PDA

View Full Version : Help with bidding a commercial site

wmackleit
04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I am not sure if this appropriate to ask or not....but my husband and I have been mowing for 5 years and we have 40 lawns, last year we picked up a few commercial properties but they are pretty small.
Now the property manager wants us to look a job that is alot bigger than we have ever done. We are trying to figure out how to even bid this job. If anyone can help I can email you the site plan that she sent me.

Thanks

NELawnCare
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I am not sure if this appropriate to ask or not....but my husband and I have been mowing for 5 years and we have 40 lawns, last year we picked up a few commercial properties but they are pretty small.
Now the property manager wants us to look a job that is alot bigger than we have ever done. We are trying to figure out how to even bid this job. If anyone can help I can email you the site plan that she sent me.

Thanks

Commercial accounts should give you a "Statement of Work (SOW)". This is a document describing the services they want done and how they want the work to be accomplished. Commercial properties should have a SOW readily available. That's normally how they solicit bids. If they didn't provide you with a SOW, you should request one. I don't work without one. It serves two purposes. It allows you to break down each task and assign a price, but more importantly, it gives you something you can use in the contract or agreement language to describe what services you're going to provide and what they are going to pay for each specific service. Normally, I break the SOW down and construct a line item on the invoice for each work item described in the SOW. Then tally it up at the end and add tax.