PDA

View Full Version : oil filter options for 19hp kawi....FRAM

instyle
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I have to get a new oil filter for my JD 19hp kawisaki. Do I have to goto JD or does Fram make the exact same one for some car?

Jake's Lawn Service
04-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I got a 19 kaw on my exmark and after using napa i am now using fram
Jake

pugs
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
You can get the filter from any kawasaki engine dealer.

49065-2078

Lynden-Jeff
04-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I use kohler at the moment because Kawasaki are hard to get but they are the same price lol. I didn't know frame made a compatible one.

Cheers
Jeff

Bill Kapaun
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Baldwin JD AC MotorCraft Fram
2.98" 51394 L14476 LF410 B33 AM107423 PF1233 FL836 PH4967
3.4" 51396 L14477 LF413 B37 NA NA NA PH4386

Lynden-Jeff
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Does using a fram oil filter instead of kawi blow your warranty? Also how do the frams compare to kawi's?

Cheers
Jeff

Bill Kapaun
04-09-2007, 10:57 PM
The FRAM won't blow the warranty as long as you use the filter FRAM recommends. Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act covers those issues.

The one caveat about filters and warranty is using a filter that the Manf. doesn't recommend-
Example: MotorCraft filters tend to be very good. However, MC doesn't list any of their filters for L&G use. I doubt they would honor any warranty claims because you used their filter.
IOW, if you have warranty qualms, make sure the filter you use is listed in the application catalog from that manf.

Lynden-Jeff
04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Ok Thanks. What is the difference in lengths? Is one specifically for the 19 hp kawi? I know when I buy oil filters its one size fits all of my motors 13, 15 and 19. Is it the same way with frame?

Cheers
Jeff

Bill Kapaun
04-09-2007, 11:17 PM
The longer filter is for those that want a bit more capacity IF they have room for it. It's not a std. Kaw item.

DJL50
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I am in no way an expert on the subject but have done a lot of reading on the web on oil and filters. Frams are considered to be the lowest quality filter you can buy. They are so popular because of all the advertising they do. NAPA is considered to be a good option. I myself always buy my filters at the dealer. #1 Just in case there is any question on warranty issues. Yes! They, cost more but it still only $6. I paid over $6,000.00 for my mower. $3 extra well spent if ever a question. I own a Toro but my dealer stocks JD brand filters because they cost less than the Kawasaki brand.

ed2150
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
NAPA and CarQuest filters are made by WIX. I ran Fram filters on my 19hp Kawi for about a year with no problems but after reading all the negative comments both here and on other sites about Fram quality I switched to WIX filters. I usually buy them in either Carquest or NAPA brand since I have no independent WIX dealer nearby.

Most Kawi dealers sell the 2078 filter for well over $10 each and they're less than half that at the auto parts places in WIX/NAPA/Carquest brand.

My local Deere dealer sells the John Deere branded filter for their Kawi engines for about half what the Kawi 2078 sells for at Kawi dealers, go figure.

Bill Kapaun
04-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I am in no way an expert on the subject but have done a lot of reading on the web on oil and filters. Frams are considered to be the lowest quality filter you can buy. They are so popular because of all the advertising they do. NAPA is considered to be a good option. I myself always buy my filters at the dealer. #1 Just in case there is any question on warranty issues. Yes! They, cost more but it still only $6. I paid over $6,000.00 for my mower. $3 extra well spent if ever a question. I own a Toro but my dealer stocks JD brand filters because they cost less than the Kawasaki brand.

Guess you'll be surprised when you discover who makes your JD filter!

LCPullman
04-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I use Kawasaki Filters on my Kawasaki engines. Don't use the orange Fram filters. The TG (gray) filters are ok. For my vehicles I get NAPA filters once a year on their annual filter sale. NAPA (WIX) filters are good filters.

Lynden-Jeff
04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
NAPA and CarQuest filters are made by WIX. I ran Fram filters on my 19hp Kawi for about a year with no problems but after reading all the negative comments both here and on other sites about Fram quality I switched to WIX filters. I usually buy them in either Carquest or NAPA brand since I have no independent WIX dealer nearby.

Most Kawi dealers sell the 2078 filter for well over $10 each and they're less than half that at the auto parts places in WIX/NAPA/Carquest brand.

My local Deere dealer sells the John Deere branded filter for their Kawi engines for about half what the Kawi 2078 sells for at Kawi dealers, go figure.

Hey,

Do you know the part number for the napa/carquest filters that fit the kawi?

Cheers
Jeff

Bill Kapaun
04-11-2007, 03:55 AM
"Do you know the part number for the napa/carquest filters that fit the kawi?"

NAPA Gold use the last 4 digits of the WIX#.
CarQuest Premium will be 85 + last 3 digits of Wix#

lawnspecialties
04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
What about JThomas oil filters for Kawasaki's? They sure are cheap if you buy several at a time.:)

wall
04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Get your filter from the Kawasaki motorcycle dealer it is the same as what is used on the Kawasaki Mule. 49065-2078

Lynden-Jeff
04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh boy have I seen the light. I went to car quest and they had the one that you mentioned Bill. Now they have 2 grades. One for $3.50 and one for $7.00. I asked the guys their what the difference was and they said the writing on the box. Can some one elaborate?

Cheers
Jeff

deere-man
04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
put a wix on on it theyre 2 to 1 better filter.

Bill Kapaun
04-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Oh boy have I seen the light. I went to car quest and they had the one that you mentioned Bill. Now they have 2 grades. One for $3.50 and one for $7.00. I asked the guys their what the difference was and they said the writing on the box. Can some one elaborate?

Cheers
Jeff

The Blue (premium) filter is the Regular Wix as is the NAPA Gold.
It has a silicone rubber Anti Drain Back Valve and a little more/better media.
The Red (also NAPA Silver) is also made by Wix, but has the less desirable nitrile rubber ADBV and less/lower grade media.
The cheaper filter isn't a "bad" filter. It's just that the other is a better filter.

The nitrile rubber tends to get hard over time/oil exposure and possibly not seal as well. I think it also is less pliable when very cold.
IF I only changed my filter once per year, I think the silicone is probably a much better idea.
There really aren't that many "bad" filters. It's just that there are a lot of "better" filters.
Even the Wal Mart ST filters are quite good. They are made by Champion which makes a lot of different branded filters of a wide quality range. Some AC, Mobil 1, STP, ST MotorCraft ( I think, but maybe Puro) and a bunch of others. Not all of the just mentioned filters are made by Champion however. AC has at least 3 different suppliers and Mobil 1 has at least 2.
There's probably about a 90% chance your filter is made by Wix, Purolator, Champion or FRAM. If I got a couple mixed up, don't yell! It's hard to keep track of all of them AND some brands may change manfs. from time to time.

A better source of info is at this link-
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6

Lynden-Jeff
04-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey,

When you say red and blue. Mine is white with red writing. I take that as red? I change often so it shoulden't be a big deal, and for $3.50 I will do the filter every time.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
04-15-2007, 12:47 AM
The Blue (premium) filter is the Regular Wix as is the NAPA Gold.
It has a silicone rubber Anti Drain Back Valve and a little more/better media.
The Red (also NAPA Silver) is also made by Wix, but has the less desirable nitrile rubber ADBV and less/lower grade media.
The cheaper filter isn't a "bad" filter. It's just that the other is a better filter.

The nitrile rubber tends to get hard over time/oil exposure and possibly not seal as well. I think it also is less pliable when very cold.
IF I only changed my filter once per year, I think the silicone is probably a much better idea.
There really aren't that many "bad" filters. It's just that there are a lot of "better" filters.
Even the Wal Mart ST filters are quite good. They are made by Champion which makes a lot of different branded filters of a wide quality range. Some AC, Mobil 1, STP, ST MotorCraft ( I think, but maybe Puro) and a bunch of others. Not all of the just mentioned filters are made by Champion however. AC has at least 3 different suppliers and Mobil 1 has at least 2.
There's probably about a 90% chance your filter is made by Wix, Purolator, Champion or FRAM. If I got a couple mixed up, don't yell! It's hard to keep track of all of them AND some brands may change manfs. from time to time.

A better source of info is at this link-
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6

Hey,

Reading some online reviews I found that the NAPA silver is either not made by wix or much differen't then the GOLD (one site said it was made in the UK vs the US for the gold. Would this be the same for the caquest filters?

Cheers
Jeff

Bill Kapaun
04-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Best bet is to open the box and read country of origin on the filter itself (you don't care where the box was made:)).
Like I say, it's hard to keep track of all the possibilities. There are "name brand" filters coming in from Malaysia, Thailand, Europe etc.
Also, what was true last month may be different this month.

Lynden-Jeff
04-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Best bet is to open the box and read country of origin on the filter itself (you don't care where the box was made:)).
Like I say, it's hard to keep track of all the possibilities. There are "name brand" filters coming in from Malaysia, Thailand, Europe etc.
Also, what was true last month may be different this month.

Very true and good idea lol. Thanks man

Jeff