PDA

View Full Version : mailboxes

bodisatvah
04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
one of out local mail carriers stopped me and had a talk with me....since i was putting flyers in mailboxes. apparantly, a big no-no. she told me, she has to take every flyer she finds and collect it. i could be charged .39 per flyer (tiny ouch).

my question is, can i put the flyers outside the mailbox? she told me to hand out door hangers, but who has time for that? mail carriers do not! :>)

i'm just looking for a fast, efficient, legal way to pass out my flyers.
i did try postcards...but it got expensive fast.

any legal suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Runner
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
No no no no no. Do a search, and there is about a full days worth of reading on here. There are even the laws right out of the book per batum.

CoreyD
04-10-2007, 05:18 PM
yea dont even touch the mailboxes...... put them in the newspaper box if you dont want to get out of the car for door hangers and such... not every one has a newspaper box.... but it is not illigal to put them in the newspaper box... but to put anything at all in or outside of the mailbox is illigal

DJL50
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Each area seems to enforce things different. Around here you can hang anything you want on a mail box just can't put it in the box. We get all our weekly sale ads from a place called the door store each Sunday. They hang it on a hook or nail on the side of the mail box.

Runner
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Right..Which is still illegal, though. Whether it is enforced or not, are up to the P.O workers....i.e. mail carriers, supervisors, postmaster, etc.. the laws themselves are the same regardless of wherever they are at - regardless on area, county, city, state. If it is in the U.S., it has the same laws. The hooks on the door are a HUGE no-no. This would be the FIRST place a carrier would have trouble with. This would be worse than the flag. lol

CoreyD
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
yea exactly.... they dont enforce it around here either..... same for spraying weed killer without a license they dont enforce that here either but.... thats the only thing i get away with :)

FiveOJoe
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Most of the posts in my area are PVC as the houses are new. I Scotch tape them to the post. Got 10 new customers out of 300 flyers this Spring.

CoreyD
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
i remember a thread a month or so ago.... by someone i cant remember who.... but he had gone around useing tape with flyers on mailboxes.... and some woman actually called him to complain about a sticky mark it put on her mailbox lol better be careful about that .... theres alot of stupid people who like to complain about the smallest things....

Ecoscape01
04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
That was me.......I learned my lesson

Poncho25
04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Its a federal law, and that mailbox is considered federal property. so in, on, anywhere near it is considered illegal, and if a home owner wanted to, they can call their local mail company and complain about whome ever is doing this. Then they (mail company) has a right to fine you. Just find a local kid an pay him 20 bucks ;) to hand out door hangers for you.

bohiaa
04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
OMG..... that a federal mail box............

dannyboy20
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Just do it until you get caught. I have been putting post-its on the side of mail boxes. Quick and easy. If someone says something then just play dumb. I get things in my mail box from boy scouts, babbysitting ads, and other random adds. I understand its against law. A friend of mine started out by putting flyers in mail boxes every day. And now he has a verry succesfull business. You gotta start somewere. Its also an easy way to find out who you wouldn want for a customer. If someone wants to complain about a little flyer...........

Ecoscape01
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Well honestly I learned my lesson about what tape to use. I've been really busy right now with current business but when I have time to pursue new buz i plan on doing just what Dannyboy20 sais. Some LCO's make a big deal about it (those are the ones spending thousands on direct mailings and phone book ads) but we gotta start somewhere