PDA

View Full Version : Need electrician license for MN irrigation.

unit28
04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
What do Irritators[lol] need, to do irrigation work in MN?

An electrician license?

I would like some thoughts and info on this one.
Thanks in advance.

SprinklerGuy
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Yes...an electrical license is desirable for irrigators because we all know that electrical conduit makes great irrigation pipe.

Seriously dude....search Google for Minn state regulations or some sh*t.....you're throwing darts hoping one of us is from Minnesota...

Good luck.

unit28
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes...an electrical license is desirable for irrigators because we all know that electrical conduit makes great irrigation pipe.

Seriously dude....search Google for Minn state regulations or some sh*t.....you're throwing darts hoping one of us is from Minnesota...

Good luck.

Great thought, and definantly great info....:laugh:
Thanks anyway.

I've seen a few posts here that asked for a thought on a paticular subject.

----------

You have to have a type of electrical license, but not anything with hydrolics
in MN.
Me, I don't get it.

PurpHaze
04-11-2007, 10:35 PM
You have to have a type of electrical license, but not anything with hydrolics in MN. Me, I don't get it.

Maybe since MN is "land of 10,000 lakes" no one needs to know anything pertaining to water? :laugh:

bdb
04-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks to our electrical union (they thought they were going to out smart us) we had to get what is called the Power Limited Technician License (personal lic.). Then you have to get a Technology Systems license (contractor lic.) to license your company. It applies to anything under 30 volts. Irrigation and lighting....as well as others....fire alarms, CCTV, Etc. The year that they did this (4 or 5 yrs ago) over 15,000 people passed the PLT license test. On a "normal" year they had about 3,500 people total take the various electrical tests. The union was trying to make it impossible to do any wiring hence more money for them. But they ultimately gave us the possibility to do other stuff now. A licensed plumber need to do the connection and hang the backflow device. We irrigators can connect to the exit side and go from there. And most cities require permits to install the system. But you don't have to have any requirements to do that.

:dizzy: :sleeping:

unit28
04-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks to our electrical union (they thought they were going to out smart us) we had to get what is called the Power Limited Technician License (personal lic.). Then you have to get a Technology Systems license (contractor lic.) to license your company. It applies to anything under 30 volts................
And most cities require permits to install the system. But you don't have to have any requirements to do that.

Thanks,
I've just moved here and have heard that from another contractor.

The only close supplier is John Deere Landscape. I'll try to get some more info from them too.

Just weird that everything I worked hard to obtain doesn't seem to carry weight here.

LI
BPAT
Certified Water Auditor

If there's any info on where to get the License requirements for MN's PL and CL, let us know.

Thanks again

bdb
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
The crappy or good way to look at it......you have to be an apprentice under some one with the lic. for 3 yrs just to take the test. Its good that a million people can't just be an licensed irrigator now but if in your case you live move here then that makes it hard. But again it was the electrical union that forced us to get into this. On commercial bids you see it more often that you should have a CIC from the IA.

Department of Labor and Industry http://www.doli.state.mn.us/

Look for: Power Limited Technology License

Remote Pigtails
04-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks,
I've just moved here and have heard that from another contractor.

The only close supplier is John Deere Landscape. I'll try to get some more info from them too.

Just weird that everything I worked hard to obtain doesn't seem to carry weight here.

LI
BPAT
Certified Water Auditor

If there's any info on where to get the License requirements for MN's PL and CL, let us know.

Thanks again

I'm guessing from the LI you are from Texas. Minn is a pretty extreme change. Keep us posted on how the two states differ. Being a right to work state I have no concept of what it is like to deal with a strong union state. Plu I hear Al Franken is or may run for Senator. He'd have a snowballs chance in hell in TX.