PDA

View Full Version : I need honest advice - Please help

lawnperfections
07-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Please forgive my double post but I did know where to ask.

I work (Sr. Systems Analyst) for a hospital here in Jax. Its a good job(pays $53K)that I like but not love. I also have a part-time lawn care business that I love. Over the last year I have built it into a 30- 40 customer business ($27-30K) in just my neighborhood of 225 homes. Long story shorter. A business man that I have worked out with in the gym for the last 2 years has approached me to take the business "big time". He wants to diversify his portfolio. He is an electrical & communication contractor with 57 employees running about 30-40 trucks all over Jax. He a very honest and genuine family man, that enjoys the lawn industry. He says that he does a lot of commercial work and has a lot of contacts. He will be putting up 100K - 150K of his own money to get started with a the truck, equipment and 3 member crew. He would like to have 3 to 5 crews running in 6 to 12 months. Lawn care in FL is almost year round. I would be the sales force and foreman until we can justify hiring one. This would be a 50-50 partnership.

While I love the lawn care business and enjoy selling and customer relations I don't want to give up $80k to make $40k. By the way my wife is 5 months pregnant and will be quitting work when the baby comes in Dec.

My questions are:
What is the likelyhood of making 80-100k.?
Would any of you do this?
Should I just keep doing what I'm doing?
What kind of gross sales do I need to generate?

Please give me your honest opinion because I have found that this site is the best place for good, honest answers.

mowerman90
07-30-2001, 04:12 PM
Lawnperfections,

You've got a tuff decision to make. I'm glad it's you and not me. I'm a solo operater and have been for the last 12 years. I've known people that have partnered with who they thought were friends (and relatives) only to become bitter enemies. If you should go into business partnership with this man BE SURE to have an attorney draw up an aggreement stating who does what and who pays for what etc. etc. It will be for the benifit of both of you. If this guy balks at this idea I would RUN, not walk away from the deal. Considering that you'll be a Daddy very soon I think I would also consider the problems with health insurance. Will you have any with this new venture? What are the chances of you keeping your present dayjob and hireing someone to run your existing lawnservice? You would loose money initially but it would free you up to help out at home with the new addition. Just my .02, good luck whatever you do.

MATTHEW
07-30-2001, 04:16 PM
My honest opinion is that you keep your situation stable. You probably will be able to benefit from a pension when you retire and you are probably getting decent health insurance at decent rates. If you love the lawn business-just keep doing it! It is great part time income. Also you can use it for a backup if you should ever lose your job suddenly. Just my opinion.

roscioli
07-30-2001, 04:28 PM
Wow, I dont even want to try to answer that. How much do you value stability? Obviously it is important for you with a child coming, but how much do you have saved up? Enough to support a family in case this fails? What if you dont do it? Will you lose all your customers to him? Yikes, what a situation.. Sorry I cant help.

powerreel
07-30-2001, 04:56 PM
Cool.... You're gonna have to bust yer butt and do both for awhile. After everything is said and done you'll be a better man.

Currier
07-30-2001, 05:23 PM
Why not just look at various options or levels of involvement? Do you have to quit your other job? or can you keep it, merge with the partner, add some extra help and find yourself more administrative rather than operational.

Look at all kinds of possible options.

Michael Fronczak
07-30-2001, 05:34 PM
My honest advise, stick with your day job & part time bus. I too have a baby on the way(9/23 due), and get very nervous. I am full time have been for a while, since '97. My wife works full time, with great benefits, doesn't intend to stop after baby, we need benefits more than anything else. trying to jump into straight commercial work, selling & being foreman is a very tough deal. We do mostly commercial work, it takes a while to learn to deal with the people, build reputation/references, & learn all you can about everthing related to the field from installation to maintenance problems. Good luck Wifes calling.

Bob_McNaughton
07-30-2001, 06:05 PM
Lawnperfections,

I wouldn't recommend taking on a partner. They are nothing but headaches, and if the relationship sours(as do all partnerships after time), you will be stuck wrestling control of the company in court. Don't do it!

As for your two careers.. I'd drop the Systems Analyst position and take your lawn business fulltime. If you already have 40 customers and are doing 30k a year mowing lawns, you have a foundation ready for expansion. There are guys in my area doing 125k a year with ONE crew. I know solo guys pulling down 85k a year(go getters). You shouldn't have a problem making up the other 50k of your analyst position, and you would be doing somethign you love.

Working for the man gets old, real fast, and later, you will regret not doing what you love. (I know I do) The security of your 9-5 job is pretty tough to give up, but the drive for success should allow you to meet your income essentials in the lawn business, especially if you love it.

Worst case scenario, you could ALWAYS find another job as a Systems Analyst down the road if you decide in a few years that full-time lawn maintence isn't for you. If not, then a 50k a year job is pretty easy to find in almost any field. Both of which would mean you sold-out to the man, and once you taste the freedom of fulltime lawn maintence, locking yourself up in a cubicle again would be something you just wouldn't accept...

Security is not worth the price of admission. There is affordable healthcare available out there, if you look hard. Incorporate, and offer yourself and your family benefits through the corporation, and use the full write-off. Worst case, you can get an independant group insurance plan for 300$ or so a month for the family. Again, you can write this off.

I know how you feel though, once I resign from my company, the benefits are going to poof. But I currently pay $250.00 a month for full insurance (optical, dental, health). Paying another $200 a month to get it on my own will be well worth it. Or, my wife is a RN, and can pick it up at her work if she wants. Its really not that big of a deal and certainly isn't worth doing somethign you don't love, just to keep the benefits..

Also, the last thing to consider, there are alot of companies out there that offer insurance to part-time employees and their families. Radioshack is one of them. All you have to do is work 5-10 hours a week, and you got insurance for your family.. I'm considering staying with Radioshack after next spring, just working 1-2 days a week, a few hours a day. (Sat/Sun 4-5 hours each). JUST to maintain the benefits, and stock purchase plans. This is still up for debate though, and I won't make a decision until the time is more near.

I've felt like a caged animal for the last 8 years, and its killing me! They are sucking the life out of me.. Dumbing me down, turning me into a machine with only one purpose, to slave and make THEM money. In a few years, when my production and numbers begin to drop (burn out), i'll be thrown into the dumpster like a bag of rubbish. Don't let that happen to you.. (Dramatic, I know)

Good luck.

Fantasy Lawns
07-30-2001, 06:07 PM
With the kid on the way & 1 less job income …THAT is an issue …can’t help with what you must come to terms with it ….cash WILL be tight ….at First

As far as health insurance ……we have Blue Cross and the cost if quite reasonable …start up of 3 guys & equip ……with goal of 3-5 crews (trucks with 2-3 guys each) the company will HAVE to have a health plan & benefits (if you wish to attract qualified crew leaders) ….

The partner issue is iffy ....I'm in one & it works ....but I know many whom Regret it ....He does bring plenty to the plate wit $$ and Contacts .....(very good) ....he should be able to provide much information on insurance, legal & CPA stuff … your investor / partner sounds has if he is an asset (57 employees ….I’d say he has lots of knowledge on large scale operations) …You may feel you know him but yes see a Lawyer!

What about your present accounts & equip ….. do you sell it to the new corporation …..there’s some extra $$ for kid ……or is that your put up Cash as well as your time risk ?? …Do you get a Paycheck or it 50-50 from start ……what about years from now if you’re a big success ….he still gets 50% of your hard work ?? ….I’d do the 50-50 but still need a weekly check ….. perhaps a check related to % of income for the first 2 Years??

100- 150k will be pretty eaten up just to equip, locate, set up & ADVO … (don’t buy a 30K work truck …..get a nice used crew cab diesel for under 15k, and DO get a 60” deck on the ZTR, get NEW 2 cycle stuff, buy a USED enclosed or open ….rent a property in a commercial area with a house n then sub lease out the house …..get SMART with that $$) ...BUT with good $ management you should have NO Cash Flow Issues first 12 Months ....Just Gotta get them Jobs

If you can REALLY Get Jobs Lined up Fast …..and here’s a KEY …..Get Some GOOD WORKERS …than Do It …. But if you need STABEL ……Think Twice …DON”T Quit the Main Job UNTIL you are over worked ….. hire a Good Crew Leader & Worker ….. Check up on them …..get more accounts ….THAN maybe Quit

Commercial …..well no matter what you may …..hear said …..or read …..Commercial is where the MONEY is ……period …hands down ……on most PREMIUM Commercial (hint è SELL n BE A GOOD IMAGE …. SUB OUT WHAT YOU CAN’T DO & CHARGE A PREMIUM !!) ….you will be able to charge $ 35-45+ per hour …..landscaping & palm tree work will be DOUBLE …Even TRIPLE that …..(Down here that’s GOOD $$)

This is NOT to Say that a Fat Premium River Estate or Multiple Yards on a Street is Not good $$$ ..... they are

The real question is “can you run a successful business & do you have the time commitment it demands” if you say YES ….than you Should Do It ….... ….Good Luck ;->

Charles
07-30-2001, 07:33 PM
This is easy. You have the best of both worlds right now. Keep your systems job and quit the lawncare and devote more time to your family. Insurance is reasonable while you are young and healthy. But the older you get the higher it goes and add a family to that with dental.
Working 2 jobs cant leave much time or energy to entertain a wife and kids and 53000$ is alot of money by itself.
The partnership could flop like the above have said

Dave
07-30-2001, 07:52 PM
I ,agree with Charles with the exception of quiting your part time
job,count your vac time sick leave personal leave,and what does the company you work for give for retierment,I was a self employed fisherman a good part of my life.loved it ,to hernias a few years apart total 13 weeks no pay.ff for 14 years pays fair,good bennies,good retirement,cut my hand a couple of weeks ago two weeks out of work got paid plus got tdi also,its lousy to go somedays but on the other hand I know theres a pay every two weeks,and it gives me the time to run a side business

sheppard
07-30-2001, 08:08 PM
Alot of good advice was offered thus far- here is my 2 cents worth. My son is 4 and 1/2. My wife needed me home for two weeks when he was born. You will hopefully be ga ga over your son or daughter. So the time at home will be well spent. The j. o. b. might not be the best for your family long term but if you are not fulfilled in it and bored, the addeed stress of a new family member will only aggrivate it. Would not take on a partner in this situation unless you know him VERY well. Even then I probably would not do it. If your a systems anal. then you probably have an engineers mentality and have stong opinions on a number of basic life and work issues. You may not be good partner material your self. The great thing about America is that most people succeed at what they are passionate about. Sound like the full time job is not lighting your fire. I'd talk it over with your wife and map out a time line to convert to mowing full time- your new family member will appreciate you presence at home more. This is also a business that can be passed on to them if there is interest. Last bit of advice I'd opffer is to make up your OWN mind. Don't let your wife, friends or family members tell you what you need to do. Make up your mind, form a tight plan then jump!

Cordially,
Sheppard

dls7133
07-30-2001, 08:14 PM
Luke ,
Thats sounds like quite an offer to chew on.I`m with the other guys and say do your own thing.There is alot to be said for security,especially with a baby on the way.
Your friend may have alot of contacts in Jax,but the comercial end the business in tough here.I know I`m in it.Let me know if I can help.
Dave:cool:

rdh
07-30-2001, 08:17 PM
wouldnt you have to put up the same 100k-150k as a 50-50 partner.

lawnperfections
07-31-2001, 08:22 AM
I'll try and answer some of your questions:

I won't be putting up any cash - the 50-50 part comes from my expanding on what I've already have. He still has his other business to run. He will be there when I need help but he will rely on me to most of the work.

I had thought about going full-time(until I got this promotion) so I prepared by taking all the money I've made in the last year and paid off everything (cars, credits cards, loans even triple house payments still owe 79k on 175k house) built an emergency fund of 3 months expenses which I could easily build to 6+ months by Jan (projected start time). I make $25+ an hour now, that's going to be hard to give up.

I want to do both but your right it takes a toll on your body. I'm in great shape (for 31, ran marathon last year) but 13+ hour work days 6 sometimes 7 days a week can break you down.

If I quit the part-time thing my wife would have to go back to work. That's something I don't want to happen. She works for Bank of America (10 years) and I make more part-time than she does full time. They have a day care at the office park (we here its very good, long waiting list) but I seen too many 20/20 and 48 hours reports of neglect to want my boy (found out yesterday) in that environment.

The hospital has great benefits and I am probably one of the lower paid people on the floor. I've been with the hospital for 7 1/2 years but only with Information Services for 9 months.

Thank you all for your thoughts,
Luke

poghead
07-31-2001, 08:34 AM
I would not consider 50/50. Maybe 65/35 or70/30. I would never give up controling interest.

sheppard
07-31-2001, 08:36 AM
Dear Luke, whatever you do, do not place your child in a day care. Whatever it takes. If you do and your wife is at work neither of you will be able to concentrate on your jobs! Nothing will releive stress like knowing your child is safe with his mother. If you want to go full time in Lawn Care your passion will make it happen. I'd also visit a good banker about a line of credit to pull from during the begining.

Cordially,
Shepard

Bob_McNaughton
07-31-2001, 08:50 AM
Good day cares are out there. My mother in law owned one for 15 years, and I can honestly say my son benefitted from being there. It was treated as an early school, and he learned ALOT. So don't let that sway you. After 8-9 months, your wife is going to be clamouring to get out of the house. So even part-time on her part will go a long way towards relieving her stay-at-home burn-out.

$25 an hour is good money, but you could make alot more in the Lawn Care business, thats for sure.

Just my opinion though. I spent alot of years with a Fortune500 company, and would NEVER...EVER think about doing that again.. Regardless of the money and benefits they offered.. I've been on both sides of the fence, and let me tell you, which lawn care has its headaches, it is nothing like the bull$hit you put up with on a daily basis in a big company.

Peace

HOMER
07-31-2001, 05:38 PM
Kinda sounds like you got things all figured out now! I don't know if I would step out into unchartered waters. If commercial work is what YOU want then YOU need to go after it. When the time is right to let go of the day job you'll know it. I wish my financial situation was as good as yours!:cry: Rich people treat new endeavors as something that's easy and would be fun to try out, this is tough work and a tough business. He wouldn't be getting his hands in it that much but you would be expected to "make it work" no matter what. Going after commercial work just because he has the contacts doesn't mean you'll keep them. Finding and keeping quality help is a job in itself.

I think if you analyze your system;) you'll see that you have things in order, even if you just "like" your day job. If I was making $53,000.00 I might have stayed where I was at...................maybe.

Think it through, seek more counsel. Your in a different market than I am but I can't see expanding to that many crews in that short of time. As with any business it takes time to establish good relations with your customers, get employees trained, acquire equipment.........................

Good luck and congratulations on the new baby.

P.S............Whatever you decide(and I know you know this) have your wife's blessing....................without that nothin's gonna work!

kris
07-31-2001, 08:49 PM
No one can tell you what to do , that is a personal desision for you to make with your wife.

Personaly...hmmm... I would not do it. I don't see this partner being much more than a bank for you. Sure he has contacts but how far they will take you is another thing. You can make your own contacts and grow slowly. Try to stay friends with this guy and tell him you are just "not ready" to make this move. Down the road a bit you may reconsider but I don't think so... Once you learn that you can do this on your own you will never look back.
Just my opinion.. and that's all it is.

HBFOXJr
07-31-2001, 08:49 PM
1. all the contacts and commericial experience of the partner may not easily translate to phenominal sales growth in lawn care as expected

2. You'll need to earn at least 65-70K to equal your 53K now. $6,500 for good health plan, 2-5% for workmans comp, 7.65% for employers share of SS, plus you'll count in the liability insurance calulations and there is no reirement calc here

Could be a rude awakening moing on up.

smalltime
07-31-2001, 11:42 PM
My advice as a information analyst for the last 11 years is stay where you are at.

Reasons:

The field you are in can be very lucrative. The time you have in it so far is not enough. You really haven't had time to tell if you are going to like it or not.

You are going to go through a life change. Nearly 3 years ago, my wife and I were blessed with two beautiful girls. Before this I had hobbies and could have had a part time job if I didn't like spending so much time with my wife. Since the girls have come along, hobbies pretty much do not exist anymore. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. I want to be the best father I can be and if that means giving up some things, then so be it.

My wife and I both work, her in the insurance field, me in the IT field. My daughters are two very well behaved, bright children. We make enough money to easily cover day care costs and add a few thousand a month to the bottom line with her working, as opposed to staying home. There have been times that we have to express concerns with our day care, but it is probably the best day care in the area. When it comes to day care, you get what you pay for. Do I worry about neglect or abuse with this day care, not a bit.

So the bottom line is this, see what your life is like after the baby is born, then make the decision. In the meantime, enjoy the spare time while you can. Take this advice and all advice with a grain of salt. Only you and your wife can ultimately make the decision.

Best of Luck,

Steve

Runner
08-01-2001, 12:44 AM
Man, you better take a LONG GOOD look at what you are considering, here, because I have a pretty good idea that you have some good benefits going for you right now. As Bob said, there are "affordable" packages out there, but you better look at what you get for the cost as oposed to how much you are paying now. He, already paying $250 a month, may consider something else, but you on the other hand, probably aren't paying close to that, let alone 200 more. And that is a MONTH! As far as another 50k job being easy to find in another field, well, I sure don't know where that's at, with all the layoffs and downsizing taking place as it is. If you have that security of a job like yours, DON'T GAMBLE IT! Keep the lawn service on the side, and make the best of it. You'll have your retirement, and time to enjoy, and you'll also have a piece of mind with full Medical through retirement for you AND your wife, let alone a pension, and then there's always time to enjoy the things you love like your wife and lawn care. God luck with it.

miquel
08-01-2001, 07:00 AM
I would certainly keep my full time job and continue doing the lawncare business part time. Keep the lawncare business small, like 20 customers, that would give you enough time for your family. Insurance/dental etc can be very expensive. When your baby is born, let your wife take care of the baby until he/she is old enough to go to school. The first few years in a child's life is very important.
You are young, just keep strong.

Bob_McNaughton
08-01-2001, 10:59 AM
People fail to realize that in this day of cutbacks, layoffs, and tech company failures, his IT job may just not be there tomorrow.

I've seen it repeated over and over again. Most of my college buddies that once had 80-120k a year jobs with Fortune500 companies have either been terminated in downsizing, layed off permanently, or relocated within the company to other fields(at less pay).

Your making 30k a year doing a few lawns here and there.. Imagine if you put full effort into it, you could probably triple that figure.

Is your IT position really as secure as you think it is? Once any company starts feeling the pinch of the economy, the first positions they re-evaluate are their tech and IT positions.

Just some food for thought. But the info is coming from somebody that is completely burned out from the Corporate world, and very much tired of punching a timeclock. Cubicle life is hell, been there, done that.

lawnperfections
08-01-2001, 12:23 PM
I work for the largest hospital (non-profit) in Jacksonville (Baptist Health System). With all the new things that are in the works to come on line in the next few years my job is extreamly secure. Our department has over 75 people and growing all the time, so I know my job is safe, that's not an issue.

Right now I'm having to turn down work in my own neighborhood because I'm so busy and have been for the last 4 months. I cut every day after work (usually 3-4 yards) and all day on Sat, with help from a freind. I'm currently work on getting the contract for our entrance and that would be another 9K a year (I'm sure I will get it).

Thank you all for your points and opinons. I will meet with the guy again when he comes back from the Bahamas. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Luke

Lawn-Scapes
08-01-2001, 04:44 PM
Forget the offer...

I'd keep the day job and hire someone to help with the lawns. After they know what you expect and you feel comfortable...you set them up with the route while you go out and bring in more business. Before long you'll have 2-3 crews.

smalltime
08-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Bob,

You are right about job security in IT at this time, with a few exceptions. There are certain businesses that very rarely if ever see an affect from the economy. Three of those would be health care, insurance and mortuaries. In addition there are certain staple food businesses that would see little effect, of course they do not have much growth at any point either.

I believe Luke is correct in saying his job is secure. I also believe he stands to receive considerable pay raises depending on how valuable he makes himself.

My advice now, if he is interested, is pursue an opportunity as a database administrator if it arises. There is very good money in this type of position and depending on the application, there is always high demand for DBA's. The downside to this is off hours availability. Most companies will offer flex time though and allow you to make up for the extra time put in by giving you time off in return. It can be stressful, but can be very rewarding too.

As a former co-worker of mine used to say, my company may determine my salary, but I determine my hourly wage.;)

Steve

fivestarlawnken
08-01-2001, 11:41 PM
family first,sanity second,partner tylenol,pension and retirement i feel will be way more valuable than quick cash just my three cents:rolleyes:

crazygator
08-02-2001, 12:06 AM
OK My 2 cents. What value do you place on your family? Looks like to me that by having a child you place them high on your list. Always put your family before your job. If not you will regret it one day. I have a 13 month old daughter. I had a great full time job (50k yr) and part time LCO. We did plan our kid but didnt plan on my job ending. 2 months after her birth it all ended. I did get a nice final bonus that was invested, and wow did that save us big time. I will draw a part part time salary for several years, and we did simplify big time too. But we are doing really great. I have not worked (except for some lawns) so I can stay home with her. We will not put her in a day care. Too many get really sick and many horror stories too. My wife works for Verizon Wireless and has awesome benefits that we need, especially with the little one. I guess what I am saying is by focusing on my family, we made all the adjustments, and some were hard too. I have had a great time seeing my little girl grow up and change. How much is that worth? Talk to your wife about it, pray about it and you will make the right choice based on your family. Do not do it for me or anyone else who offers you advise. Also your welcome to email me anytime with any questions about your changes, or even about the baby. I'm getting really good with the baby ones. LOL!

Bob_McNaughton
08-02-2001, 12:07 AM
Your making 30k now, with the entrance as you say, thats 40k just from part-time at lawns.

Your turning down lawn jobs now.

40K is a SOLID yearly income to live off, and support a family off. The national average is lower than this. In my area, which is pretty rich, the average FAMILY income is 52K a year. In Melbourne Florida, it is 27k (low cost of living).

So again, in a heartbeat I would quit working for the man. You ALREADY have a solid LC business pulling down 40k, which is good money. You can easiy add another 20k a year to that, and since you already indicated you love mowing lawns.. Go for it..

I supported a wife that was still in college and 2 kids for almost 2 years on 30-40k a year, and lived comfortably. Its not so much what you make, but what you spend.

Just my opinion..

GrassMaster
08-02-2001, 10:09 AM
Hello Everybody:

It sounds like you got a Good Job, Great Pay & Killer Benifits. That would be hard to leave. If you've never been self employed, think hard about it. It's a different world when you are self employed.

No matter what, I would keep the job until a while after baby is born. That is a no brainer, Insurance is a precious thing. I'm 46 & my Insurance is $480 & next year it will be at least $540, the year after probably $600+. I'm facing having to go to work for the other person, just to afford insurance & I do not want T00! But I do not want to place a burden on my family either. I carry $250K life insurance & another Million Accidental Death. That is my Wifes Reward for being so good to me. She will out live me by a long shot. She deserves more. All I can afford now for her.

I can get several jobs in my area anywhere from about $27.50 an hour to $32.50 an hour. Work all the overtime I want, but that's the Problem. I would have to work at least 6 days a week. Yes I would probably make $75K Plus a year & Killer Benefits. But I wasn't home for my first child, I do not even remember her first 8 years, because I was chasing the All Mighty Dollar. More Money is just a Burden. I tell you why later. BTW: This is big Bucks in South Georgia!

I'm a Journeyman Master Millwright, I've been one for over 20 years. I got an Honorary Withdrawl from Union. Plus I can pass Multi Skilled Test. So I can pick my job, no problem. LOL, I wouldn't have to work very hard either, Knowlege is Power. But I would be robbed of time from my family. Family Time is worth about $1,000 a hour to me?

I'm self employed, I do very well & don't make crap? Monday through Friday, I stay at home with my Daughter (10 years old & Gifted, she reads a 750 page book in 3 days) & if I feel like it I go to work around lunch or I stay home. Last year I didn't go to work for over a month. LOL, a bad year. I made nothing last year, the drought about wiped me out. But those Presious Hours I spend with my Daughter is my wealth. When School starts I will be there waiting on her when she gets off the bus.

The Greatest Accomplishment in the World is Being Self Employed. Anybody can make Money, This is America & Besides that God is on my side. Here in this great Country, you can make good money washing windows. My window washer at my shop makes about $15 in 30 minutes once a month. He has no car, sending kid through College. He has over 100 accounts a month, mine is a small one compaired to most. His inventory is a bucket & a Squeege. We furnish Paper Towels & Window cleaner. He is very happy person. He's Self Employed!

A self Employed person can make $40K a year & live better than most that work for the other man that makes $60K a year. When I worked all those hours, I threw away a lot of Money because I didn't have time for anything? Not even my family. Now I work less, make less & Spend Smarter.

Remember this? When you are self employed there is all kinds of Write Offs. If you work for the other man it's hard to write off much?

Since 1985 I became Self Employed, I have more than tripled what I'm Worth. I have yet made what I made in the early 80's, but I'm with my family. If I want to go visit My Mother for 3 days, well I pack & go. I just tell my wife & go, I do not have to get permission from nobody. LOL, I just go. No leave of absense either. But I do say this, I'm in Retail & Repair Service & I dislike Retail with all my Heart. Service is where it's at & always will be.

Partnerships are Tuff, the only good Partnership is with your Wife & Family. I'm in a partnership for my first time & no problems so far, but I'm one of the Lucky few. Only you can decide & you will decide what's best.

They say that the Boy with the most Toys Wins, I do not think so? I went to funeral up in Atlanta on a beautiful Saturday, about 11 people showed up. He had everything, everybody thought, he was Multi Millionair.

One of my Friends died, I only Knew him for about 8 years or so. It was a rainy Monday, I didn't think many would show up. Over 800 showed up in the Rain, I saw at least 6 men weeping for him. He had a small home & drove a Cookie truck, his sickness almost broke him & family. He did not care about Money, but he would do anything for anybody & lay out of work to help you. He died with Cancer at age 42 & had a smile on his face all the Time till the end. He was a Winner. :)

If you think you are cut out for Self Employment go for it, when the Time is right. Family, Friends & Lotsa Free Time is worth far more than the All Mighty Dollar. I had to have a Real Bad Heat Stroke to realize I had a Great Family & I came close to loosing it all. Thank God I saw the Light! I have a Wonderful Family & I have as much time as I need for them & my Self. LOL, I just wish I could get rid of my retail business! I got 5 years & 6 months Max & the Real Estate be paid for. I'll then sell out & if family wants to, we will move to the Beach. It's our choice!

fdew
08-02-2001, 11:06 PM
If I quit the part-time thing my wife would have to go back to work. That's something I don't want to happen.

Good for you. My wife and grown daughter have both worked in Day Care. My daughter has a degree in it and they will both tell you that NOTHING beets Mom.

If you do go partner don’t go 50 50 Some one has to have the deciding vote. On the Lawn side of the business it sounds like it should be you.

BTW you are the experience, the staff, and the equipment and the customer base. The other guy is basically a very nice bank who gets ½ the business for ever for putting up the money. Weather you go part or full time is your call but I wouldn’t go partnership.

BTW I have my own small business but it is not a lawn care business.

Frank