PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

Outdoor Creations
04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Just wondering if I could get some opinions on people who buy a shovel and now they are a landscaper or I have a mower now I am a pro lawn tech??? Sounds weird but I just wanted to know your thoughts on this subject.
I have been in business for 5 years and grow every year. I take classes in the winter and read all the time to better myself and better my business.
I think that it makes everyone look really bad if there are a few chumps out there that give this industry a bad name.
Work speaks for itself, I know that. But I live in a area where there are alot of people who think they are landscapers.
Just want to know what your thoughts are.
Thanks, Zach

p.s. How do I change my user name, i hit the wrong thing. Any help would be great.

Have a great day!

LindblomRJ
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
The thing is a person can get started in the "green industry" for not a lot of money. In order to sustain grown and become a long term or going concern a business owner will have to make investment in equipment.

As far as knowledge thats personal choice and its a great idea to keep reading and studying and learning. In the long term the knowledge you garner and a focus on quality will separate you from your competition.

How are you enjoying the snow down Sioux Falls way?

Outdoor Creations
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Snow is pretty melting as we speak. I just would like it to get nice. Oh well it is not much further out.
Have a good one!

F&SLawnCo
04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Ultimately your quality of work, reliability, and overall approach to your business is what will make or break you. I know plenty of guys who do not have a college degree that are amazing landscapers or run very successful lco's. I also know a couple of college educated idiots if you know what I mean. The training and degrees mean nothing if you don't know how to apply them in the real world. Prime example, I have a guy that has worked for my company on and off for 20 years. He can tell you the name of every type of grass, plant, bush, tree, weed, disease, insect, etc., etc. etc. He has tried to start his own business about 5 or 6 times over the years and has never been successful. He definitely knows his stuff, but he has no clue how to run a business. So, like I said knowledge and experience is great if you can apply it, if not then are you really any better off than the guy that just went to Lowes and spent a little cheddar to start his new LAWN AND LANSCAPING BUSINESS. Probably not.

Outdoor Creations
04-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Hit that right on the head!

LindblomRJ
04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
For changing user name head over to this link and start a thread and admin or a moderator can help you out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Have fun!

willietd2
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I bet i seen 6 or 7 new lawncare\landscape companies yesterday, and by the looks of there rigs and equipment there is no way they are legit. these guys were not around the last two years,its just like there crawling out of the wood work. gonna make it rough on us that are legit.. at least until their work starts killing them

AGLA
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
The thing is that you have a supply side and a demand side. As long as there is a demand for hit and run landscapers, there will be people at the ready to fulfill that need. It holds true at every level. If they can't fill a need they won't survive.

You have to think of it this way. They work for people who do not value quality enough to pay for it. If you do quality work that is valued, you'll never lose a job that you had a legitimate shot of getting to one of those hit and run guys and they have no shot at getting the kind of work that you can do.

It is also important to understand that you are equal to your competition and that you define yourself by whom you see as legitimate competitors. If you view these folks as competitors, what does that say about you? Maybe they really are not competitors?

LindblomRJ
04-12-2007, 12:53 AM
I bet i seen 6 or 7 new lawncare\landscape companies yesterday, and by the looks of there rigs and equipment there is no way they are legit. these guys were not around the last two years,its just like there crawling out of the wood work. gonna make it rough on us that are legit.. at least until their work starts killing them

Between new LCOs and weeds they occur every spring. Usually they will thin out when it gets hot, their equipment will break down or the heat kills them.

New customer today told me the kid that was mowing his lawn quit without notice last August.