PDA

View Full Version : scag problems

Duncan IN
07-29-2001, 05:53 AM
I currently own a scag 27 HP mower and I was wondering what other owners have to say about the mowers. What is the main problem that they are having with the mowers. What I have noticed with the scags is that they have choose a good motor that will last, but the hydros seem week and the deck becomes uneven after some use. I am not hard on my mowers so the deck problem is not my fault. Any suggestions I would apprieciate.

awm
07-29-2001, 10:12 AM
sorry ,best i can tell you is to hit the search mode .
mabe the scag is so much heavier that these pumps have trouble withum. kinda doubt that though.others have had similar complaints lately though. i would hope they put in a simple system to level the decks. think im going to make a point to demo one so i can look for the potential problems.
never know i may end up riding one home:)

Eric ELM
07-29-2001, 10:23 AM
You just posted in this post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18211 that Scag is the best mower made yesterday. Did you read all the replies to your post there?

Here is a search on Scag with 121 threads as a result.
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=15587&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I only know of one crew that uses Scag and they drive 50 miles one way to the job. The next time I see them pushing their new Turf Tiger on the trailer again, I'll ask them what the problems they are having with theirs. Since I see them push the one on the trailer, I do know they are having problems or they would be driving it on the trailer.

MIDSOUTH
07-29-2001, 10:28 AM
I bought a scag last year and a wheel motor went bad at 70 hrs and now at 400 hrs the motors all messed up, I enjoy my 27hp lazer I bought a couple of weeks ago. But Scag is the best like you always say-HaHa- just kidding-LOL's. Hope it works out for you. I'm going to keep running mine when it gets of the shop I guess.

JLC
07-29-2001, 03:43 PM
Go back and search some of the treads I've posted. I've had a wheel motor, a hydro pump, and a wheel hub on the right side. Just had the frame crack at the weld holding the front caster on. The standard deck wont discharge well. To top it off the left side drive system is on its way out. Mine only has 365 hours on it. I will not buy another one even if I got a deal on it. If the local dealer impresses me as much as the Hustler guys at the Expo my next machine will be a 72" Hustler Super Z and 54" Hustler walkbehind.

Duncan IN
07-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Eric
I know scag is not the best, I prefer it over the other mowers but It does have it's problems. I had problems with my hydro's being week and had one blow I traded it the next day for the 27 horse and bigger seat. I was just giving some people a hard time about them being the best.

jandmlandscaping
07-30-2001, 11:00 PM
i have a 27hp-61" tiger
which i have added the first hydro cooler to and that has resulted in much improvement in "hot" hill climbing and control...
now if only there was more weight on the rear tires so i could get some traction!!!! anyone else getting this problem?
i have tried everything... then i used my dealers sabertooth demo
and saw the light... check out how the engine im farther back!!
hmmm i wonder if this is why the sabertooth feels like its got cleats on??? same tires,,,same air pressure,,, more weight!!
also notice how your seat is blocked from going back as far as the old kohler 25's do ,,, add a radiator and move the operator foward???? bad idea scag!!! so my recent improvement is to add 100lbs to the rear of the mower and see if that helps...
i will keep you posted and appreciate any comments,questions,ideas, and other bs you guys want to tell me!
thanks john

tralfaz
07-31-2001, 12:28 AM
I have a Turf Tiger 25 h.p. liquid cooled Kawasaki that has had the hydro pumps go out four seperate times. It has a little over 1,000 hours on it. Other than this reoccurring annoyance, it has been a pretty good mower. How much does this hydro cooler cost? Are there two- one for each pump or just one?

JLC
07-31-2001, 12:52 AM
Yes, please expand on the oil cooler addition. What brand, where you mounted it, etc. You also mentioned more control. Could you elaborate on these findings. Sounds like a GOOD upgrade for the weak hydros.

EJK2352
07-31-2001, 12:58 AM
tralfaz,
Are you running synthetic oil in your hydro system??? If not I would suggest doing it. The hydro pumps & motors are close to if not the same as Exmarks. I worked for a company that had 13 Lazers some with over 2000 hrs. on them. We had ZERO hydro problems. I feel that the lack of problems is because of Exmarks use of Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic in their hydro systems. I have a lawn service in my area that runs a Scag Turf Tiger and has had to replace 2 pumps and 2 wheel motors on their machine. Their Turf Tiger has around 1000 hrs on it.:) ED

jandmlandscaping
07-31-2001, 01:42 AM
is that the 23 or 27 hp kawi? they don't sell 25hp kawi's on tigers

jandmlandscaping
07-31-2001, 01:50 AM
jlc send me an email jandmlandscaping@snet.net i will give you the scoop on building a better tiger
and yes its 2 coolers one for each side:)

TLS
07-31-2001, 02:07 AM
Tralfaz,

I know that Kawi MAKES a 25 hp LC, but I'm not sure that SCAG uses them. If they do, its something new, and for you to already have 1000 hrs on it seems a little odd? After all the engine was only released late 3rd quarter of 2000. Now its possible to accumulate those hours in a half season, but....

jandmlandscaping
07-31-2001, 09:55 AM
i have 225 hrs not 1000 by the way

tralfaz
08-05-2001, 07:57 PM
Hey, I wasn't meaning to lie about the horsepower on my Turf Tiger. It's a 22 h.p. liquid cooled Kawasaki. I was reading the replies and was like "what are they talking about?", but I read my reply and see that I put 25 h.p. My mistake, I don't know what I was thinking. Also, I am using regular oil in the hydro system but I will change to synthetic if that will make it last longer. I never really thought of that.

mountain
08-05-2001, 08:59 PM
just bought a new swzu52 . it has maybe 20hrs on it . the stupid machine will not climb a hill without physically pushing the control levers the hydro units seem to be way under powered . our 48inch units are hard to keep decks on the ground they have so much tork also the 48's hold 7 quarts but this heavier 52" only holds 4 quarts , what's up with that?

WREBELMACHINE
08-17-2001, 07:01 PM
I have test drove this unit and it seems to be built well. However one of my competitors bought a 27hp 72" this spring and has complained that he cannot keep a pump belt on his machine also his hydro's wine a lot when he mowes hillsides!

as far as cutting power and clean mowing is good the only time that I have seen him have trouble with the cut is when it's very wet!

Good Luck!

walking shoe
08-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Check the tire pressure on all four tires if deck is not cutting
level. When cutting warm season grasses on any slope it allways seems to cut unlevel.

captdevo
08-17-2001, 10:17 PM
Any suggestions I would apprieciate.

Get a different mower!

just my opinion.........

jandmlandscaping
08-18-2001, 02:17 AM
have you read your manual on how to adjust your deck pitch and level?
did you know your deck should be pitched with the front lower than the rear?
also is the surface ie dirt smooth? or and there tire compaction lines from cutting in the same pattern every time?
also did you know that most of your weight is on the tires which face the down side of the hill meaning .....more weight on the left tire will cause the machine to sit lower on the left side...
solution.. double cut..or increase air pressure on the down facing side and only mow one direction.....or go top to bottum....
i have one customer who's lawn is wet until early summer.
i have made slight ruts just by mowing... good luck

awm
08-19-2001, 08:53 PM
if the pumps are the same as other brands,mabe the scag is just made to heavy. i know it looks stout.

tralfaz
08-26-2001, 01:18 AM
I've wondered before if it has anything to do with the setup of the belt system on the back of the Turf Tiger. The hydro pumps are vertical whereas on other machines they are horizontal. Maybe they don't perform as well in that position.