PDA

View Full Version : ? about under ground utilities

yardmanlee
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
buried electric lines are they usually in conduit ? reason asking I have to run a drain line across one or under depending on the depth of the buried line, I have had the utilities marked and know where they are but havent ran across electric lines before. anyone have experienced this before ?
thanks for any imput

Dirt Digger2
04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
no..main lines are not
they are encased in sand or screenings so dig down very carfully and when you hit screening get out with a shovel and find the lines but be careful not to hit them with a shovel because you can scrape the lines and cause pre-mature failure...you might not even come close to them if you are running shallow pipe because they are usually 3 foot down...just be careful...hitting a power line and hearing that crack of the transformer blowing a fuse is not a good sound....neither is the bill when you get it..haha

also utility locators most of the time for lack of better words suck..we hit a line not even marked and when guys come to mark it they mark it wrong sometimes..i say thats not where it is and they question how i know so much...i simply say because i dug the electric ditch...usually shuts them up and then they check the entire property...good luck

dcondon
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM
We had underground run to our new house last year. It was not enclosed in anything or surrounded by sand. I also that ours was buried 36"s. Hope this helps and make sure you check with your local power co about depth in your area.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
watch out digging with a ho near power lines as they arent always marked that great and if they didnt use the foil tape to warn u when digging u could hit them real easy

gobbles2700
04-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Be very careful, everywhere is different. Here the old electric services are direct buried in sand, the new ones are encased in conduit which is buried in sand. Most new lines are also marked by a metallic tape about a foot below the surface(best case). Always watch the walls of your trench for the tell tale disturbance lines of a previous dug trench. I would suggest you use the Call Before You Dig guys' marking service (that you had done) as a starting point. Also if at all possible have someone act as a second set of eyes while your running the machine. There only job while the machine is running should be to watch the bucket.

jervin38
04-09-2007, 12:09 AM
This was the electric line runing right off the transformer. The markout we had done was about 8 inches off. We had to run a new water line for this job and I think the electric line was about 36"-38" deep.

Dirt Digger2
04-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Be very careful, everywhere is different. Here the old electric services are direct buried in sand, the new ones are encased in conduit which is buried in sand. .

geeze i'de hate to see the bill on new lines being encased in conduit yet alone have to be the guy who has to pull all those wires through it

gobbles2700
04-09-2007, 12:25 AM
The last one I was involved with just over 3000' and required 3 transfomers. the total job was around $35,000 not including the excavator & operator for the trenching. The conduit alone was right around $10,000. Pulling the cable is easy, you take fishing line and tie it to a plastic grocery bag all balled up, place it at one end and hook shop vac to the other end about a minute later you have your snake to pull an intermediary rope through 1000' of conduit. Then the electric company pulls the cable through with the rope.

yardmanlee
04-09-2007, 07:37 AM
this is a new line that was run no more than 6 months ago and I called miss utility to mark all underground lines, there was only 2 electric and phone that I will have to cross. Im hoping that the electrical will be incased in some conduit for safety sake I will let ya know this evening what I find. thanks for the replys guys !!!

Dirt Digger2
04-09-2007, 08:35 AM
you want it not run in conduit and heres why...conduit and screening are placed there to protect the wire...most places (besides CT) run one or the other. If you are crossing lines with screeenings it is much easier to locate because you have some type of warning that you are getting close, with conduit its dirt the bang...you've hit the wires. Conduit will help a little but depending on what your digging with it will break without you even knowing it.

yardmanlee
04-10-2007, 06:55 AM
well I only had to go 12 to 15 inches to get proper drainage so I didnt run into either the electric or the phone .
thanks for the replys, it dosent hurt to be very informed on this topic !!!

Grassmechanic
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I was on a site where 13-2 was direct buried. In some spots it was only 18 inches deep. You just never know.

DiyDave
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
If you ever hit a buried line, be sure to keep a few cans of marking paint handy, that way you can mark the job to make it look like the locater co messed up, and save on those repair bills!:cool2:

yardmanlee
04-10-2007, 10:32 PM
If you ever hit a buried line, be sure to keep a few cans of marking paint handy, that way you can mark the job to make it look like the locater co messed up, and save on those repair bills!:cool2:

that is soooo wrong !!!! but a good tip !!!

Dirt Digger2
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

HAHAHAHA i like that reasoning...we hit an unmarked line this summer..the only people that marked their lines were the cable company..the PECO rep came out and asked why we were diggin so close to the markings...the nearest marking was 6feet away!! and it was a cable marking at that...some of these locate companies absolutely stink..including the one down here in SE PA