PDA

View Full Version : What would you do about this erosion?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Question, I am not asking for advice here, just what would YOU do if a client asked you to "fix" this mess?

lawnspecialties
04-09-2007, 06:45 PM
What would I do? I'd pass.:)

richallseasons
04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I would give him a bid to terrace the banks with retaing walls, proper drainage and plantings that would sprawl and bind the soil... chances are the guy will faint when he sees the price tag or it will turn into a decent job.

PerfectEarth
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Retaining Wall!

TFmike
04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I would bid the engineers plan, let them take the liability

Uranus
04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
What would YOU do if a client asked you to "fix" this mess?

Tell them to move, or question them to why they would buy a house on a lot like that.

AGLA
04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
They are going to have a car un their bedroom some night. ... tell me there is no snow in that area, please.

Drew Gemma
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
tell them the first 50,000 is due now and each friday for the next month 50,000 will be due. I 'd laugh and realize some one has more money than brains.

Dirt Digger2
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I would bid the engineers plan, let them take the liability

the engineers plan would be one of two options, the first would be a retaining wall...the second would be to cut back the slope. The angle or repose is far too steep as i see it and nothing will stay in place there..the only way would be to cut it back to a 3:1 slope or the better alternative would be a 2:1 slope...for the last few pictures anyway...the first picture needs a retaining wall to bring the level up for a little extra safety incase a car goes over the curb

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 10:25 PM
They are going to have a car un their bedroom some night. ... tell me there is no snow in that area, please.

Oh lots of snow!
How you going to cut back into that hill with the road right above it like that?
How will a retaining wall stop the erosion?

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
What would YOU do if a client asked you to "fix" this mess?

Tell them to move, or question them to why they would buy a house on a lot like that.

They bought the property and had all that done themselves, new "dream" home....one heck of a view they have though!

Dirt Digger2
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
How will a retaining wall stop the erosion?

the small curb on the road will prevent water from washing out that area, as for behind the house the steeper the grade the more likely for the water to form channels and cause mass erosion, the gentler the grade the more the water has a tendency to flow in sheets as opposed to flowing streams.

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 10:30 PM
oooooooooooooooooh my

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 10:31 PM
---------------------------

sheshovel
04-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I would give him a bid to terrace the banks with retaing walls, proper drainage and plantings that would sprawl and bind the soil... chances are the guy will faint when he sees the price tag or it will turn into a decent job.

Tell me how you are going to terrace that bank with retaining walls? Look at it. There is a road above it, asphalt road at that.

Dirt Digger2
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
---------------------------

thats a disaster...there needs to be a lot of money put into fixing that place but they really need to do something about the water on that septic field NOW or bad things will come in the not to distant future.

Vikings
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I would tell him to grow rice.

http://english.people.com.cn/200606/06/images/xin_280603060732306171115.jpg

fishman644
04-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Looks like alot of work anyway you go with it.

AGLA
04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
These people expect a one person landscape company to fix these problems?

chunkitron3030
04-09-2007, 11:46 PM
well 2 things come to mind,

1. retaining wall with a quote of an ungodly amount of labor and costs.....

2. spray concrete all over that thing and call it a day...

or 3..... :walking: (let someone else screw with it)

TheKingNJ
04-09-2007, 11:51 PM
shockcrete sounds good to me.

bobw
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Some serious engineering needs to happen on that site. No wonder why houses wash down hills in CA when it rains if that's how they lay them out

Dirt Digger2
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
see if this works

Dirt Digger2
04-10-2007, 12:34 AM
because i have forgotten how to sleep and have to much time on my hands...heres a rough "sketch"

sheshovel
04-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Wall would have to be 20' tall by the time to got to the end. Nice sketch but in reality only a short ret wall would be feasible.

AGLA
04-10-2007, 06:49 AM
She,

You have to run away from this one. There are so many safety issues on this that have built in liability that is too risky. You have a slope that can fail and kill people in a place where people are likely to be. You have a driveway or road with no guardrail and any vehicle that goes off will amost certainly hit the house, if not people in the yard. On top of that you have another diveway coming down a hill where a vehicle must take a hard turn or go straight over the slope and straight into the house.

Even if you build a retaining wall that was structurally sound, the vehicle problem still exists.

This looks like a case where someone wants things, but does not want to do the things necessary to do them right. They paved a road before stabilizing the slope it is on, they are pouring walkways and planting before stabilizing the slope that could bury it all and are blocking access to construct anything to stbilize the slope.

They want you to put a bandaid on a severed limb.

This is about safety. This is why there is licensing for civil engineers and structural engineers. Projects like this truly have life and death consequences that these people either don't understand or are willing to ignore.

Once you start doing anything on that, you are altering it and becoming part owner of the liability of it. You might be the first person besides the people who own this to be taking part of that liability. When something happens, if they don't sue you, the insurance company will.

There is too much going on wrong here for a sensible person to want to become part of.

Superior L & L
04-10-2007, 07:48 AM
I dont know everything ......but i would do 2 retaining walls in back both at 4 high one at concrete grade and one half way up. Same with the one out front. Id put some shrubs ontop of each way and make sure the dirt on top of the walls is sloped away from the wall and you have a good plan for the water!

Dirt Digger2
04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Wall would have to be 20' tall by the time to got to the end. Nice sketch but in reality only a short ret wall would be feasible.

noo...i can't tell the height in the picture but you coud probably do a 8foot wall then cut back all of the dirt on the left side to get the bank back to a 2:1 and use that dirt to fill the right side..

what state are these pictures taken in?

Bigred350
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
We do hillsides that step all the time. A wall is out of the question... to tall and no way to support a wall that tall without paying a big price.

I think you should plant some "blue pacific junipers" about 12" to 18" apart over the entire hilside. Unless they will not grow in your area (I did not pay attention to where you live).

I would also pour a curb on the curve in the first pic. And its hard to tell from in the pics but what about some french drains. And in the meantime until the junipers spread you could put some erosion barrier every 10 feet apart or so.

sheshovel
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
She,

You have to run away from this one. There are so many safety issues on this that have built in liability that is too risky. You have a slope that can fail and kill people in a place where people are likely to be. You have a driveway or road with no guardrail and any vehicle that goes off will amost certainly hit the house, if not people in the yard. On top of that you have another diveway coming down a hill where a vehicle must take a hard turn or go straight over the slope and straight into the house.

Even if you build a retaining wall that was structurally sound, the vehicle problem still exists.

This looks like a case where someone wants things, but does not want to do the things necessary to do them right. They paved a road before stabilizing the slope it is on, they are pouring walkways and planting before stabilizing the slope that could bury it all and are blocking access to construct anything to stbilize the slope.

They want you to put a bandaid on a severed limb.

This is about safety. This is why there is licensing for civil engineers and structural engineers. Projects like this truly have life and death consequences that these people either don't understand or are willing to ignore.

Once you start doing anything on that, you are altering it and becoming part owner of the liability of it. You might be the first person besides the people who own this to be taking part of that liability. When something happens, if they don't sue you, the insurance company will.

There is too much going on wrong here for a sensible person to want to become part of.

I agree completely on all points ALGA, you are correct. I have told them that they need to concentrate on correcting those problems before doing anything else. The do not seem very concerned about what makes my hair stand on end! I am simply doing some drip irrigation for them on the other side of the house, thought I would get some opinions about their situation from you all while I was at it.

lawnguyland
04-13-2007, 05:08 PM
That is a dumb ass place for a house. I hope it slides down the hill and explodes! :hammerhead: (with no one it or at the bottom of the hill of course!)

lawnguyland
04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I can see the news now.....

...."our houses slid down the hill during the 'unexpected' landslide...where's the federal and state govt. to build our new houses..oh poor, poor us..."

Coffeecraver
04-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Hire an Engineer to develop a plan and work from the plan,let his firm do the work then step in to landscape it.

freddyc
04-14-2007, 08:53 AM
It's almost impossible to believe that someone could actually get approval to build that house there. Anyone involved in the approval of that mess should be fired and fined with the repairs.

All the comments about safety are completely right.

Remove all the soil, geogrid the heck out of it, replace the whole thing with rip rap, put in some guardrails, and build small vegetation islands in the rip rap. In addition, put in some curtain type drains at the top of the hill to at least slow it down. Below the house, re-grade the whole thing to a gentle slope and maybe add a retaining wall if desired.

But the better answer is-----RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

And I agree with the other post---gee, why did my house fall down the hill---can the government or insurance company pay for me to rebuild again??

Bull
04-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Probably the most sensible solution and most cost effective in the long run is to just jack the house up about 30' in the air. Then the view will be even better. By the way She it is good to talk to you again, it's been awhile.

PSUturf
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I think they've got the solution on the front side of the house - solar powered landscape lights every 4 feet. All of those bayonets stuck in the ground will help hold the soil in place.

sheshovel
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Heya Bull! Good to read you again too.
Actually the front of the house faces that hill. You are talking about the back.
They faced it backwards.

Bull
04-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Well I must add that your photo's of this location somewhat remind me of the movie Money Pit. Quite an interesting situation there to say the least. Beyond that I hope you are off to a great season. It has started well here but the dang weather cannot make it's mind up so we continue to fluctuate between the low 30's and the low 80's. Well I hope you have a great week.

EgansCountryGardens
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe something could be built with Techo-Blocs new monument block. You know the big ones that have to be set with a machine. I know it's not the best looking answer, but it's better than what's there now. I don't know how possible it is to access the areas with a machine. But it's just another idea. Or like everyone else is saying - Run for the hills! (or away from them in this case) Good luck.

Wyboo
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
How about planting kudzu.

sheshovel
04-17-2007, 03:00 AM
How about planting kudzu.

Who are you? Ya think yer funny huh?

Wyboo
04-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Yea it was just a joke. Here in South Carolina that stuff is every where. It will stop the erosion though.

sheshovel
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes and take over and kill all the native vegetation around it. It is everywhere because it is an extremely invasive plant that is not native to the U.S. That plant is causing huge problems everywhere it is growing.