PDA

View Full Version : how many of you mulch under big shrubs?

outcold00
04-08-2007, 10:28 AM
obviously if you dont put mulch under all plants, there wont get the benefits, but im just wondering, how many of you guys put mulch all the way under big shrubs? even if you cant see under then, i used to have a client that said when the plants grow bigger, you dont have to mulch under them. just wondering. also, stupid question, what exactly are the benefits of mulch? helps keep moisture in and help keeps weeds out is that it? thanks guys

Duekster
04-08-2007, 10:37 AM
If we are paid to mulch then we mulch all the way.

Tim@AcesLCLS
04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I would base it on the amount of profit if the customer is very cheap then I would say know but if they decent about the money go the extra mile I would think it would not cost you very much more or you can factor the cost of the little bit more into the price.

jameson
04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
obviously if you dont put mulch under all plants, there wont get the benefits, but im just wondering, how many of you guys put mulch all the way under big shrubs? even if you cant see under then, i used to have a client that said when the plants grow bigger, you dont have to mulch under them. just wondering. also, stupid question, what exactly are the benefits of mulch? helps keep moisture in and help keeps weeds out is that it? thanks guys

"Bigger" plants benefit from mulch just as much as newly installed plant materials. Besides adding protection against drought and a provider of beneficial nutrients - it keeps the weeds down (and makes 'em easier to pull)!

Perhaps you misunderstood your client? Mounding mulch, higher than the existing soil line, around the base of plants is an invitation to phytophthera fungi.