PDA

View Full Version : Sewer drain clean outs

linky
07-29-2001, 11:23 AM
Why are sewer drain cleanouts always so much higher than grade. I have several properties that they are four inches above the sod. I know they need to be accessible and not get buried but some are just too tall and look bad. Not to mention the cast iron tops will do a number on your blades.

Eric ELM
07-29-2001, 11:35 AM
Plumbers know that cold water goes on the right and Cah Cah runs down hill, but some forget that the dirt they put around the cleanouts will settle. :D

Jet boater
07-29-2001, 12:31 PM
I think in our area there is a regulation regarding having them above the grade.

BUT, we built our house a couple of years ago and the first thing I did after they finished the septic tank install was take a sawzall out there and move down level with the grade.

Cleve
07-29-2001, 03:36 PM
Our local county crews usually install these access pipes. And in my neighborhood they always seem to leave them sticking up 5 or 6 inches. I think they just enjoy leaving a white pipe sticking up just for fun. I happened to be home the day they installed ours. I stayed near them and when they started cutting the pipe I told the guy that I mowed my lawn with a large commercial mower and woulld just mow it down if he left it sticking up. They were using the white PVC pipe anyway. He left it sticking up and I did as I said I would. I mowed it down. Then covered the open pipe with plastic tape. They came through a few months later and stopped to check ours. This time they did it right and left the cap just at ground level.
Cleve.

Guido
07-29-2001, 05:30 PM
As an equipment operator, I dig a lot for the utilities shops on base. Once you know the mechanics of the valve box pipe or the cleanout pipe, its a really easy fix. If its a valve down their in your water line, you can just digdown, pull the pipe out and cut a little off the bottom and just sit it back in there. If its a cleanout, and it has a cap on the outside diameter of the pipe, you can cut it off at the top and put the cap back on.

And by the way, you can't blame it on the contractors unless it was installed after the finish grading was done and there was an established lawn there. They usually shoot it and leave it to the height that the finish grade SHOULD be, not what the landscapers end up with when they're done.

I'll draw a pic and post it here in a second.

Guido
07-29-2001, 05:55 PM
Okay, you have to know what your dealing with, because a lot of people confuse sewer/storm drain line cleanouts with valve boxes.

Heres a pic of the sewer line cleanout pipe. The purpose is to be able to access the pipe so you can flush high pressure water through the pipe or run a "snake" through it to clean it out.

There are a few things you can try to fix it. Sometime you can screw the pipe down into the "T" more if its threaded into the "T". If not, if there is a way you can get the cover back on to any piece of the pipe, take and cut off your length at the top (ground level) and re-install your cover.

Guido
07-29-2001, 06:02 PM
Here is a pic of the water line shut off valve and box. The purpose of the box (the pipe that sticks out of the ground) is just to keep a clear track down to that valve in case they need to stick their long valve wrench down into there to shut off the water; weather it be for an emergency or for a repair.

This pipe just sits on top of the valve, and is usually not secured at all. You can dig down to the valve and cut some of the pipe off the bottom and then set it back in there and backfill.

Also, the same goes as the sewer pipe; if you can recover the top after cutting off some from the top, do it that way. (a lot easier than digging down to the valve!)

Well I hope this helped somebody understand it better. It helped me learn to resize the pictures down before LS will let me upload them!

Rooster
07-29-2001, 06:04 PM
Hmm...
Sewer cleanoutS :mad:

Have you guys been to my house? I had to open mine an run the ole snake down it today.

Got enough roots to start my own root garden, oh well, more yard work to do now!

Just seemed strange that this post goes up and I have problems on the same day!

:rolleyes:

Guido
07-29-2001, 06:04 PM
Sorry! :cry: Forgot to add the pic, and it wasn't one of the edit options!

Here it is (The water valve)

vipermanz
07-29-2001, 06:44 PM
rooster,
me and my dad had a fight with a 100' snake yesterday:angry:

it would not reel back up