PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jap. Maple Tree

cuttenup
04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I installed a Jap. Maple tree about this time last year. The tree is about 3-4 ft tall. We had a cold spell come through this weekend and a some light frost. I covered the tree but sometime during the night the wind blew the cover off and the tree had a light cover of frost on it the next morning. Is this going to kill my tree? It had started blooming before the cold spell now it looks dead.

Duekster
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
It will likely re-bud out.

MarcSmith
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
we have had a dry winter with some real chilly snaps here in there. but I never covered any of our jap maples. and I don't forsee any problems with em. This last cold snap might have hurt some of the buds, but I don't think you see any long term effects. It has been in the ground over a year which helps it case...

packer101
04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
it should be ok.... most people dont cover them or such atall over the winter and they turn out to be ok it will just rebud

gqnine44
04-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Around here it has been FREEZING at night. This is different than FROST. All the sheets in the house wont stop a freeze.

Your trees will be fine.

tjsquickcuts
04-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Same thing happened to most my Accounts who have Jap Maples....The past 4 days we have been 30 or below, and even set record both friday and saturday for lows.....While I was out today, notice that most of my Jap Maples were bitten, and losing leaves....but called my supplier today, and he told me not to worry, everything will be fine, but they are going to lose some leaves....So I would say dont worry about it....JMO.....

Bustus
04-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Up here in the north many people leave them over the winters without cover and they are fine.

sheshovel
04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
The buds may have frozen but the tree will be fine.

DoetschOutdoor
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
The trees are always fine over the course of a regular winter but this year has been different. Its not the cold that hurts them, its the changing temps all the time. I was going to ask the same question about our JM bc it starting coming out with the 2 week spell of 70 degrees in mid march and now is looking pretty sick from having a week in the freezing at night.