PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen Magnum Transmission

mlc
04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
I have a Permagreen Magnum - 2005 model - which I purchased used in the middle of last season. The unit wasn't maintained very well even though it wasn't all that old. I recently removed the drive wheels to find the transmission sevely coroded. I piece of the transmission actually corroded to the point where it fell off around where the axle enters the housing. The end bearing is exposed on one side now. The shifting shaft is also very loose. It looks like Permagreen has revised the shifting linkage on the brand new units.

Has anyone changed out the transmission in these units? Do you purchase the Peerless transmission through Permagreen or are there an aftermarket source? Just trying to get a few ideas. As for the cost, I expect that it is over $500? Thanks for the replies. I hope everyone has a profitable year ahead as soon as the weather starts to warm up.

Grandview
04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
A new tranny is around 750.00.

indyturf
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I had to replace my transmission this winter, it froze up after setting a few months. the new ones have grease fittings that should make them last longer.

1turfguy
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
its amazing what clean water-or the lack of can do..
i do hit everything w/ wd-40 all the time on mine. the new linkage design is better than the 2005 version

thomsoutdoor
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow $750 bucks for a transmission. A Peerless transmission, I think, is a fairly standard transmission. I used to replace those all the time on the old toro walk behinds for under $200 at lesco. I guess I better take better care of the one I have.

indyturf
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't know if better maintenance would have helped the earlier model transmission on the Magnum or not? I washed mine everyday, but with no grease fittings its just didn't have a chance.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
guess we pay for r&d again

philk17088
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
THe trans axle in my Ultra started grinding today.
Sounds like there is gracel in it. It vibrates right thru the handle bars.
I called Pat but he was gone for the day but Iordered a new one anyway. Ican't afford to be with out the machine. Ifigure I'll keep running it until it pukes and then replace it.

Jason Rose
04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Holy cow... I'm glad my Magnum is NEW with the grease zerks on the transmission!

Iv'e seen MANY pics of the older models of permagreens on here and other forums. It looks like the new magnums are light years ahead of where they were 5 or 6 years ago! Iv'e looked mine over VERY closely, plus I'm trying my best to keep it CLEAN. I've only had mine for a month, and one round of fert. Iv'e made some "attempts" at spraying with it, but I'm NOT impressed with the results at all...

philk17088
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
My PG is like Christine. After the new tranny was ordered, it stopped acting up.
Now Ihave $500 transaxle on the way that maybe I really don't need.
Man! And my goal this year was to cut repairs in half.

mlc
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
I just got off the phone with Pat at Permagreen and ordered a new upgraded transmission. The new unit will have grease fittings and the new shifting linkage. I'll be sure to do a better job cleaning this one. He recommended to coat the transmission with pick up truck bed liner coating before installing it. I told him that I thought, and he agreed, that the plastic liner holds a lot of fert and moisture against the transmission causing some of the corrosion. Even though I bought this unit used and thought I got a good deal on it, I think I would have been money ahead buying a new unit. Fertilizer sure does corrode stuff quickly! Thanks for your replys.