PDA

View Full Version : How to run a power source on the outside of my house?

CK82
04-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I am lookin got install approximately six low voltage lights to illuminate my flower beds, the only problem is I dont have a power source. I was wondering if I was supposed to go through the foundation or just above it. I will have an electrician friend run the wire and what not. Any information on this subject would be helpful.

NightScenes
04-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't understand your question. Are you asking how to get your 120v circuit to the place where your transformer needs to go, or how to get the wires from the flower beds into your transformer?

Pro-Scapes
04-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds to me like he doesnt have the 120v there.

If your friends a licensed electrician I would hope that he would know how to get it there. You dont give enough info on exactly what you need.

Pro-Scapes
04-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Sounds to me like he doesnt have the 120v there.

If your friends a licensed electrician I would hope that he would know how to get it there. You dont give enough info on exactly what you need. What exactly do you mean by thru the foundation or above it ?

gammon landscaping
04-09-2007, 12:57 AM
i try and just run the 12 volt inside and mount my transformer there. i hate seeing transformers on the outside of a house. but the nice stainless boxes look great next to a water heater or in a garage.

eskerlite
04-09-2007, 08:02 PM
120 or 12v has to be in conduit going through the structure. Its easier to go through wood than concrete.transformer inside Ok if its on a timer but might hinder a photocell unless equipped with a 12v photocell which can be moved to a natural light source.
Sean C.

CK82
04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry guys, I am really unfamilar with low voltage lighting, just wanted to install some lighting in my beds out front of my house and do not have a power source outside at all. I am looking for some tips from you pro's on how to get this started. I will have an electrician friend helping though. Not quite sure where to begin I guess.

CK82
04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
So it sounds like I need a transformer, which needs to be near light in order to sense when the lights or power should turn on. I probably could mount the transformer outside behind some shrubry and will come through just above the cement foundation with the power source.

Pro-Scapes
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry guys, I am really unfamilar with low voltage lighting, just wanted to install some lighting in my beds out front of my house and do not have a power source outside at all. I am looking for some tips from you pro's on how to get this started. I will have an electrician friend helping though. Not quite sure where to begin I guess.

CK... If your unfamiliar with electrical systems you may want to contact a proffesional installer. While it may not be the cheapest route the results will stand out and you willl have a system built to last.

Perhaps if you post some pics one of us could design your system for a modest fee and it will be designed artistically and safely. My guess since your a homeowner and just looking to install some lights in the beds you will be using a big box store product like malibu or something. They wont last a winter for you really.

Yes you need a transformer for low voltage... Yes you install it outside at least 1 foot above the ground. Yes it needs to be plugged into a dedicated GFCI outlet with an inuse cover over it.

Good luck.

CK82
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I appreciate the information everyone, I am only adding a few lights to illuminate my beds and like I said will have an electrician doing most of the electrical, I was just looking for some tips on getting started. I will use the info I got for the time being. My local landscape supplier is also a major irrigation and lighting dealer. Im sure they have quality products and will be able to give me some insight. Thanks again.

Chris