PDA

View Full Version : Rear Airbags

RedWingsDet
04-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Has anyone purchased air bags for the rear of the truck when towing heavy loads. Im looking at getting a set without the compressor for $250 and just mounting the hose fittings by the license plate.

Im stumped weather to get bags or adding a leaf. Im leaning towards bags since they can be adjusted for the winter.

Whatcha think?

mike lane lawn care
04-08-2007, 09:01 AM
that's exactly what i did for the astro, i go a set of 3/4 ton airbags and installed them so that when i load up the tandem axle trailer, she don't have any sag at all. works great, plus, you can lower the airbags to get better handling when you don't need them.

wriken
04-08-2007, 09:06 AM
I had a set on 2002 f-250, set up just like you are saying. They helped alot. My brother has a set on his king ranch, w/compressor, I think if I was to do it again, I would go w/compressor. You can air up other things also.

MysticLandscape
04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I had air bags in my old truck, they worked good I loved them however I don't how they hold up in the long run. I got a buddy who has them in a 250 and one has a hole in it and they are only 3 years old. I am not sure how hard it is to get replacement bags might want to look into that. Did you look into timbrens?

RedWingsDet
04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
ya I really dont want timbrens. IMO timbrens are only good for the front.

FearThisDeere
04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I'd get the airbags with the compressor if it was me. You never know when your going to need to change the air pressure mid-route. the only problem is mounting the compressor somewhere.

MysticLandscape
04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes get the compressor I agree, mounting isnt a problem just throw it under the dump insert. I duno yet If I want to get a set for my new truck...

Snyderserv5060
04-08-2007, 12:30 PM
I'd go with the compressor version. Plus a few of them out have attachments for filling up tires and we all know how useful that can be out on a job.

I may go with a set of these on my F350, just need to get a kit made for a lifted truck.

pclawncare
04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
When i bought my dodge 3/4 ton it had a set of air bags on it with the fittings mounted in the rear they are about 8 or 9 yr old and still holding up fine. I do have to adjust them accasionaly but mostly due to temp changes. I really do like them i do run them a little lower on pressure then they say. It makes a better ride i mean allowing the suspension to move a little more freely than if they were aired up to the max and this little bit of suspension travel i think helps stuff ride easier on my trailer because the rear absorbes the bumps a little insted of being more rigid

RedWingsDet
04-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys. I ordered mine today. Firestones with 5,000lb rating. I didnt get the compressor, I am going to see how it does without the compressor, I didnt want to spend the extra $300 for the compressor when I can fill the bags up at the shop, or I can just plug the air compressor into the cigerrate lighter and use it that way if im in a jam.

tnpete
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. I ordered mine today. Firestones with 5,000lb rating. I didnt get the compressor, I am going to see how it does without the compressor, I didnt want to spend the extra $300 for the compressor when I can fill the bags up at the shop, or I can just plug the air compressor into the cigerrate lighter and use it that way if im in a jam.

I have the same ones. Load 4000+ in my 2004 crewcab 4x4 and its like its not even back there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan%20811-SL/camper107.jpg

A.D Services
04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
hey tnpete that a nice campin rig ya got there. my grampa has a lance and an extended cab dodge ram 2500 that i go camping in all the time . i should tell him about these airbags. looks like it made a difference with your setup. might help his truck out too cause i noticed his squated down pretty low.

keepoffthegrass
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I just put the bags on my 01 silverado HD and i love them, i would say spend the extra on the compressor because it would be nice to be able to level out the truck with the trailer, unhook, change it fast for loads of different weights and what not. Comppressor would be nice to because with the bags inflated for loads the ride without a load is stiff as hell. With no load i got a good 2.5-3" of lift when inflated. made the truck look sweet. With a super heavy load (5000#) if ur n idiot n jerk the wheel on the highway she tends to sway fair bit but only if u do sudden movements. well thats my write up on my bags. Going to go order my comperessor!
:cool2: