PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Aerator

LAWNGODFATHER
07-29-2001, 04:56 PM
I am searching for the perfect aerator

I am using a Lesco 26” and a Feldman 48” tow core aerators

I already have one for small areas but am looking for one for large areas

I was going to get a tractor and 3pt aerator, but from what I have read that may not be the best way to go

Any suggestions

LGF:blob1:

ant
07-29-2001, 06:17 PM
lgf"
this is what i did last yr.
1. i started with 3 aerators,1 bannerman tow 48" that i used my atv to tow ,1 LESCO 28" and 1 toro lawn air aerator.
around sept. of last season i started to get backed up, the atv was to small and i was scared that i was going to burn it up.(250 timberwolf)
i got a classen split drive 29" to finish out the season and it worked out well .
this season i got a compact tractor with a 3pt. hitch to use with my bannerman and i am useing the lesco and the classen. if i sell the lesco i would get one more classen split reel.
last yr. at a show i seen a guy with a ride on aerator that i like to look into but can not find the company.
ant

cp
07-29-2001, 07:09 PM
Classen has a 3-pt that you can put a tow hitch that will fit a ZTR. If your looking for a walk behind again I choose Classen split drive..

KirbysLawn
07-29-2001, 10:11 PM
It already exist:

http://www.1stproducts.com/test/products/ae80-26.jpg

ant
07-29-2001, 10:23 PM
ray what does that unit cost?
what kind of money per/m can you charge (20,000= sf all open)?
how fAst can you run it?
ant

Brieldo
07-30-2001, 12:56 AM
I dont know how much fabrication skill you have, but some of the best aerators that I've seen have been made by the operators. Just take a look at what you're wanting in an aerator and get the welder going:)

KirbysLawn
07-30-2001, 02:18 AM
Ant, the 60" model cost around $4500, you can move fast and the best thing is it works it's best on hard/dry ground which is great for overseeding in the fall.http://diesel-central.com/Forum/images/biggrin2.gif I charge $40-50 per k with overseeding/fert.

Here is the web site: www.1stproducts.com

LAWNGODFATHER
07-30-2001, 03:40 AM
Kirby

does it tear up the lawn well?

How big of a tractor?

Do you need 4wd or 2wd tractor?

I think the Dealer I used to go to sells Aera-Vaters(or what ever they call it)

Is that you on the tractor?

I was going to buy a 60" 3pt by Millcreek but if I don't need a $13,000 tractor I would go your way

You alredy said it work on hard dry ground and thats why I had to get a big tractor to carry the heavy weigh of the 60" 3pt and weight to get good cores

My 48" I was putting 500lbs on it to get even shallow holes in dry condisions. And I kept blowing out the hydros on my Bobcat ZTR

I was going to barrow a buddies Case lawn and garden tractor thats a hydro but I have to sink money in it to get it working right

I have a lot of aerafing to do to get the lawns in shape for next year

Thanks LGF:blob1:

KirbysLawn
07-30-2001, 04:01 AM
The web site linked above will answer most questions about wthat size tractor you will need for which ever machine you would be considering. I think it does a great job, here is a photo of how it trears the dirt but leaves existing turf:

http://www.unionturf.com/ground_aeravated.JPG

Nope, that's not me on the tractor. Remember this machine does not pull up "cores" like a core aerator does, it vibrates it's tines into the ground, this vibration turns the ground into powder!! It will establish the fullest lawns you will ever see without sod.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-30-2001, 04:06 AM
Yea

I hate those cores any ways

And am tired of getting muddy for weeks after aerating

Thanks Kirby

LGF:blob1:

ant
07-30-2001, 06:50 AM
thanks ray
ant

RMDoyon
07-30-2001, 07:19 PM
Grasshopper offers one of these as an attachment to their machines as well.

leaflawnandlimb
07-30-2001, 10:32 PM
I was going to recomend the tractaire by ryan until I saw the one that kirby posted. I still think the ryan unit is good,but... WOW.

6inline
08-01-2001, 03:21 PM
We also have an aera-vator AE-40L unit on our JD 4100. Previously have used Ryan 36" tow behind and 48" 3pt unit. The aeravator will break up in one pass what took 2-3 passes with the Ryan units. Our set-up is perfect for residential customers as well as commercial areas. Only have to use WB aerator if we can't fit through gates or on narrow section of turf. We overseed prior to aerating and the oscillation of the tines places the seed just below the surface--providing excellent germination results. The roller attachment in a necessicty.

KirbysLawn
08-01-2001, 04:23 PM
Brian that's what I do also, I place 50% of the seed prior to aeravation and the other 50% after, then fertilizer. The results compaired to aeration is very impressive, love it!

scottt
08-01-2001, 07:15 PM
KirbysLawn,
What do you pull the aeravator with?
6inline or KirbysLawn,
Have you ever tried the seeder that the company offers?

crazygator
08-01-2001, 11:25 PM
I have a property that is rather hilly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of aerator would be best for my application? Walk behind or tow? I do not currently have an aerator and need something for this property and something for others as well. I do not have any customers over 1 acre right now so everything is on the small side. Thanks for any help!

NC Big Daddy
08-02-2001, 01:36 AM
By far the best on the market! Bought one last year love it. Just ordered the AE-40-E tow behind model has its own motor.....check it out no need for a PTO unit. It runs about $3600.
Kirby shoot me an e-mail I may have an account over your way if you're not over booked.
TTFN :blob3:

KirbysLawn
08-02-2001, 03:18 AM
Scott, we use a 30 hp Kubota tractor. I have not used the seeding attachment yet, I do it by hand.