PDA

View Full Version : Canít get Peerless 700 transmission cover off.

Ronlawn
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
My walk behind has a broken shift rod (where it sticks out through the top of the transmission and attaches to the shift lever). Itís a Peerless 700-026. I removed the cap screws that hold it together and the cover will lift up and wiggle around but something is still holding it. Thanks.

pugs
04-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Did you pull out that little set screw/spring/ball that is in the side? Basically its an adjustable detent for the shifter...maybe that is hanging you up? I would get it out before you drop it in the lovely Bentonite Grease ;)

Other than that, I cant see anything holding it. If your shifter is gone, shouldnt be anything stopping the cover.

Restrorob
04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
(where it sticks out through the top of the transmission .

When this shift shaft broke it could have caused a burr keeping it from sliding through the top case half. You may need to wedge something between the cases and lightly tap the shaft through.

But, Remove the detent spring and ball as pugs stated before doing so.

Ronlawn
04-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks Pugs. Yes and no. I took the set screw out but the spring is still stuck in there. I'll go back out and fish it out of there.

Ronlawn
04-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Finally got it off! Did have to wedge wood in there and drive the shifter shaft off. (Now know what that ball and spring are for - to hold it in gear). thanks.

pugs
04-09-2007, 09:04 AM
While you are in there, make sure your neutral safety switch is ok. I have seen some of them that the ball basically falls out of and just ends up down in the trans. Although I think the ball is too big to do anything, I dont like having stuff floating around inside of them...LOL

Ronlawn
04-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Ok I'll take a look at the safety switch mechanism.

Its only the third time or so that I've taken one of those grease lubed transmissions apart and every time there is almost no grease left. I admit I tend to ignore transmissions when they are working. But its dumb because they have a nut (or plastic cover) right on top that removes for adding lube. Us non mechanics don't know what to do if we don't see a zerk.

I'm not sure how much to add though now that its apart and wiped out. Fill it up to the top of the bottom half of the case?

Anyway that shift rod was easy to remove. I thought it might be hooked all in and around the gears and shafts but it wasn't and came out easily.

pugs
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
It is supposed to use Bentonite(sp?) grease. How much, I am unsure because when they go bad, they get replaced around here...

That nut you are talking about is usually the neutral switch.