PDA

View Full Version : Drainage Problem...Need Input.

mojob
04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
The GM at one of my commercial accounts asked me to take a look at his own yard and the drainage problem it has. I haven't looked at it yet, but from what he tells me, there's a burm or small hill along the back side of the property which isn't allowing the water to drain away from the house. I was planning on finding the low spot and running a trench away from the house. Do I then lay in a "socked" drain pipe and back fill with gravel and put the sod back in place?

PerfectEarth
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Sounds about right. I've had a lot of experience with drainage (golf course work) and socked or unsocked never seemed to make much difference on draintile. It won't hurt I suppose.

Maybe throw in a catch basin or two near areas that seem to pond. I'd consider the peagravel backfill with maybe some coarse sand on top. Then sod. IF it's in an area that won't fry. Otherwise, maybe some nice topsoil on top- I'd maybe sock it if soil is used??

EJD Lawnpride
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
You don't need to sock it. The sock always would clog before our un-socked drains did in the greens and bunkers. I would put basins in if necessary. You might want to shoot grades to see how well it allowas for surface drain.

mojob
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. The basins you're talking about, are those the square buckets with the grate on top that you attach the drain pipes to?

EJD Lawnpride
04-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes. We usally use atleast the 24" However, we usally use 6in. pipe

Bigred350
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Can you not take the hump off the yard that holding the water in. Then you would not have to worry about pipe.

Focal Point Landscapes
04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Good idea - this should be your first objective since the drain pipe / catch basin approach will sooner or later become another maintenance item.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-11-2007, 06:40 AM
could you skip the pipe and just do a so called french drain with the trench and gravel to create a path of least resistance??? I have a couple of customers with very wet back yards.....

Derek

sheshovel
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
You won't be able to assess this job until you actually go look at it.