PDA

View Full Version : 2 tanks 2 reels 1 pump

cenlo
04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Anyone have an easy solution to hook up 2 tanks....2 reels.....with 1 pump. I have a 100 gallon tank for weed control with a 50 gallon tank mounted along side. I have 2 electric hose reels mounted...but would like to run them off 1 motor. Is there and adaptor to bolt onto the motor that would run 2 Hypro pumps at different times? If not it would require 8 valves.......?......right?

Thanks

indyturf
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
You could run 2 hose reels of 1 hypro pump. but I don't know of any way to run 2 pumps of 1 engine? you could hook both tanks to 1 pump and have valves to control which tank your spraying out of.

(wi) Roots
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
intake one for each tank, return one for each tank = 4 valves
(a "T" to separate both tanks from each other and a "T" to separate both tanks for its return. So, from the pump the pressure regulator will supply both reels, each reel should have it's own shut off valve to switch from one tank to the other. Then, its only a matter of choosing which tank you wish too use. 6 valves total. two to each tank and one for each reel. Now, what is your purpose for each tank? Would one be for broadleaf? and the other for spot spraying another selective herbicide?

Duekster
04-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I seem to recall seeing dual head pumps. I have even seen dual line hoses.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/menu.asp?MID=188

cenlo
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
intake one for each tank, return one for each tank = 4 valves
(a "T" to separate both tanks from each other and a "T" to separate both tanks for its return. So, from the pump the pressure regulator will supply both reels, each reel should have it's own shut off valve to switch from one tank to the other. Then, its only a matter of choosing which tank you wish too use. 6 valves total. two to each tank and one for each reel. Now, what is your purpose for each tank? Would one be for broadleaf? and the other for spot spraying another selective herbicide?

One for insects and one for weeds.

kjw79
04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I think the best way would be to add two pumps inside the tank such as submersibles and put valves on the outputs to mantain the pressure, the valves of course would be connected directly to the reels, one for bugs, and one for weeds. Now as for the power issue, I would use and power inverter to get power to the pumps, and activate them by switched power. Let me know how this works if you go this route...
Thanks
Ken Welworth

Ric
04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Cenlo

I purchased a used GT/CL Truck that was 2 tanks 2 reels and one pump driven by the PTO. There were two, Two way balls valve for switching tanks. one for the suction and one for the pressure from the pump. From the pressure side valve both tanks has separate pressure regulators.

I didn't like this system because of Cross contamination of the tanks. I sure wouldn't want herbicide in my insecticide tank. So I changed the plumbing to Two pumps and no cross overs. Because the body is enclosed I couldn't put a gasoline motor, so I got a 8.5 GPM 100 PSI Hypo electric pump that draws 40 amps. I used 8 gage wire. I am happy with this set up and even added a 3rd 25 gallon tank pump and hose reel which I used for herbicide. I use a smaller 2GPM 12V Hypro pump and get plenty of volume to spray herbicide at 1 gallon per thousand.

BTW you can run two pumps off one engine with a Jack Shaft. The engine turns the Jack shaft and a Belt pulley for each engine is engaged like a Mower deck is engaged.

(wi) Roots
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Absolutely, Ric, the best way to handle split tank would be to use another motor. I've used 5.5 honda motor for my lawn apps, and electric motor for my insecticide/fungicide treatments. No, cross contamination. This is especially true if one of tanks are to be used exclusively for T/S applications.

cenlo
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the posts. I never thought of a 12v pump. great idea. Would an on-demand pump be the best option?

DUSTYCEDAR
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
k.i.s.s keep it simple stupid
that way no mess ups at the end of the day
the electric pump would be the way to go if u dont need a lot of pressure
post some pics when u get it running

(wi) Roots
04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the posts. I never thought of a 12v pump. great idea. Would an on-demand pump be the best option?

Depends on how you intend to use it? Will it be for Lawns?, Landscape?, or
Pest?

olive123
04-12-2007, 06:10 AM
my rig has 2 d 50s run by one 8 hp honda. There is a clutch system a belt runs off the motor and there are two clutches which engage when you flip a switch.
The clutch engages and a belt runs the pump. Find a local shop that sets up tanks its somewhat common here.

cenlo
04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Depends on how you intend to use it? Will it be for Lawns?, Landscape?, or
Pest?

Insects on lawns. My only concern ...will a 2-3 gpm pump be ok thru 300' of hose?

cenlo
04-12-2007, 08:00 AM
I think the best way would be to add two pumps inside the tank such as submersibles and put valves on the outputs to mantain the pressure, the valves of course would be connected directly to the reels, one for bugs, and one for weeds. Now as for the power issue, I would use and power inverter to get power to the pumps, and activate them by switched power. Let me know how this works if you go this route...
Thanks
Ken Welworth

Thanks Ken buy fu

Dallas Turf
04-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Hy-pro pumps can also be ordered with a through shaft( shaft out both sides of pump. You order the first one with the gear reduction and a through shaft and a second normal pump only and it connects to the end of the first pump.

LawnJohn
04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Can you guys post pics of your setup? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

John..

Ric
04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Hy-pro pumps can also be ordered with a through shaft( shaft out both sides of pump. You order the first one with the gear reduction and a through shaft and a second normal pump only and it connects to the end of the first pump.

Jason

Great, If you run both pumps at the same time ALL the time. But in most cases Applicatior work alone and only use one pump at a time. You are putting too many hours on each pump runing both when only using one. However this might fit into someones method of application.

sprayboy
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Ric

Not sure how your truck is set up, but when I was at TG/CL in mid 90's, the set up then sounds like what you have. I can't remember exactly how it was but you could spray and still transfer from one tank into the tank you was spraying out of. The problem was those guys doing it was forgetting the valve was open and over filling that tank, creating a little mess in a nice fancy neighborhood.

Ric
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Ric

Not sure how your truck is set up, but when I was at TG/CL in mid 90's, the set up then sounds like what you have. I can't remember exactly how it was but you could spray and still transfer from one tank into the tank you was spraying out of. The problem was those guys doing it was forgetting the valve was open and over filling that tank, creating a little mess in a nice fancy neighborhood.

Sprayboy

I took out the cross over valves and made the PTO pump run only one tank. I then plumbed in a Hydro 2150P D39DC electric pump rated at 8.5 GPM and 100 PSI to the other tank. I made several other changes before I even repainted the truck or used it the first time. I can transfer water only by placing the spray hose into the other tank. I am using a premix Bulk system much like GT/CL and mix on the ground with a Swimming pool pump which also fills the truck almost the same as TG/CL. I have the Isuzu-GMC cab over and although it is very old it must have been maintained well. I have had no problems with the actual truck other than normal maintenance, Brakes being the only real replacement Knock on wood.

BTW Some other changes were to convert the injector tank into a third tank-reel set up once again a 12v smaller Hypro pump for weed control only. I use the tanks as separate mixes. 1st for lawns 2nd one for shrubs and the 3rd for spot weed control.

Cost wise I came out very good. I put twice again what I paid for the truck back into it before I ever used it with the quality paint job being the big expense. But after 5 years the Truck doesn't owe me a penny and it is still running perfect. It is ready for paint on the left side under the spray doors because of the acid that must be use to clean fertilizer stain. But the rest of the truck still looks great at a total cost less than I could have bought an econo pickup truck for.

PS. As nice a setup as I feel I have, I also have need of a speciality sprayer. For this I have Two 50 gallon gasoline skid sprays mounted on a small 5 X 10 trailer. I also have a few 25 gallon 12v spot sprayer that I will slide in and out of my personal truck for certain jobs, as well as my home made Spread and Spray machine on an old Walker mower that works great.

But I must add that I am not the normal Start up guy and this is not my first rodeo. I sold out once and retired. I am now semiretired and working part time as a one man band now.

sprayboy
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
They was trying the injection system for spot weed control but had that heavy ass hose that took 5 people to drag around. Needless to say it didn't work, couldn't get it calibrated either. Sounds like you have a nice setup. I don't know about your area but if I pulled up to my customers with an old TG/CL truck without repainting it I would probably get shot. People around here don't take to kindly to TG/CL. I think the days of hanging invoices still haunts them.
I figured you have been around by some of your posts on here.
I thought those trucks were not to bad to work out of, you can turn them around pretty easy.

Ric
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
They was trying the injection system for spot weed control but had that heavy ass hose that took 5 people to drag around. Needless to say it didn't work, couldn't get it calibrated either. Sounds like you have a nice setup. I don't know about your area but if I pulled up to my customers with an old TG/CL truck without repainting it I would probably get shot. People around here don't take to kindly to TG/CL. I think the days of hanging invoices still haunts them.
I figured you have been around by some of your posts on here.
I thought those trucks were not to bad to work out of, you can turn them around pretty easy.

Sprayboy

Not My first Rodeo by any means.

Yep I like my truck and even have it now set up with a Computer and printer in it. The Cabovers cab turn around on a dime and the 10 ft fiberglass bed fits into any normal parking space unlike bigger trucks. I have been ask where I got it since TG/CL here in Florida strips their trucks before selling them. It was with LawnGodFathers help on this forum that I learned of a Texas Truck Dealer who had a ton of them to chose from. I drove to Dallas Texas with a buddy and drove it back home. Best Equipment investment I ever made and it was cheap.

Dallas Turf
04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Ric,
At this point most of the trucks are coming in with a ton of holes drilled in the tanks and most of the pumps are pulled for scrap. I have heard the service techs are trading the pump heads (about 40# of brass) for scrap or beer money.

Ric
04-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Ric,
At this point most of the trucks are coming in with a ton of holes drilled in the tanks and most of the pumps are pulled for scrap. I have heard the service techs are trading the pump heads (about 40# of brass) for scrap or beer money.

Jason

There are a lot of Trucks for sale at Florida used Truck Dealers that are stripped. In fact the Tanks are all drilled. That is why I had to go to Dallas to get mine. Fact is My truck was from Colorado originally. TG/CL doesn't want to supply their competition with great equipment for cheap prices.

I know you have purchased use Hydracel pumps from Mike also. I got a couple of back up pumps cheap myself. But what a dumbie I was, not to of got a bunch more. Those pumps are around $ 3,000 each new.

Dallas Turf
04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Jason

There are a lot of Trucks for sale at Florida used Truck Dealers that are stripped. In fact the Tanks are all drilled. That is why I had to go to Dallas to get mine. Fact is My truck was from Colorado originally. TG/CL doesn't want to supply their competition with great equipment for cheap prices.

I know you have purchased use Hydracel pumps from Mike also. I got a couple of back up pumps cheap myself. But what a dumbie I was, not to of got a bunch more. Those pumps are around $ 3,000 each new.

Mine came out of the fleet from Colorado as well, it is a 1995 only 107k miles. The Colorado Springs branch, from what I understand, closed and liquidated everything.

teeca
04-14-2007, 05:12 PM
here's what i thought of doing. 1 pump/engine, 2 hose reels, 2 injuctors, 1 large fresh water nurse tank. injectors run about $490ea, can deliver .23 - 5gal per min at pressures up to 80psi. that would be the cheapest way i could think of going and not have to worry about crossing to different products.

Ric
04-14-2007, 06:29 PM
here's what i thought of doing. 1 pump/engine, 2 hose reels, 2 injuctors, 1 large fresh water nurse tank. injectors run about $490ea, can deliver .23 - 5gal per min at pressures up to 80psi. that would be the cheapest way i could think of going and not have to worry about crossing to different products.

Teeca

That sounds like a winner. One 2 way valve to switch between the Two Hose reels and you are in business. But the reliability of an injector system still comes into play. The information I get from people I feel are Knowledgeable, is the Injector can and do mess up. Therefore I have been advised to watch the calibration carefully. If the Chemical tank doesn't come out correct before and after each spray job, then something is wrong.

Being in the Bug Capital of the USA, I want to hit the lesser market of straight Bug Spray. Less Gross but way more margin. At one time I was thinking of building an injector system on an Econ truck and using the Customers water to hold down Tanking cost of operating a bigger truck. Friends and Customers I talk to about that system feel using the Customers water is very unprofessional. I have not given up on that Idea, just moved it to the back burner. I think doing a low ball marketing and selling the idea that they are getting a better price because of using their water, would sell. However I also think it would lower my professionalism in other areas of Fert & Squirt.

BTW If I didn't post it before. I have found In Line Injectors from $ 275.00 to over $ 3500.00. I am not sure the High price units are any better than the $ 275.00 unit.

PS Too Bad you aren't Closer. I have a double Stainless Steel hose reel just sitting here. The Motors are gone but they are Power or hand crank and are still good, Just add new motors.

teeca
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
stainless steel, might drive down their just for the price of scap! lol maybe if i ever go to disney rob and rap, i'll look you up. i have found injustors at www.dultmeier.com and they ship fast. they (manufactures) claim that they are VERY reliable and will last, they do use them in car wash's and the sort. i've posted a couple of threads on here and responded to several, about injectors. not to much feed back, about 50/50 on the wortheyness.. i'm pretty set that i am going to get one, but just use one hose reel for now. going to mix all my fert and other nutriants in the tank, then use it to inject the herbicides. the thought and the odds of having an accident with a tank of herbicides just burns the back of my mind. alot easier to contain 2.5gal of weed killer, then 400gal! and the EPA would be less likly to make my insurance pay to remove the soil 24" deep around the crash sceen.