PDA

View Full Version : Powered Bed Edger Basics 101

Brad Ent
04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a couple of large mulching jobs lined up and historically always edged with a shovel.
How much of a learning curve is there to get the hang of it?
Does it operate like a straight blade edger??
Any suggestions on set up and operations??

LawnNeedz
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I rented a bed scaper yesterday for a job and it worked great. There is no learning curve that I saw. I justed painted the line where I wanted the beds and then followed them. I probably did about a hundred feet in 10-15 minutes. I would definitely recommend it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
A Brown Bed Edger puts the dirt back in the bed rather than in the grass. They are easy to use....

Ecoscape01
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow I just looked at the prices for the Brown models. Man it's gonna be a while before I can afford one. I've known about them for a while but ain't got the the money. I can't wait though cuz after trenching/edging about 250 linear feet this weekend, I can't wait to have one of those

JeffW0011
04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow I just looked at the prices for the Brown models. Man it's gonna be a while before I can afford one. I've known about them for a while but ain't got the the money. I can't wait though cuz after trenching/edging about 250 linear feet this weekend, I can't wait to have one of those

around here you can rent them for about $50 an afternoon. if i get this big mulching job that i bid i will be renting one next week...

topsites
04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I also edged for a couple of years with a shovel, then bought a 1-blade edger.

Supposedly there is this and that method but I just think of mine as a handheld ditchwitch, it really clears out that trench in short order, spitting out dirt at a pretty decent rate, it's not much faster than a shovel but sure is easier on me.

I still don't get what they told me at the store, I kinda usually hold mine at an angle for mulch beds to get that wide berm, but I hold it straight along curbs and walkways to get that narrow likety-split like crack. Some folks like the narrow thingy around their beds, but most prefer the trench (as do I) so again think of it as a tiny ditchwitch and just let that blade dig the dirt for you.

You might use a blower afterwards to get some of the dirt cleaned up, sometimes going over 2-3 times helps also, either way it's not bad but it takes a little practice, I'm no Jedi master by any means but it's a cool tool to use.

BMFL79
04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't forget to have the power lines marked, as well as sprinkler systems, phone lines, etc. The bed edgers will eat through anything. I have a brown bed edger, and it works great. I have found, however, that if the ground is too wet, it will clump up fast.

But there is nothing better if you are trying to put a new edge on a bed in August when the ground is so dry. Plus the builders around here will bury any kind of junk in the ground to avoid picking it up. Last summer I was edging a fairly new house and found a slab of concrete about 3 feet around buried about 3 inches under the sod. It might have been the cleanout from the concrete truck. You never know what you are going to find buried near a house.

Better to find it with the edger that by breaking an ankle when you put try to put your edging shovel into concrete.