PDA

View Full Version : No Spark – Kawasaki FC420V

atlien928
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I pulled my Exmark out of the shed last weekend to start it for the first time since last year, and was met with no spark.

I’ve already done the following:
Replaced:
spark plug
coil and adjusted the coil properly.
I cleaned the flywheel
Replaced the Igniter with one from another engine that works
I disconnected the white wire from the coil to eliminate all the kill switches
I engaged the safety bar down to make sure its not a safety switch grounding the spark

After all that still no spark.

Any ideas anyone???? I’ve ran out of ideas….

Thanks!

Restrorob
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM
How are you testing for spark ?

Could be a new defective coil, I have seen that a couple times.

What did you set the coil air gap at ?

atlien928
04-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for responding!

I'm testing the spark by touching the metal side of the spark plug against the engine block, and having someone else pull the ripcord.
As for the coil's air gap, it's set at .010

how can i test if the coil is good or bad? they're $45 each, and not returnable.

Restrorob
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Make sure your getting a good ground on the plug with the paint on the head.

Test procedure below;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FC540IgnitionTest.jpg?t=1176151760

atlien928
04-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I finally got it working about 30 min ago. After reading another post somewhere i disconnected the red wire from the igniter, but left the white wire connected. The spark returned!!
Working backwards from there i discovered it was the gear box's safety switch all along. I was mislead to believe that by disconnecting the white wire from the coil would eliminate the safety switches. it might have, but also eliminated the igniter, which also caused it not to work. After hours of frustration and $45 I've learn everything about that engine's ignition system, and just need to replace the gear box switch.
I've also learned that by having someone hold down the safety bar doesn't help start the machine if there's a bad safety switch. It's more complex than it seems to be.

Thanks!