PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation pumps

GrazerZ
04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Could someone recommend a book or books that have good pump information as it applys to irrigation. Thank you.

Wet_Boots
04-08-2007, 10:11 AM
www.google.com ~ you need to narrow down your searching for your particular applications. There is information out there. You might start with the pump brands that are locally available to you. Jet pumps for surface water and well points, is one way to narrow down the field.

GrazerZ
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm looking for an irrigation based booked that covers the ins and outs of setting up pumps for irrigation purposes.

bicmudpuppy
04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm looking for an irrigation based booked that covers the ins and outs of setting up pumps for irrigation purposes.

If you judged this profession by intelligent literature, you would quickly come to the conclusion we are an illiterate bunch, BUT if you find such a book, and it isn't total bilge, please share what you find.

txgrassguy
04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Grazer, there are books that are written for pump usage, and it takes up a whole counter top to store them.
There exists a myriad of specific details required to select an appropriate pump for an irrigation system.
And the problem is in the details.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but a seemingly innocent question runs the gamut of fluid dynamics and the movement of an liquid that cannot be compressed through vessels of differing sizes to various exit points - all which has an absolute impact on pump selection and usage.

GrazerZ
04-10-2007, 01:43 AM
I get that. the problem is that to learn more about irrigation pumps, I have to either drive to New Jersery from Maine for a class, read a book, or ask you guys.There have not been any relevent classes near me for a little while. Maybe this year. I try to learn as much as I can from reading not asking.

Wet_Boots
04-10-2007, 08:58 AM
If this about watering lawns from surface water or well points, then you can stick with learning jet pumps. Limit suction-side losses wherever practical. It's easier for a pump to push water than it is to pull water. You may find that there are a lack of good surface water strainers that will make it easy to pump surface water into standard clean-water sprinkler systems.