PDA

View Full Version : Input on these mowers

gravtyklz
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
These are the best Deals I can find near here in terms of low cost. Are any of them worth it for just trying to get a start?

Mower 1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/48-ENCORE-WALKBEHIND-MOWER-12-5-KAWASKI_W0QQitemZ320101727244QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mower 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Bobcat-with-new-Honda-Motor_W0QQitemZ320101729835QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mower 3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Scagg-12-5-HP-Kawaski-with-Velkie-and-Catcher_W0QQitemZ320101732635QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Mower 4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Scagg-New-14h-HP-Kawaski-and-Catcher_W0QQitemZ320101734270QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

grasshoppers lawncare
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I would say try one of the scag's. Scag is a good piece of equipment. They look alittle worn out but just for starting out they might be ok.

Jake's Lawn Service
04-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I would say try one of the scag's. Scag is a good piece of equipment. They look alittle worn out but just for starting out they might be ok.

I agree
Jake

gravtyklz
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Whats the most I should pay for either of them? Are the Buy Out prices still good deals?

Prestige-Lawncare
04-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Understanding finances, and the availability of funds ... I can appreciate buying used equipment. With that said ... these mowers look a little "to used" for me. Unless you are pretty much mechanically inclined, I would pass on all of these. A $100. commercial mower is just that ... a $100. commercial mower. A new set of blades will cost you almost half that.

It's kind of like the egg and the chicken mentality. You really need the equipment to do good, professional work, but you need the money for the equipment.

If you can look around for something in better shape, and newer ... and you can afford it, I think you would be better off. Just think if you get a mower like the ones you are looking at ... get you some good accounts ... and then the mower pukes on you! You'll have to come up with another mower right away to keep servicing your accounts. If not ... you''l be right back to square one.

Just my opinion ...

razor1
04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
They're all being sold by the same person. Why not go and look them over, if you're not to far away.
Although I must agree with Prestige, they all look kinda worn out.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I also have to agree those look pretty worn out.

paul vroom
04-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Four boat anchors for sale. The first one did not have a gas cover. It would be hard to find one for that machine. I would keep looking. Try your local dealer, they might have 0% financing and no payments for a year kinda thing. Did you try craigs list? Look around, I would hate to see you buy on of those unless it was for parts. Good luck.

lawnpro724
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
depending on how many hours they have and the condition of blades, belts, spindles and so on I would go check them out in person. I'm not sure from the looks of them if they will hold up to day to day commercial mowing but if your just starting out and doing residential they might work. Look them over good and if everything is ok see how cheap you can get one but remember mowers that old are going to need plenty of repairs.

paul vroom
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
My bad, it does have a cover.

I just checked craigslist in your area, poke around you might find something.

Heres one, I dont think he will get a grand for....http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/307870062.html

gravtyklz
04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
thanks for the info

I guess I wanted to go in as low cost as possible incase things didnt go as smoothly as planned.

I was hoping for something low cost enough that it wouldnt matter so much if things went south, or liquidable enough to where it would be a very small loss.

I'de really love to do the lawn thing, but with running another business as a manager and investor I dont wanna stretch myself too far, but at the same time I've thought about doing this for the last 6 years....

So in that case....I buy a new machine....2 months later I realize i made a bad decision...how hard is it to get rid of?

As far as new mowers......do most of you start out with a 48" WB or smaller?

paul vroom
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I agree with some of what you said, I am a manager in a desktop publishing dept. But I have always wanted to do this so I am going for it. I shopped for deals, I paid $4.000 for a truck I know I can resell for 7 or 8. I got a good deal on my trailer. Most of my equipment is new and resell-able but I don't plan on it. If you go into this with lousy equipment, lets say one of those mowers you were looking at and it breaks down....are you going to quit? If your in and out that easy then buy one of those and junk it in two months. All mowers break down! If you want to make it in this business then spend a little to make a lot. I have invested $12.000 and I don't plan on looking at this being a good or bad idea for at least two years from now. How many business can you start with only a few grand that has such great potential for return. As far as reselling your equipment, I don't think you will have any problems. Look at how many people or on this site alone. Your last post sounds like you need some tough love, SERIOUSLY . Think about this before you start it, It seems like you want it to just happen for you. If I am wrong then make a biz plan and decide what it will take to get started. You are in pretty much the same situation I am in so you can afford to invest if you really want it. People on this site scramble to get just a decent weed wacker and they are making a go of it. What do you want to do?

gravtyklz
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Well I think you're correct in what you've said actually. I'm not completely sold out on this yet. And paying $100 for something I'm not willing to do when it all comes down to it isnt even worth it.

I manage an electrical contracting business, and quality of tools and equipment definitely applies there as well. Theres cheap stuff to be bought, but its a temporary use for sure. I guess the same thing applies everywhere.

I'de like to establish a start up cost I guess and go from there. But at this point i'm blind to whats worth the price and whats way over priced.

Our Electrical Business started out in a 1988 Ford Festiva :dizzy:
Believe it or not we out grew that eventually.....still have it though!

SLR
04-10-2007, 04:03 AM
That Bobcat mower looks like a down right scary purchase..why do not these sellers paint their junk before putting it on ebay?

grasshoppers lawncare
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Understanding finances, and the availability of funds ... I can appreciate buying used equipment. With that said ... these mowers look a little "to used" for me. Unless you are pretty much mechanically inclined, I would pass on all of these. A $100. commercial mower is just that ... a $100. commercial mower. A new set of blades will cost you almost half that.

It's kind of like the egg and the chicken mentality. You really need the equipment to do good, professional work, but you need the money for the equipment.

If you can look around for something in better shape, and newer ... and you can afford it, I think you would be better off. Just think if you get a mower like the ones you are looking at ... get you some good accounts ... and then the mower pukes on you! You'll have to come up with another mower right away to keep servicing your accounts. If not ... you''l be right back to square one.

Just my opinion ...

I agree with what prestige said. But if you buy one of these mowers for a $100 bucks to test the market, and say you get 3 or 4 accounts a week,depending on the condition of the mowers once you see them in person maybe one of these mowers could hold up to 3 or 4 accounts a week. Then once the work starts to come in you could look into dealer financing for new equipment. This is what I would do given your position. JMO.