PDA

View Full Version : when to call?

JLIND2100
04-08-2007, 10:57 PM
this is probably a stupid question but I'm still new to this industry, still in school. hopefully being done with school next year. but lets get to the point when do most of you decide to call to get your local utilizes to come out and mark there lines, what type of jobs? how much soil are you planning on moving or disturbing.? any input would be great.

Mike33
04-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I learned the hard way. I never paid a fine or for repair but have been very embarassed. If you dig long enough you will hit something. In Md. miss utility free service handles it with in 2-3 days. At this time i WILL not go below a few iches under sod with out calling first. If you think you have the utilities figured out it will bite you in the ass. Never ass - u - me schedule your dig, Now more in my area they bore a lot some things out there you couldnt carry enough insurance. My opinion you make the descision.
Mike

JLIND2100
04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
i have a up coming job were i will be taking out some grass, putting down weed block, landscape staples, and putting in some landscape edging, i wont be going any deeper then 4 to 5 inches tops. so my question is should i call to get my local utility lines located before i start the work?

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-09-2007, 09:46 AM
You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how shallow some of the lines are. I hit a cable line raking the mulch in a flower bed two weeks ago. I've also hit the gas line as my in-laws that was 4 inches in the ground (thankfully not a customer). As far as I know most states have a free service that should come out in a few days to mark things for you. You should take advantage rather than have an embarassing moment in front of a customer.

Tahoe1889
04-09-2007, 11:30 AM
for PA From http://www.uwchlan.com/call-1st.htm

Digging and the Utilities

Before starting any work that requires digging, remember to call the
Pennsylvania One Call System at 1-800-242-1776 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
You must give at least three days notice before beginning your project. They will notify the phone company, cable company, water, electric etc. to mark the lines. Note that phone and cable lines are often within 6 inches of the surface. Power digging equipment should not be used within 24 inches on either side of the markings.

And NJ From http://www.nj1-call.org/

1-800-272-1000

Mike33
04-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Did you read my reply to your thread? If you did i would start the job and take a chance of digging up the lines than call. :hammerhead: But if you didnt read it i would call first.
Mike

Focal Point Landscapes
04-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Things I have hit so far within 6 inches of the surface - cable almost without fail ,phone lines with some regularity , dog wire frequently ,outdoor lighting (both ac and dc), half inch gas lines , DIY water lines - you get the picture , I hope. I don't like to wait on Locate and the bright , colorful lawn and pavement striping , but I rarely will disturb the ground without calling - it makes life a lot simpler in the long run. Obviously the utility markers won't find all this stuff and you need to keep repair parts because some of these are unavoidable - I once cut a client's outdoor 110 volt wiring 6 times -it had been installed within an inch of the surface in both front and back yards .

PatriotLandscape
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
first off always call if you can shedule the work that far out. It is usually a free service so why not. The cable lines here are regularly 2-3 inches below grade on one job we broke a line from driving a bobcat over an area we weren't even digging in.