PDA

View Full Version : What brand of spark plug do you use?

Duncan90si
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
What brand do you guys use? Do you use different brands in your 4 strokes than your 2 strokes? Do you use different plugs for different makes of engines? (Ex. B&S, Kaw, Honda etc.)

I personally run NGK in just about everything I own. No particular reason why, other than they are relatively cheap, have never failed me, and local part stores have them in stock. The one brand I'm not fond of is Champion. I personally have had horrible luck with them. I lost a cylinder in a motor because one exploded and numerous other instances of them just going bad too often and too soon for no reason. Maybe some people have had good luck with them, unfortunatley thats not my case at all.

Jason Rose
04-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Personally Iv'e never had any bad luck with any brand. Hell, I rarely even change them in most things... If it's starting and running fine, why mess with the spark plug? I did put some high dollar plugs in my 25hp kohler last year, some that claim to never need replacement, don't even recall the brand... Also didn't see any improvement in how it runs either, lol. About the only plug "problem" i ever have is a fouled one, and that's hardly the plugs fault, it's the POS engine it's screwed into! lol.

ProStreetCamaro
04-07-2007, 12:13 AM
NGK is the best plug on the market in my oppinion. I run them in everything from my race car, my daily driver 99 SS camaro, our work truck, our expedition and all of our equipment. Autolight plugs are also good plugs but I stick with NGK.

dfischer
04-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Another corner heard from:

NGK whenever possible, Autolite as my backup. Champion only in dire straits as it WILL let me down, and probably when I need it most.

I also prefer platinum and fine wire electrodes. And I try to run non-resistor plugs in non-auto applications.

I've found piped 2 strokes to be the hardest on plugs w/hi-compression 4 strokes coming up next. That said, even a street car will go through a set of champions faster then an autolite or an NGK.

Restrorob
04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I install nothing but the factory recommended spark plug in EVERYTHING.
After all, They (OEM's) designed and tested their engines and determined which brand/heat range spark plug would give the best performance.

pugs
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
All Champion here. Never had a problem with them. Had some issues with some NGK's in Honda engines recently. I stock one NGK and that is for some 2cycle equipment. There is no cross from that NGK plug to a Champion.

lawnboy dan
04-07-2007, 02:13 PM
ngk-autolite and champion as a last resort here too.

DaughtryLC
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
NGK for sure!!

Bill Kapaun
04-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm from the use "what it came with" camp, but every thing but my Craftsman (B&S) tiller came with NGK.

Bigblue250
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Champion's in USA motors, NGK in everything else.

LCPullman
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
I run NGK in all my 2-stroke equipment because thats what they came with. I use Champions on my Kawasaki engines because that is what they came with.

Jason Pallas
04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I started running those e3 diamond fire plugs (sort of like the split fire) in some of my smaller 2 cycle stuff. They really seem to make a huge difference. I noticed better performance and better gas "mileage" too. They were expensive - $7 ea but they come with a lifetime guarntee andd seem to be worth it do far. TCS carries them ( along with a lot of other stores too).