PDA

View Full Version : Dozer work per hour?

Bunton Guy
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
This one is out of my league. I just bought a new house with 3 acres behind it that is wooded. Im looking to find someone to doze about a half acre or so in my back yard. Mainly looking to have the light trees knocked down and leave the big ones. Any trees less than 6" across must go anything larger I want to keep for shade.

Anyone know the going rate per hour for someone to do dozer work? I would rent a skid steer but not sure that would do the job.

Just trying to get my figures right so nobody tries taking advantage of me when I call around.

If anyone is interested and local to me your more than welcome to come do this for me(rather give my project to someone on this site if they are close enough to do the job)

I live in Stanfield NC just outside of charlotte by about 10-15miles. 3 miles off Albermarle road between locust & midland

dozerman21
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
It really depends on how big of a dozer that is used. A lot of guys, including myself, bid mostly by the job. Hourly wages vary in different parts. A "finish" dozer, which can range anywhere from 14,000lbs. to 21,000lbs. will run you anywhere from $75/hr.to $150/hr, plus travel time. Most guys are somewhere in the middle, but there are always the low-ballers who work for coins and end up out of business in a couple of years.:nono: I'd go with someone in your area with a good reputation, even if it costs more up front. You'll probably save more in the end anyway.

janb
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
$85/hr + $85 move-in was what I was quoted last week for a 650 Case w/6way ~ 22,000#

This guy is a real artist and quick, I insist on him (owner) as operator, rather than his help, but let him very VERY flexible with his scheduled time, so he can fit it in while his crew is occupied elsewhere. And he likes to get time on his machines. He is worth the wait, as over 40 yrs in our climate / terrain he can think of lots of things to save future grief.

He's bringing in his D8 with stump splitter for my 5' Dia stump problems at the 'Boulder-field' project.

$500 move in + $500 minimum (he said he can do ~ 20 stumps and 1 acre of boulder grading for that)

His NEW 160 Kobelco trackhoe is $135/hr + $135 move-in.

RockSet N' Grade
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Dozerman...a couple years to go under? Sheesh, some of the lowballers that were knocking us hard last year didn't even make it through one winter up here.... the reason I know is that they are calling me now to go to work for me or they are calling me and asking my hoe rates and how I "made it" last year while they didn't......These are the same guys that would tell the homeowner to have me bid the job, then call them and they would do the work for less than I bid it for. Needless to say, I got a short fuse for those guys...sorry to hijack.........

dozerman21
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
janb- When you talk to the dozer operator that you're using, would you mind asking him how he likes his Case 650, if it's a K-Series? If it weighs that much it should be, plus it should have a cab and an attachment on back. 650K's start at 18,000lbs. That might be my next dozer, and I'm always interested in feedback from owners.

RockSet N' Grade- I couldn't agree more about having a short fuse for lowballers.:angry: The guys who buy new, and don't have the work and try to lowball go under quick because they can't swing the payment every month. The biggest problem that we run into is the from the guys who have scrap iron on cleats that barely runs, going around bidding jobs for $55-$60 per hour. I won't even consider that, but it brings down the prices for everyone else. They will try to give the lowest price around so they can stay busy, but when you do that, all it does is dillute the market and they'll work forever breaking even.:hammerhead:

dcondon
04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
We had a D8 come in last year had he charged $85 an hour.

Scag48
04-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Don't know how you could even put fuel in a D8 for $85 an hour.

janb
04-10-2007, 03:19 AM
janb- When you talk to the dozer operator that you're using, would you mind asking him how he likes his Case 650, if it's a K-Series? If it weighs that much it should be, plus it should have a cab and an attachment on back. 650K's start at 18,000lbs. That might be my next dozer, and I'm always interested in feedback from owners.

This is his second 650, He likes them, and his son has one too, in a rental fleet. not sure if it is a K, It does have a HD set of rippers on the rear. Not positive on the total weight. The rental one is speced at 22,000 but comes with a brush rake and rippers. (and probably an inflated an weight rating)

I rented it from him on our last 'homeschool spec house' ~ 5 yrs ago. I really liked it, and felt it to be quite productive...Love that steering. Was suprised that it could not budge some of my stumps. I eventually dug them out with my 350 trackloader, and they were bigger than the machine (that took awhile...,they were on a hillside, so I could excavate under and around them)

dozerman21
04-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Don't know how you could even put fuel in a D8 for $85 an hour.

Yep. $85 for a D8 is insane, even if it's an older one.

janb- If it's a hystat, it's the K-series. I'm sure it is since they replaced the H's back around '03. They're really a sharp looking machine, but the weight is actually heavier than I'd prefer, since I work in a lot of tight areas on top of water, gas, septic, and power trenches. Then there's also basement overdigs. I'm afraid it might not be as quick and agile as my 550. It would be great in open areas, though. They do have good power. If you add cab and rippers, it's probably going to be around 21,000lbs. Those dual cylinder rippers are sweet! They are made be Heil. I like the way they lift high so they won't drag when you're climbing.

Those stumps are tricky with a dozer. Even small ones don't push out easily, you have to dig around them first. If you can cut the roots that helps too.

jd270
04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
a buddy of mine was charging 100 for his d7 and 110 for his d8 but that was a year ago but they have just been sitting in his shop while he is in arizona with his 345 track hoe decomisioning a copper mine

tallrick
04-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I would never use a dozer for removing trees (especially pines) unless I wanted them all out. Here in Florida the roots are shallow, and a dozer pushing trees would plow up the other roots and disturb the limestone, turning the soil alkaline and killing many roots. Using an excavator is a better option, if you can get one on site, A while back I had the job of clearing non-native trees from a lot nearby, while another lot was cleared by a small dozer. The dozer cleared lot lost more trees in the following year but the lot I cleared did not lose any. All I had was a chain saw, little RC-30 and a wood chipper for a 1 acre lot. I cut down brazillian pepper, australian pine and pulled over trees up to 12 inches thick, they are weak rooted. We used a dozer for the rock fill for the driveway and home at a later time. The lot was left natural and I used the cleared material for mulch. Doze the lot and by the next year there are more weeds than ever.

WOW I wish I could have found a dozer for 85.00 an hour! There were a lot of jobs that required clearing lots full of weeds and dirt roads needing levelling. It takes forever to fix a dirt road with a skid steer!

Fieldman12
04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
We have paid over a $100.00 an hour around here for just a small dozer plus what ever they charge to bring it out. I'm wanting to say it is around $300.00 to come out. My dad was telling me when he had a house built in 76 just to get them to sit a backhoe on your property was $150.00. It's worth more to get someone in that knows what they are doing. You can mess something up real quick with a dozer if your not careful. I started out on an old D4 that was worn out. I have learned allot about how to run one but I still have allot to learn. You will find also that the newer the machine the better of a job you will get. I'm saying something in the last 10 years. I love running a dozer. There is an art to it. You look at allot of pictures and it shows them pushing a big pile. The key is to take smaller bites that you can handle and work your way down. You got to be careful though not to pack the ground.

Fieldman12
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Not saying you will get a bad job from an older machine such as in the eighties but the newer ones sure are allot nicer to run. It takes big bucks to keep one going. They can break you quick from what I have learned. Like the old saying ( you smile the first day the dozer shows up you bought and the day it leaves) guess I'm to dumb because I want one to keep. :)

Dozer_Fan
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
God I am jealous! I only get $110/hr for a NEW 190HP Cat D6R XW III here in East Texas!!! Wish I could charge these rates! Heck I get $140 for a 240HP Cat D7R II. Guess alot depends on where you live..round here I have people cuttin' my throat even at those rates. Course we have a 8 hour minimum. On the smaller side, we charge $80/hr for a John Deere 700J.
For your job, I would recommend going with a skid-steer mounted mulcher/shredder;
1. It excels at <8" material (our cat 248B w/a magnum cutter clears 10acres/day avg.
2. It will not disturb the ground; low impact to adjacent trees
3. It leaves behind a nice mulch which helps retain ground moisture
4. NO PILES TO BURN/BURY

Our rate on a 248B w/Cutter is $95/hr.
Hope this helps! :)