PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Brambles and Rocks

echeandia
04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I just got back from a meeting with a potential customer. They have an area in their back yard that is about 25' x 80' that they want cleared. There is a line of rocks that is about 8' x 80 in front of the brambles which makes up the remainder of the area. They want the loose rocks moved back into a pile in the woods (moving each rock 25-50'). These rocks weigh between 2 and 50 pounds. The overgrown area with the brambles they want cleared out and the debris moved about 100'. There are only two areas (8x10) where the brambles are thick. The rest of the area they are thin but you can't walk through without getting snagged.

Would you take this job?
What is the best way to clear out the brambles?

bigmudder77
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
id take it and charge at least $50 an hour maybe more

workinallthetime
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
what is/are brambles?

rocks id rent a skid steer and charge them the renting fee plus 30-50 an hour your there depending on what you comfortable with

if brambles are shrubs or brush trees then scrap idea 1 and rent a small tractor with a front end loader and backhoe. the backhoe to remove the brush by the root and the FEL to move the rocks and brush away from the site.

i do tractor work and this is how i would do it, i charge 50 an hour for what i do and have a 100.00 min.
here is my unit

echeandia
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
what is/are brambles?

Thorny shrubs. These have some very fine needles that look like they could go right through leather.

bigmudder77
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
they can trust me and they will lots of them will might wanna get a brush hog and mow it down thats what i have done costs more but so much better than picking things out of your body for the next week

workinallthetime
04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
true a brush hog would give you instant gratification but wouldnt they just come back? most of the stuff around here will just come back if you dont get the roots out.
Backhoe and front end loader is still the way i would go, and get a dumpster so you dont have to unload it.
jobs gettin real expensive
around here it about 250.00 to rent a TLB (tractor loader bakhoe) and about 180.00 to have a dumpster delivered to a site
if you go with a TLB get one that has ripper teeth on the bucket so you can load the stuff and use it to up root any thing left after the majority of it has been removed.

just what i would do but i have the stuff to do it, sounds like a pain no matter how you slice it

bigmudder77
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
ya they will come back but if you get it down to where you can mow it and plant grass seed the grass should over power it. or at least it worked for me. i would go with the backhoe and front end loader also to dig up the roots then you dont need to have a dumpster cause ya they charge alot for that

workinallthetime
04-11-2007, 11:49 PM
i was suggesting the dumpster so he does not have to deal with unloading the stuff somewhere, if it can be relocated on site this would help.
another word of advice for you in the form of an experince i had

guy calls and wants me to clear the brush in an area and tell me its full of poison ivy, no big deal i tell him 45 a hour plus 45 dump fee,(this was before i had a bigger tractor so i was cheeper then). so i go over there and in a couple of hours i have the area clear of brush and the ivy. he told me he was going to put sod down so i just preped the area for sod. then he comes out and tells me he wants to put seed down and all these little roots have to go. no big deal its his money so i clean it up completly to the point of using a hoe to get every piece of root off the ground. this cost him another 3 hours which was really not needed if he would have told me what his plans were to start with. now im all done and 3 days later he tells me he wants to put spray on grass down
uggg
glad i got paid and left the scene.
just make sure they know what the ultimate outcome for the area is and i will save both of you time and money is all im saying