PDA

View Full Version : Tongue Weight

Lynden-Jeff
04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey,

I just purchased a dual axle 6.5 by 16 trailer. I was pulling my single axle with a class 3 hitch. This hitch is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight. I have a feeling this trailer is putting more then that on the tongue. I am going to upgrade to either a weight distributing class 3 or a class 4 however am I In danger for the time being? I don't put my ZTR or really anything at the front while I'm doing cleanups, always over the axles and by the time I will be mowing it will be upgraded. What would the breaking weight be of a normal class 3?

Cheers
Jeff

Rizzo
04-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I have pulled a 10k trailer and large skid steer on a class 3 before and I know the tongue weight was close to 800-1000 because the rental company had the loader to far forward on the trailer. I also used to pull a 27' camper that had around 700# tw but used the weight dist spring bars. You will probably not be maxing out the trailer capacity will you? If it is 5k or under then just make sure you are evenly loaded and your hitch will be fine. My last trailer was a 7x16 enclosed tandem and I never had to change the hitch because there was no way I was pulling over the rated amounts. Judge by how much the back of your truck squats when empty compared to loaded.

mowingtowing
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
just FYI, tag-a-long trailers are supposed to have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch eg. 5k trailer, between 500 and 750 lbs tounge weight

Rizzo
04-09-2007, 07:14 PM
just FYI, tag-a-long trailers are supposed to have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch eg. 5k trailer, between 500 and 750 lbs tounge weight

Very true... And if you get much more than that weight on the hitch for a 1/2 ton it will sag quite a bit... Make sure your truck frame is rated for a larger class hitch also...

Lynden-Jeff
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey,

Well I belive it will support a class 3 weight distrabuting hitch which is 10000 lb tow 1000 tounge. Right now the trailer weighs 2100 lbs so 155 is 350 lbs. I feel im safe for now but when I get the chance I will upgrade.

Cheers!

Jeff

Rizzo
04-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Have you used a weight dist setup before? It's kind of a pain to hook up each time and it limits how sharp you can back up somewhat but they do a good job of keeping the load even on your truck.

To find the loaded tongue weight of your trailer try this. With the truck and trailer on level ground use a bathroom scale which is usually rated for around 300 lbs, with the trailer tongue resting on the truck hitch put the jack in the down position but about 5-6" off the ground with a 4' 2x6 centered under the jack foot, place the scale under one end of the 2x6 and another board equal to the height of the scale under the other side of the 2x6, start cranking the jack until it either lifts completely off the hitch or maxes out the scale, double the weight reading on the scale and you will have your tongue weight.

Rizzo
04-09-2007, 09:18 PM
The above is only an approximation and accuracy depends on how close your jack is to the ball coupler, the closer the more accurate the reading... If it breaks the board then it's to heavy...lol