PDA

View Full Version : Would you send this? (late pay letter)

David Trickle
07-30-2001, 08:58 PM
Dear ,

Although we have contacted you about the outstanding balance on your account, we still have not heard from you. You have an outstanding balance of $_____. The following statements are overdue:

Statement No. Statement Date Due Date Amount Balance

If you have already sent payment in full, we ask that you call and let us know. Otherwise, please call me to discuss what you plan to do to settle your account.

If we do not hear from you within five days of the date of this letter we will review your account (a copy of all past due invoices and statements will be made and reviewed) at a $25.00 charge to you. This charge will be added to your overdue balance.

Sincerely,

>>>>this would be the second letter sent<<<<<

Highpoint
07-30-2001, 09:03 PM
It sucks but have you called this person yet? I would talk to them first. Just tell them you were hoping to see a check in the mail this past week and then ask them if they would be in a position to write a check now ant that you could come by. Then you might try the letter. I'm sure you'll get their attention. The $25 sounds a bit high.

David Trickle
07-30-2001, 09:44 PM
I think by adding another charge for dealling with a late payer might be a way of recouping some of the money lost on stamps and billing hours that keep growing when you have to keep resending statements. We do include a late fee monthly but it does not seem to be big enough.

MATTHEW
07-30-2001, 10:22 PM
When you are going to hit someone with an extra charge, I think you need to do it in a way that is more formal than your approach was. You should have a block of fine print on your contract or flyer that states that there is a __% per month late charge. Everyone else does it. In your letter I got the impression that you were adding the charge (a rounded number) because you are
peeed off with them. Just send a statement with an extra bar and label it " late fee" and calculate an exact number so it appears formal and not personal.

David Trickle
07-30-2001, 10:33 PM
As I stated the late fee was not strong enough and has not had much of an effect on getting these people to pay. This is just a stronger step. Most of the time if the customer is a few months overdue they say they need a copy of the invoice or statement that was not paid. Seems that the large accounts pull this trick. My figuring is get some money for making the copies and wasting our time.

Stinger
07-30-2001, 10:59 PM
I agree with Matthew's statement. One lawyer, and might I say the only one we do work for has a fine print statement we add to all lawn and landscape contracts. It explains all late fees and clearly states in legal jargin that if we must hire legal repersentation to obtain payment, they pay for that too! If you want to sound professional and not come off so rough try something like this sent registered mail.

Joe Blow Customer
1234 Avenue B
Anywhere U.S.A. 12345-6789

Re. Account No.12345

***PAST DUE REMINDER***

Dear Mr. Joe Blow:

We value your business and want to continue providing your lawn service. However, our records indicate that your account is now past due.

Please mail your payment to (your addresss)

If you would like to arrange another method of payment, or have any questions, please call (your phone#).

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and payment of the past due balance.

If you mailed payment within the past few days, please accept our apologies and disregard this notice.

Worlds Best Lawncare
1234 Avenue A
Anytown U.S.A. 12345-6789

Chopper Lover
07-30-2001, 11:27 PM
How you do your business and "late fee's" is up to you. My comment is more toward the way you write the letter.

You Write:

"If you have already sent payment in full, we ask that you call and let us know. Otherwise, please call me to discuss what you plan to do to settle your account."

I see you refer to yourself and your company as "we", "us" and "me". I think you should either write the entire letter as "us" or the entire letter as "me".

Maybe "me" should be taken out completely or changed to read "please call our office at 555-1212", or "please call Round Up's Lawn service at...."

Just an idea.
Mark

eggy
07-31-2001, 01:15 AM
You might look into getting the microsoft works program. It has several statments, such as freindly reminder and demanding, all set up ready to go.....

GreenQuest Lawn
07-31-2001, 01:55 AM
Quickbooks pro has collection letters also.

Recently I have been having my wife call. (she usually has extra time at her job). Man can she get the checks coming.