PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Area Of Lawn?

DSLND
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys!

I just got a call from a client asking for me to give him an estimate on rototilling an area of his lawn and then seeding it. I have access to a garden tractor with a tiller so that is not a problem. But the main problem is that i have never seeded an area of this size. I have done little areas on the side of my driveway from plowing up the turf but nothing major. What i did there was brought in topsoil, raked, put seed on top, then gently raked again. Would the same method work in an area of say 500sq ft? What do you guys suggest? Thanks! -Mitch-

Adam's Lawn and Garden
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
would seem to be, just make sure you roto till. Then throw straw or something down on top, and give the dirt some room for settling ground.

adam

PerfectEarth
04-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Is the soil decent, not compacted?? I would say screw the tiller/tractor option (50 sq. ft is NOT that big). Get a powerseeder, scarify it heavily while empty, rake and grade, seed, lightly rake. 18-24-24. Less mess, less time, probably the same results.

DSLND
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Soil is somewhat fertile, it was overgrown brush just last year so i will be tilling it definetly. Then from what i know i think i will seed, then put straw over. Any other ideas? Thanks! -Mitch-

DiyDave
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Overgrown with brush??? Be prepared to run into all sorts of roots. Plan for at least 3x the amount of time to till up. If you feel guilty about overcharging, give the customer a little back, if you don't hose yourself on the bid.:hammerhead:

Focal Point Landscapes
04-11-2007, 01:53 AM
After seeding , take a spring leaf rake , turned backwards and holding behind you , handle to your side , with both hands with firm downward pressure , walk the seeded area - this will assure good contact with the soil without covering the seed too deep or skewing the seed coverage , which raking with a garden rake might do. Then you can straw lightly.

DSLND
04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Alright, have another question. How do i go about spreading the seed? Can i use a broadcast spreader, or do i just spread using my hands? Thanks! -Mitch-

DSLND
04-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I went down to remeasure the are today, its just over 7k sq ft. I just need to find out how much i can get straw for. Also, how about the spreading, can I use a broadcast spreader? Thanks! -Mitch-

haybaler
04-13-2007, 08:07 PM
wow. 500sq ft and 7k is a big difference. def use broadcast spreader or one of those hand crank spreaders that goes on your shoulder. that will use a lot less seed than by hand. use a good quality seed (don't cheap out) and use starter fertilzer.

DSLND
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Yea, didn't realize how big of an area it acually was:hammerhead: . Should i apply the starter fertilizer first, (after tilling), then seed, then straw. What setting on my spreader should i set it at. Also, how much should i tell the homeowner to water per day. Thanks! -Mitch-

Petr51488
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
also, don't put down more than the recommended amount of seed.. it wont grow.

Coffeecraver
04-14-2007, 07:35 AM
This is a job for the fall,you should use sod or wait till fall to seed,just take care of the weeds through this summer

haybaler
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
there's no such thing as putting down to much seed, I'm not sure what that guys smokin'. also fall is the best time but if they want it done now do it now, it will be fine. just try to do it rite before it's gonna rain or keep it wet.

haybaler
04-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Yea, didn't realize how big of an area it acually was:hammerhead: . Should i apply the starter fertilizer first, (after tilling), then seed, then straw. What setting on my spreader should i set it at. Also, how much should i tell the homeowner to water per day. Thanks! -Mitch-

the fertilizer can go on after seed is raked in, then straw. Either do it rite before a good steady rain, or water it in good. then if it doesn't rain tell the homeowner to water every day at the end of the day. never water in the middle of the day when the sun is out. you don't have to worry about watering as much when you put the straw on. it should be fine.

PerfectEarth
04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
there's no such thing as putting down to much seed, I'm not sure what that guys smokin'.

UMmmmmmmm....... sorry, but what are YOU smoking???? This is completely incorrect and irresponsible. Overseeding way too much can be a very bad thing. I've done it- from bentgrass to fescue. Too many plants in an area will drown each other out. Disease will flourish. Competition for nutrients will kill off most of what comes up. PLUS, why would you waste money and seed on applying say, 25 lbs. of fescue/1,000 when perhaps only 7-8 lbs./1,000 is needed for success??

Amazing. And to the origional poster- no offense, but to screw up a sqft calculation on a 7,000 sqft. area by 6,500!!! is no small error. I would be seriously afraid if I were your homeowner. You might want to turn this job down.

DSLND
04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks For The Ideas! BTW the first estimate of the area was just an internal guess. I mowed the area last year but didn't realize how big it was. I hadn't even looked at it yet, nor had i given an estimate. -Mitch-

1turfguy
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Hydroseed It !!!!