PDA

View Full Version : 12.5 Kawasaki

newtex
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I bought a used 36" Gravely with a 12.5 Kawasaki engine. The engine is flooding when I try to start it. I can see gas dripping from the place where the muffler port meets the manifold. After about 20 pulls, the beast starts up with a vast amount of white smoke blowing out of the muffler and the manifold. When I pull off the air cleaner, I can see gas sitting in the carburetor. What adjustments can I make to the carburetor? I have adjusted many Briggs engines, but this is my first Kawasaki. There is a screw on the bottom of the float bowl. What is that for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

khouse
04-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Remove the carb bowl and take your float off and shake it to make sure there is no hole in it. Then inspact your needle and blow out the seat. Reinstall needle and float and set the float level. Post back.

Mark in MD
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes. When gas won't stop entering the carb, it's more than likely because the float is stuck in the down position, and that's because the tiny valve above the float probably has a tiny piece of debris stuck in it, that won't allow it to close. So it stays open, and your bowl overflows.

After removing the float by taking out the little stem hinge that holds it, I like to use a strong thin piece of wire to poke into the channel valve, to clear it out. Then test it to see that it closes. A squirt of WD-40 wouldn't hurt. Replace float. You're back in business.