PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

Patatoe1
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I am not sure where to post this, so here it is. Apparently this is the year for the big emergence of Cicadas. Now, I am only 20 and have lived in the U.S. for thirteen years, so I wasn't around for the last big emergence. Do these insects affect lawns? Do they affect plants?

The last thing I would want to have happen, is several installation jobs and then have those insects come and destroy the work and put me out of money.

Anyone have any information?

PatriotLandscape
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
they do no damage and do not need to be managed with pesticides. They are here to mate and then go away for 17 years.

Patatoe1
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Well I wasn't thinking about trying to use pesticides on them. I was more worried about installing plants and shrubs, and then have them surface and eat them.

chris638
04-11-2007, 06:12 PM
We just had the Cicada invasion a couple of years ago. YES they do damage, mainly to small trees. Small shrubs, perennials, and flowering shrubs will do just fine. But smaller trees can be hit and hit hard. I am still seeing the effects to this day. They completely destroyed my Jap. Maple, not kill it, but kill a lot of branches.

Focal Point Landscapes
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
The only way that a cicada can damage a plant is when they slice the bark to lay eggs , which can cause a small branch to die - Japanese beetles are a bigger problem in my area . I don't see how you could avoid the minor damage to plants and have never heard of pesticide treatment for cicada control. Cicada killer wasps get most of them eventually.