were going to give them out for free, our new version of the orange Popsicle, the "orangesicle".

Ed G
04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
best oranges - valencia. grown in lake county, Florida

best hybrid - "Honey Bells" aka Minneola tangelo. also grown in lake county , florida

Remote Pigtails
04-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not detecting a regional bias on these oranges.

PurpHaze
04-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Ed knows how to stir the pot. :)

Ed G
04-16-2007, 09:38 AM
best italian hoagies:

Danny's Parkview Pizza

Route 88

Bethel Park, Pa 15102

Best Bar B Q:

Montgomery Inn, Cincinatti, OH

PurpHaze
04-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Dang it Ed... visiting the Travel Channel's "Best of" web pages again??? :laugh:

Wet_Boots
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Ohio BBQ?!! Go to your room. :nono:

Ed G
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
damn right. Ohio barbeque...

Montgomery inn sells more ribs than any other restaurant in America.

Our world-famous ribs, our friendly service, and our striking view of the Ohio River, makes us a unique restaurant that you and your guest(s) will remember long after your meal is over. In fact, you'll find the only solace you can take in leaving the Montgomery Inn at The Boathouse is knowing that you'll be back soon.

list of satisfied patrons included Presidents Ford, Reagan, Bush and Clinton; Elizabeth Taylor, Tom Selleck, Elton John, Pete Rose, Sparky Anderson, Johnny Bench, Andre Agassi, Arnold Palmer, Mark McGwire, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Bill Cosby, Britney Spears and, of course, our most famous booster of all was, Bob Hope.

For dessert, indulge in another Cincinnati culinary tradition: Graeter's ice cream.

and Chicago pizza IS way superior to NY

Wet_Boots
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
From a review of that selfsame 'BBQ place' ~ "This bbq isn't smoked - it's boiled then finished on a grill - so some will argue it shouldn't be called BBQ at all" ~ Go to your room :nono:

SprinklerGuy
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I would argue that my local chinese restaurant sells the MOST kung pao chicken in all the world....

That's right, the world.....

Mike Leary
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I would argue that my local chinese restaurant sells the MOST kung pao chicken in all the world....

That's right, the world.....

Stop it already! It's not dinner time on the west coast & you're making me
hungry!

Wet_Boots
04-16-2007, 07:02 PM
So, head to Pike's market and buy something to cook up!

Forget Kung Pao ~ is Big Daddy Bruce's joint still serving up ribs? (in Denver, I think it was)

Remote Pigtails
04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
From a review of that selfsame 'BBQ place' ~ "This bbq isn't smoked - it's boiled then finished on a grill - so some will argue it shouldn't be called BBQ at all" ~ Go to your room :nono:

BBQ is a major hobby of mine. It is also very regional. The Original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood in Dallas is a legend. Open til the food is gone and then shuts down. Well worth the trip when in Big D. I've had a lot of BBQ but none better than in TX. I'll give in on the Oranges But I'll die before I give in on BBQ.

Wet_Boots
04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I crossed the country with an original edition of Road Food, and didn't suffer too much in Texas, although the edition was out of date, and a few places closed or sold. Luling had some memorable BBQ.

SprinklerGuy
04-17-2007, 09:21 AM
I prefer East Carolina Q...and slaw.....but that is just me.....I like the watery vinegary spicey sauces to dip the slow cooked PIG in.....

jerryrwm
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Ol' boy down in Texas told me a long time ago, "Boy, if you gotta cook your BBQ with sauce on it, you're coverin' up somethin'."

Wet_Boots
04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Strictly from the home front, those sauce covered 'wet ribs' are a lot easier to try to imitate in your oven at home. A Memphis place named Gridley's had a good version. (not that it would satisfy the strict definitions of true BBQ)

bicmudpuppy
04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I'll vote for no sauce in the cooker! I like my sauce spicy, the crew here likes the Q sauce sweet. I got to get past the early spring rush, then there is some serious smoking to do. Back porch has Hickory, Choke Cherry, and Mulbery wood stacked on it. All nice and fresh green cut. It won't dry out much before I get to burn it :) Did a real nice pork loin with the mulberry right after I brought it home.

Oh, I said no sauce, I did NOT mean no Mop. I use a water pan more often than not, and basting is allowed. One lawn genie for me, one for the pig. One, two lawn genie for me, two for the pig :drinkup: :rolleyes: :drinkup:

Mike Leary
04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I'll vote for no sauce in the cooker! I like my sauce spicy, the crew here likes the Q sauce sweet. I got to get past the early spring rush, then there is some serious smoking to do. Back porch has Hickory, Choke Cherry, and Mulbery wood stacked on it. All nice and fresh green cut. It won't dry out much before I get to burn it :) Did a real nice pork loin with the mulberry right after I brought it home.

Oh, I said no sauce, I did NOT mean no Mop. I use a water pan more often than not, and basting is allowed. One lawn genie for me, one for the pig. One, two lawn genie for me, two for the pig :drinkup: :rolleyes: :drinkup:

There are two of the most righteous paragraphs I've ever read!
Do you even pay your crew? Lawn Genies for the chef!!!!!!

Remote Pigtails
04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I hear the pork is unbelievable in the Memphis and NC area. When I talk BBQ I'm always thinking about a slow cooked beef brisket. I need some 9 volt batteries from costco so i may just wander over to the meat section and get me a brisket to cook Sunday.

bicmudpuppy
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Hmm, almost double posted. Scratch this one :)

bicmudpuppy
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I hear the pork is unbelievable in the Memphis and NC area. When I talk BBQ I'm always thinking about a slow cooked beef brisket. I need some 9 volt batteries from costco so i may just wander over to the meat section and get me a brisket to cook Sunday.

Q isn't about the meat but the preparation. I have a recipe from a smoke book that I like to work from for brisket. I have cooked brisket for our old scout troop the last two sept. campouts for Court of Honor ceremonies. I figure if you can make 40+ people happy with no complaints, you have done a fair job. Not 40+ who came to sample Q, but 40 who came for an event and happened to be eating what you fixed. for a brisket mop sauce, beer is best, but Apple cider vinegar with squirt makes a great sub if your in a non-alcohol setting (i.e. Boy Scouts)

I did a bone on beef Prime Rib last spring that was quite good :)
:drinkup: :drinkup:

sheshovel
04-18-2007, 01:09 AM
OFF TOPIC!! Were we not arguing with She?
Gosh ol' mighty, I was just starting to have fun.......ohhhhhhhhh ok well
guess it's ok just this once.
I can think of something else to get you riled about soon enough SprinklerGuy and if that does not work then wanna flirt instead??
Please?????

Remote Pigtails
04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
She has interrupted our BBQ discussion but here is the pigtail method for brisket learned from picking the brains of his customers. The choice of meat is important. I have a good butcher at my costco and usually rely on his opinion. If he is not around I pick the briskets up by the center and see how much they bend down. I try to pick one that is in between the stiffest and the one that bends down the most. After I trim the hard fat and other large pieces of fat I let the meat get to room temp. Then I use nothing more than a good dry rub. The BBQ spot out of Driftwood, TX sells a good rub but there are others. The key to me is maintaining a consistent 225 degrees in my smoker. I may lift the lid twice in the 10 to 12 hours I cook. Every time the lid gets lifted it ruins the temp. I also try to be careful with the wood. after 3-4 hours I cover the brisket with foil to minimize the wood smoke. Ideally the wood is burned down first but that is not always practical. Finally the cutting is important. Before smoking I determine the grain and make sure I know where to slice in order to be at right angle to the grain. In between all this I'm sitting in my adirondack sucking down cold lawn genies. I have never BBQ a pork. Don't know why -just haven't.

Wet_Boots
04-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Don't know why? Texas. Plenty of other states to Q a pig.

bicmudpuppy
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
She has interupted because she is a modern woman and cooking is totaly foriegn to her!

Now, as to brisket, I'll leave ALL the fat on for cooking. I'll ask my meat guy for the brisket "un-trimmed". Fresh, never frozen and all the uncooked grease still in place. I like to rub the night before, but this isn't as much a necessity as more practical for me. I work VERY hard at keeping the smoker below 215. I put my water pan slightly above the fire (cast iron dutch oven) and baste from the water pan. I "suffer" the temp loss to baste once every hour after the first 2-3 hours. I will baste more often at the "finish" if I think it needs to be.

I've not done a whole hog (my cooker isn't big enough, but I know where to borrow one :) ), but it is on my agenda. My son should finish his Eagle sometime in the next year. NOW, that will be a reason to cook some serious Q!!

Remote Pigtails
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounds really good. Now we have to work on the side dishes and dessert. Baked beans for me with whole jalapeno peppers. Berry cobbler-blackberry or raspberry love them both. And of course the national beer of Texas Shiner.

bicmudpuppy
04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Baked Beans works, Another dutch oven in the smoker for the beans is a great method :) You left out the required corn bread. I like Jalapeno Cornbread, but an extra pan of quality cornbread that isn't spicy for the faint of heart. To off set the heart doctors complaints, a good healthy vegetable should be included. I prefer a good tossed salad. Peach cobbler or apple pie for desert. Sweet tea with the meal. More Lawn Genies after desert. Another great desert option are fruit kabobs put in the smoker after the meat is removed and served. Fetch the roasted fruit treats for desert.

sheshovel
04-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Yes, She is 100% better at interrupting than BBQ ing.
BBQ is a man's job.

Wet_Boots
04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
(we'll let you wash the dishes)

sheshovel
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Oh!! Man I am soooo in lurve with you guys now, who would have known that such talented irrigation experts had the blood of true chefs running in their veins? I would do the dishes with glee had I the opportunity to taste just one morsel of the foods you describe above.

Remote Pigtails
04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
To The Top TTT

hoskm01
12-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Pete, Henry and I were talking about this thread. Can we re-consider the reaming we gave Henry all these years ago? He speculates, that with enough pats on the back, that he will join with this thread as his christening! To the top!

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Ahhh yes the hemorrhaging days of climate change through better medicine.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Sheshovel wants her avatar back :nono:

Mike Leary
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
with enough pats on the back, that he will join with this thread as his christening! To the top!

Henry deserves to come on the forum; he's smart, has the passion and will prolly weather the storm we give all newbies.

Kiril
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Henry deserves to come on the forum; he's smart, has the passion and will prolly weather the storm we give all newbies.

Screw you old man .... who said the storm was only for noobs? :laugh:

Mike Leary
12-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Screw you old man .... who said the storm was only for noobs? :laugh:

I said "storm", not full-force hurricane. :)

Wet_Boots
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
"Typhoon Kiril"

jlouki01
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I winterized a Hydro Indexing valve system this year. Worked just like anything else. No problems.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
what compressor cfm?

txirrigation
12-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Old but... In TX it is now code that primer MUST show to pass inspection. If it was that big of a deal it wouldn't be code.

cjohn2000
12-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Kind of flirting with trouble there with all the dirt and mud near the open pipes?