PDA

View Full Version : Poly Reel-Holder

mrgreen3
04-07-2007, 04:54 PM
OK,Long thread awhile back and a bit funny,however,no answers. I'm looking for a holder/reel for one inch poly,preferably with wheels. I know they are out there,I've used them before helping out another firm,but for the life of me can't find the source..Any help would be appreciated..

bdb
04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
There is a company in Blaine, MN. Kaercher Inc. They make pipe pullers and accessories.

aric43085
04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
turn the poly sidways and it will unroll itself.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
There might have been something like a poly pipe reel in the old King Products line, but it may be long gone by now, especially since over-taping of some poly pipe rolls made it impossible to not have a man holding the roll, ready to pull or cut tape.

bdb
04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
especially since over-taping of some poly pipe rolls made it impossible to not have a man holding the roll, ready to pull or cut tape.

Charter Plastics??

Kartanimal29
04-08-2007, 12:46 AM
I've been looking for one for years. I think I'm gonna build one, seams pretty simple. Some 1 bye square stock , 2 wheel's and something to rotate the cage. probably cost ya around $60 to build.

PurpHaze
04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a larger plumber's "sewer snake" cage. :)

mwardy
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I found a used one a few years back. They work good. The pivot is a boat seat swivel. It would be easy to make one. Your onthe right track with 1" square tube.

bicmudpuppy
04-08-2007, 11:04 AM
At the risk of stepping beyond the discussion, I have never understood the need for a poly roll rack like we are talking about. The ones I have seen are very pricey. Reams Sprinkler Supply used to carry one in the KC metro area. Not sure how far their coverage area goes.
http://www.reams.net/

BUT, I always prefered to "shake out" the pipe myself before a pull. As has been mentioned, over-taping has been a problem of late and "seeing" the pipe is never a bad thing. I connect the roll to the finger, and then take a few steps back to stretch things out. Then kick of 4-6 "loops" of pipe. Flip the roll to reverse the "twist" and kick off 4-6 "loops" again. flip and repeat until you have enough pipe out to make your pull. A second pair of eyes at the point of entry is a good idea, but not always practical (I'm not the only guy pulling solo out there). In this case, I take the roll and "loops" down toward the direction I am pulling, or in a spot so I can watch the pipe and make sure things keep moving.

Duramaxsle1
04-08-2007, 11:54 AM
OK,Long thread awhile back and a bit funny,however,no answers. I'm looking for a holder/reel for one inch poly,preferably with wheels. I know they are out there,I've used them before helping out another firm,but for the life of me can't find the source..Any help would be appreciated..

They have them here. http://www.utimachines.com
I have one and it works great....ask for Mike he is the owner.

Kartanimal29
04-08-2007, 12:54 PM
At the risk of stepping beyond the discussion, I have never understood the need for a poly roll rack like we are talking about. The ones I have seen are very pricey. Reams Sprinkler Supply used to carry one in the KC metro area. Not sure how far their coverage area goes.
http://www.reams.net/

BUT, I always prefered to "shake out" the pipe myself before a pull. As has been mentioned, over-taping has been a problem of late and "seeing" the pipe is never a bad thing. I connect the roll to the finger, and then take a few steps back to stretch things out. Then kick of 4-6 "loops" of pipe. Flip the roll to reverse the "twist" and kick off 4-6 "loops" again. flip and repeat until you have enough pipe out to make your pull. A second pair of eyes at the point of entry is a good idea, but not always practical (I'm not the only guy pulling solo out there). In this case, I take the roll and "loops" down toward the direction I am pulling, or in a spot so I can watch the pipe and make sure things keep moving.

I just hate walking the pipe out, takes up my time LOL. One plus to the reel is that you will not have alot of scrape pipe in the back of your truck at the end of the day. I think with the reel that you could probably get 2 or 3 more zones in in a day too. If you have one guy unroll the pipe when you pull , now he can be digging the head holes. Many time I have kinked the pipe using the loop way.

Too big. The one I seen was a flat unit, made for easy transport. It wouldn't be much bigger then the roll of pipe. I have a day in the shop this Wed. I think I'll stop down at the local metal yard and buy some 1 in. square stock and make one. I'll take some pic. when I'm done with it.

bobw
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM

I saw a brochure for one of those at one of my supply houses. Their website is so bad that it stopped me from ever doing a follow up. I wouldn't have minded getting some more info on their plow as well...

If the pipe roller would knock down to minimize trailer space when not in use, it'd be pretty slick.

Duramaxsle1
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
What is wrong with their web site? Mike is a fantastic guy to deal with, I bought a plow off him in 2001, it has worked great, blows the ditchwhitch sx100 out of the water any day. The reel doesn't fold up but is light and stands up on end.

HBFOXJr
04-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I fianlly spent exhorbitant money last year, tracked one down in the mid west and bought it. I'd threatened to buy or make one for years and didn't. I'm happy I finally bought it. Works well and cuts labor in half for pipe installation. The guys even leave the pipe and rack on the trailer sometimes and just reroll when done. I'll check on the manufacturer.

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
... I'll check on the manufacturer.

Or take a picture with a digital camera and post it up here with the manufacturer's name and link. (Just trying to beat Mike to the punch line.) :laugh:

Kartanimal29
04-20-2007, 05:49 PM
I have some pic. of the one I'm making tomorrow

bobw
04-21-2007, 01:02 PM
What is wrong with their web site? Mike is a fantastic guy to deal with, I bought a plow off him in 2001, it has worked great, blows the ditchwhitch sx100 out of the water any day. The reel doesn't fold up but is light and stands up on end.

What makes thier plow so much better than a 100sx (believe me, no love lost here on 100sx's... grrr)?

Also... what kind of a price range is that pipe reel? I don't think I'm gonna be able to find a decent helper this year, so that reel may be a good investment from a time perspective.

Too bad that UTI doesn't seem to have any distributors this far west.

Duramaxsle1
04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
It's built very tought and easy to operate. The 100sx doesn't even compare.

I think the reel is around $600.00.

bobw
04-22-2007, 01:33 AM
$600 for the reel???!!!! I'm thinking that that won't fit into the budget.... yikes....

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2007, 07:23 AM
$600 for the reel???!!!! I'm thinking that that won't fit into the budget.... yikes....

Helper to roll out pipe at $X/hour divided by $600 = ????? Even at minimum wage (and if you can find help that will even show up 3 out of 5 for minimum, you're beating the odds really bad) your going to pay for the reel in a month.

Machinery that you use is rarely a bad investment. One of the biggest humps an installer makes it over is owning vs renting his machinery.

bobw
04-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Helper to roll out pipe at $X/hour divided by $600 = ????? Even at minimum wage (and if you can find help that will even show up 3 out of 5 for minimum, you're beating the odds really bad) your going to pay for the reel in a month.

Machinery that you use is rarely a bad investment. One of the biggest humps an installer makes it over is owning vs renting his machinery.

It's a lot harder for me to figure out the payback point on that, partly because I am so used to doing pulls by myself. For me, I look at this item as a bit of a luxury item, the main reason to own it is to make my life a bit easier, not out of necessity.

I'm a big believer in owning everything I need, and in doing regular maintenance and upgrades. At this point in the season, I've already spent my budget for the year on these sorts of things (borit, hd drill for driving the borit, tires for truck, maintenance on 100sx), so this item needs to slide under my radar screen to be purchased this year. At half the price I'd have to think hard about it, especially because we have no dealers for it around here and I can't "demo" it. A demo could easily make or break the deal, or justify the price, but I don't have that luxury. I just have to decide, and if I don't like it, well, I'm stuck with it.

As a small business owner, everything is a trade off. The money I spend comes out of my pocket at the end of the year, so when I spend it, I do it in the expectation that there is a financial reward for it.

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Also... what kind of a price range is that pipe reel? I don't think I'm gonna be able to find a decent helper this year, so that reel may be a good investment from a time perspective.

Too bad that UTI doesn't seem to have any distributors this far west.

It's a lot harder for me to figure out the payback point on that, partly because I am so used to doing pulls by myself. For me, I look at this item as a bit of a luxury item, the main reason to own it is to make my life a bit easier, not out of necessity.

This sounds like you were looking for ways to replace a helper, not make things just easier on you. My mistake. My children tell me all the time I don't understand this English that I thought I learned as a child.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
One problem I can forsee with a pipe holder, for the solo practitioner, is that it might need to be dragged around the yard, while doing the pulls.

bobw
04-22-2007, 03:31 PM
This sounds like you were looking for ways to replace a helper, not make things just easier on you. My mistake. My children tell me all the time I don't understand this English that I thought I learned as a child.

I would love to have a helper, but we are in an economic boom here. Advertising for a simple helper at $15/hr has brought 0 response. Last season I did most of the season alone for the same reason. So, whether I like it or not, I'm solo...

Boots - I can see the liklihood of having to drag it around, but by the same token, I'd be dragging the pipe over to a new pull point anyway. As long as the holder rolls ok, I can't see it being that much of an issue.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Boots - I can see the liklihood of having to drag it around, but by the same token, I'd be dragging the pipe over to a new pull point anyway. As long as the holder rolls ok, I can't see it being that much of an issue.It would all depend on the property, and the pipe. Laid on its side, the pipe roll could be too wide to get through a garden gate, or past trees and shrubbery.

JeffY
04-22-2007, 08:55 PM
We have a pipe reel. I will take pictures of it and how it gets used. It really does help to have it as it frees up a man to help dig heads instead of holding the pipe.

bobw
04-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Well, bitter reality has arrived. My local supplier, where I first saw the brochure on this thing, responded to my query on pricing. By the time it gets shipped here, he wants $850.00 for it. Bet you he doesn't sell any at that price.

Time for me to see if I can figure out a plan for one of these and hit a fabrication shop up for a quote.

GreatWhiteNorth
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Just priced one. $750.00. Don't know if it is worth it. Can be seen at the uti website. Looks slick.:canadaflag:

GreatWhiteNorth
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I figure 40 feet of square or round stock and a heavy duty 2 wheel dolly (about $55.00 at princess auto) as the starting point and a guy could make one for about $150.00

eagle irrigation
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Years ago a company I worked for had a poly pipe unreeler. It was about tweenty years old, and didn't work very well. It was made in mexico and it believe it was named Jose. Not sure if this helps much.

Tom Tom
03-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Years ago a company I worked for had a poly pipe unreeler. It was about tweenty years old, and didn't work very well. It was made in mexico and it believe it was named Jose. Not sure if this helps much.

I knew Jose!

He said he worked for a company years ago that had a poly pipe machine operator that didn't work very well. It was made in Texas and its name was
Bob. Hope this helps.

DanaMac
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
They're here all week folks! Please tip your wait staff.

Tom Tom
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Dana.

That damn laughing lab gave me a splitting headache. Sucks getting old(er).

DanaMac
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey Dana.

That damn laughing lab gave me a splitting headache. Sucks getting old(er).

Wimp!! How about a watered down Coors Light next time? :drinkup:

hoskm01
03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
At what point does that just become dirty water? I thought it was watered down already?

AI Inc
03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
At what point does that just become dirty water? I thought it was watered down already?

COuld be worse , could be a Corona. Whats the largest ingrediant in beer? Water. Whats the first thing people tell ya when ya say your going to Mexico?

hoskm01
03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
COuld be worse , could be a Corona. Whats the largest ingrediant in beer? Water. Whats the first thing people tell ya when ya say your going to Mexico?
DONT DRINK THE WATER!

Maybe they actually do refine the water before cooking the beer? We can only hope. In college I though Mexican beer was pretty decent. Glad I grew out of that.

Tom Tom
03-05-2008, 09:03 AM

I drank a few of those earlier in the day, so wimp I was!

Wet_Boots
03-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I still like Dos Equis - ever have Peruvian beer?

hoskm01
03-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Peruvian, not yet. Bohemian, not bad.

DanaMac
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I still like Dos Equis

Very good. Modelo Espescial (sp?) is good too. The Negra is ok.

Pipe Puller
04-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Go to www.kaercherinc.com for poly pipe reels.

SI2004
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
search is over
I made one over three years ago and when I was going to make one more I decided to make more to sell them. see what you think. only takes up a 2ft by 4ft space in truck and only weighs 35-40 lbs and has wire spool holder on it.
$395 after shipping

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/1070146483.html
or email me staggirrigation@yahoo.com

Kiril
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Who wants to do the honors?

Wet_Boots
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
After you...

WalkGood
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Anyone ever get the Kaercherinc reel? Yes it was posted by the vendor...

ARGOS
03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
After you...

Since not one stepped forward:

SPAM! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE)

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 07:39 AM

Yrs ago , wasnt the amount of x,s a grading system , with 3 x,s being the best?

Wet_Boots
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Yrs ago , wasnt the amount of x,s a grading system , with 3 x,s being the best?Beats me. Isn't it a cliche that all jugs of moonshine have three X's on them?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5840/moonshine.gif

AI Inc
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
thought I remembered that from a balentine commercial.

RandalatA1Sprinklers
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I am either going to buy or fabricate a poly pipe reel. I have found a few that you can buy, but they are pretty costly. Anyone have any pics of the ones they made? How do they work? If you built another one is there anything you would change. I have seen the ones made by Kaercher and UTI machines. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Wet_Boots
01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
What sizes of poly will it work for?

RandalatA1Sprinklers
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
What sizes of poly will it work for?

I use 1 1/4" for mainlines and 1" for laterals

Wet_Boots
01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I had thoughts of working up a design for one, but gave it up when they started in with over-taping the rolls to make them stack better.

GreenI.A.
01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Saw people started osting on this one again. I have a trick that has worked great for me. I have a 4x4 sheat of plywood that as a 5 gallon pail mounted to the center of it. I lay it down on the ground and lay the poly right on it around the pail. I remove the tapeand let the pipe expand out if it wants to then hook it to the puller. As I pull, the roll simply spins on its side around the pail. Works great, the ail is mounted with a wing nut so it simple dissaembles and stores easily

RandalatA1Sprinklers
01-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Saw people started osting on this one again. I have a trick that has worked great for me. I have a 4x4 sheat of plywood that as a 5 gallon pail mounted to the center of it. I lay it down on the ground and lay the poly right on it around the pail. I remove the tapeand let the pipe expand out if it wants to then hook it to the puller. As I pull, the roll simply spins on its side around the pail. Works great, the ail is mounted with a wing nut so it simple dissaembles and stores easily

That is a great idea. Sometimes simpler is better. I like that it is very easy to store also. Thanks!

GreenI.A.
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm going to make a slight change this spring. I'm going to add a 4" PVC coupling on to the board to feed the PVC thru. I think it will help the poly feed straight towrds me and help straighten out the pipe. Also I have had an issue of the bourd not being heavy enough and moving around, I simply slide a bag of quickrete into the pail. The 80lbs is more than enough waight. i had the bag sitting on the truck one day and slid it in.

This cost me absolutly $0 to make, it was all stuff I had sitting on the truck one day. I was sitting in the trailer eating lunch while it was raining. I had a roll of poly laying on the floor with a 5 gal pail thown in the middle of it and the idea hit me

cbate13
09-18-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.moveitinc.com/PolyMinder.html