PDA

View Full Version : mulch in rain

bodisatvah
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
is it unreasonable or worthwhile to spread mulch while it's raining?

we have some rainy days coming and i'm gonna get backed up if i dont get some work sone.

Green Pastures
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I always have guy's that will want to work on rainy days when we dont cut.

Put them to work mulching.

Mulch is a little heavier, but no reason I know why it can't or shouldn't be done while it's raining.

procut
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
As long as you don't mind getting wet, I don't see any reason why not.

F&SLawnCo
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
The only problem I have ever run into is if you have poorly dyed colors of mulch and you are working on or around concrete. Especially new construction. The dyes will bleed out onto the mulch. Easy fix though, just hose down the walkways and concrete near the beds when you are finished.

AGLA
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Wheelbarrows and mud can be a problem sometimes. Undyed mulch won't bleed.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
my old mulch supplier said that it will wash the color off if you spread it when it's raining. When it's in the pile it's ok because it gets mixed from when you take it from their to the flower bed. It's more noticable if it bleeds once it hits it when its in its final resting place. He said it will take 8-16 hours until it dries completely. My new mulch suppliers mulch seems like it wouldn't bleed as much, but it will still bleed. Talk to the mulch supplier.

adam

nick-bigfootlawn
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
my old mulch supplier said that it will wash the color off if you spread it when it's raining. When it's in the pile it's ok because it gets mixed from when you take it from their to the flower bed. It's more noticable if it bleeds once it hits it when its in its final resting place. He said it will take 8-16 hours until it dries completely. My new mulch suppliers mulch seems like it wouldn't bleed as much, but it will still bleed. Talk to the mulch supplier.

adam

This just doesn't make sense to me, it's mulch, it will get wet 40 times a year, one time isn't going to hurt it.

GreenN'Clean
04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I have mulched in the rain a couple of times just to keep on schedule but it wasn't heavy down pours. It all turned out looking good and customers were happy with the job and I didn't mind a little rain compared to a steamy hot 100 degree day....

DBL
04-12-2007, 10:27 AM
i wouldnt do it the mulch always bleed spread out like that left in a pile its fine but its happened to us before so i wont do it anymore i got a crew with a 12 yd pile not doing anything today and a 35 yard pile that will have to wait until tomorrow

PORTER 05
04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
its fine to mulch in the rain we do it ALL of the time and im sure will be doing it ALOT this spring....just watch out for walking on the same part of the lawn with load after load of mulch might mess things up, and as far as the dye running, that makes sense , but i dont use dyed mulch, only organic products for us.

nobagger
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Dyed mulches can be a bit of a problem. Just try and keep it as dry as possible (dyed mulch). The regular mulch is fine just depends on if you dont mind getting wet.

Idealtim
04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
The only good thing I can think of for working in the rain(besides not getting behind) is that you never really get hot, even if its 85 out. once I get going I kind of like it till I have to get in the truck!

TGM
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
i dunno, i get really hot in full raingear. i hate mulching in the rain, but sometimes it must be done.

GreenN'Clean
04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I never used the dyed mulch when it was raining didn't want to take a chance with it bleeding but the reg mulch was fine to do in the rain

wahlturfcare
04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
ive done it alot and never have any problems, except for what falls out of the wheelbarrow into the grass. ive use the red, cedar, coa coa, hardwood, etc without any bleeding problems.
a easy way to test is take a handle and get it soaked to check on how it bleeds.

vtscaper
04-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Working in the rain is a given for us in the N.E. If your using dyed mulch, yeah it might bleed a bit. But as someone posted this will happen naturally throughout the season. Bigger problems are: Making a mess, SOFT ground and edges and your help moving a little slower. Other than that, no prob. Good luck.

crzymow
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I just wish it was dry enough to finish cleanups so I could get to my mulch jobs. Right now most of the ground around here is so soggy that you would make a mess walking through lawns with a wheelbarrow.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
The dyed doesn't bleed, it just fades. It will wash the dye off the mulch before it gets time to set and dry the whole way through.

adam

topsites
04-13-2007, 12:03 AM
We try and forecast our rain for late at night and Sundays :laugh:

green horizons
04-13-2007, 08:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with mulching in the rain. It just sucks really bad to work in the rain. I'll do it, but there is a point at which I'll pull the plug and go home.