PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of relocating to Florida

jerryo
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi currently running mom and pop size lawn/landscape installation biz, made very bad realestate investment, and had to sell snow plows and most of maintenance route. Winter was hell, and the weather here in Jersey hasn't improved much. Yesterday was 42 degrees, I feel like Im only profiting 6 months out of the year. I wonder would a longer growing season in florida help my business . Any advice welcome !

Rhinox29
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
You have tons of competition and you get less money per lawn on average down here than you probably do. Winter time we slow down a bunch. My commercials carry me through the slow time. It depends mostly on what area of the state you move too. Weather plays a factor down here also. We have been in a drought for about 3 months, but in the last couple of days got some much needed rain.

General Landscaping
04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Be ready to work all year for the same yearly gross.... or less.

When I hear some of the prices some Yanks are spitting out, my BS meter is pegging out full.
But I've never worked up there, so I keep my mouth shut.

topsites
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
From what I have seen, I can't lowball below the highest rates in Florida, matter of fact, I can't even match theirs.
And I have to wear tall hipboots reading some of the higher quotes here, too, so mine can't be that high to begin with.

Grits
04-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Lots of competition here. Winter slows down more than most people think it does. Plus, we don't have snow to plow in winter. Really gotta hustle during the slow times (winter) to find work. Overall though, I am doing pretty good....it is tough though.

PhillyShells
04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I think the past two seasons have been longer in NJ - fall has been mild and cut some customers into early Dec ! I dont do snowplowing but that seems
like a tough go the last couple of years with little or no snow. (at least in central and southern counties)

Mr.Lawn
04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Every thing these folks are saying is true.

MarcSmith
04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Done work in both areas....Had a company in orlando, and now i live in Northern VA

work does slow tremendously. in dec, Jan Feb. 2 cuts per month if the lawn is irrigated.

One than that can help you through the down times is to set up all your customers on yearly accounts with amortized payments. I averaged 36 cuts or so a year. I divided all the charges by 12 and got their monthly payment.

One thing you can do in florida is expand your services to include mulching in the "winter", palm tree trimming, shrub work, and small installs.

Digging Florida is soooooo much easier.

Cost of living in florida can be less than up north. No state income tax, but 5%+ sales tax.
which means labor rates in some places can be slightly depressed, by both cheaper COL and more competition.

Mr.Lawn
04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Every thing these folks are saying is true. There are alot of folks down here doing lawn and landscape. a trailer in every yard (haha) My father in law who cuts grass up in St.Louis is amazed by what they get paid up there as compared to down here. You have to be ready to hustle and give your customers 110% There is enough work to go around for everybody down here. Plus were else can you have your a/c on in December

CoreyD
04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
heh i think its perfect here in SC theres not nearly as many LCO's here as yall got in florida.... seeing as im the only one ive seen on this site from Florence..... or South Carolina for that matter..... but i didint do to bad in the winter... im just starting out and i passed out abut 250 flyers for leaf clean up and i had about 5 jobs to do and one... job was a bi weekly one until the leaves all fell...... after i passed them out i started to get calls about 2 weeks later...

jerryo
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I have a lot to consider, however being able to cut grass in Febuary does'nt sound so bad, I have only been able to mow once this season ,still waiting for the grass to grow (maybe another shot of fertilizer might due the trick)! Do any of you guy's N girl's do paver's ?

Ocalalawns
04-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I used to live in Broward county fl (fort lauderdale) grass grows year round. Cut everyweek year round except for 4-6 weeks. Now I'm in central florida do 37-40 cuts per year. Having to cut 1/2 acre for what I got for a 1/4 acre down south.