PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil recommendations

qualitylawnlc
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I have an eXmark with a 15hp kaw. I've been using rotella sae 30, which is the recommended weight for this engine. I had someone tell me today that this was a poor choice. I've always used rotella in all of my air cooled engines. What do you think?

T'S lawncare
04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
your manual probably says use straight 30 depending on outside temp. And thats a safe choice for summer applications, I wouldn't worry about it,

Bill Kapaun
04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I think "someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.
"Diesel" oils tend to have higher levels of anti-wear/scuff additives vs "auto" oils. Some of these additives "kill" catalytic converters, so they aren't used in autos.
I personally like DELO 400, but Rotella is very good too.
I think the Diesel oils are GREAT for small engines.

The main thing is to change it when needed and most any detergent oil will do a good job.

Sammy
04-08-2007, 11:12 AM
.......... I've been using rotella sae 30, which is the recommended weight for this engine. I had someone tell me today that this was a poor choice. ..........

A poor choice because of the brand or weight of the oil ?

qualitylawnlc
04-09-2007, 11:38 AM
The weight is as recommended, I was told that diesel oil was just a poor choice. Before I used it in the Kaw, I made sure it met the SH/SJ ratings which it does. I'll keep using it.

mini14
04-09-2007, 09:51 PM
s ratings are for gas engines, s=spark

c ratings are for diesels, c=compression

any dino diesel oil with s rating will be better then a dino gas engine oil. lots more addatives, and it wont clog cats if it has any s rating...never seen a cat on a mower.

Restrorob
04-09-2007, 10:41 PM
never seen a cat on a mower.

It won't be long before you do, They are in the works as we type.