PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy in a Jasmine Bed

Duekster
04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Anybody have any tricks here?

I hate vines of all kinds actually they seem very tough.

Someone at a chemical house told me gylphosate at 50% application rate.

RigglePLC
04-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Very difficult situation. I had a client with poison ivy in her myrtle ground cover and growing 30 feet high on her trees. I cut the vines on the trees with a little saw and purning shears.
For the small poison ivy I used some barbecue tongs. Using rubber bands I attached small sponges to the jaws of the tongs. I then sprayed the sponges with an almost full strenth solution of triclopyr. I then used the tongs to grab individual poison ivy plants and wipe the solution along the length of the stem. I paid particular attention to the upper inch, as that is where the main growing takes place and the most susceptible area. I tried to do this in spring when the poison ivy was just leafing out--when it would be most susceptible, i hoped. It worked fairly well--but time-consuming--and the customer got tired of paying extra after two treatments.
But may I suggest a hand sprayer with weed killer at low pressure. Just shoot the individual poison ivy plants very carefully. Repeat in two weeks. In your left hand, you might use a small plastic snow shovel with a notch cut in it to act as a shield to protect the jasamine. Slight injury would probably be acceptable. Perhaps there is a time of year when the jasimine would be less susceptible and the ivy more so. You do own a snow shovel--right?

xpnd
04-09-2007, 09:02 AM
You might want to try a 1% solution of RoundUp. Supposedly Jasmine is pretty tough and can tolerate this. I would lightly spray an out of a way area as a test to see how the Jasmine reacts. Since Poison Ivy is a perennial, you may find that several repeats may be necessary

RAlmaroad
04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Duekster: Here's a little trick: Get you a piece of 1/2 PVC and elbow coupling and small funnel that will fit into the elbow fitting from Lowes. Put it together with funnel into elbow fitting, fitting to 1/2 PVC--No need to glue. Find the root where it starts into the earth and pour a little pure Round-up on it. I don't like Round-up and prefer a stuff called "Crossbow". Only put about an ounce on a 1/4" diameter vine--more on bigger stuff. This will let you get in close to the source in plant beds without spraying the whole bed. I've don't this on yellow jacket and poison oak as well.

Grassmechanic
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
You might want to try a 1% solution of RoundUp. Supposedly Jasmine is pretty tough and can tolerate this. I would lightly spray an out of a way area as a test to see how the Jasmine reacts. Since Poison Ivy is a perennial, you may find that several repeats may be necessary

P.I. will laugh at 1%. I used to spray it with a 5% solution and that barely wilted it. Now,I use R-up at 30%, along with some three-way and wick apply it,:cool2: